Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Echolyn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2022 at 17:04
I heard you listening is ok. Maybe I need to listen to it more. I hope the new album is good. It might be my christmas present to myself. :)
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2022 at 00:55
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Mei for me!!! But all their records are good to great.

Agreed
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2023 at 20:04
This thread needs a reboot with this tune.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2023 at 20:39
They should have a new one out soon. I'll report back if I hear anything specific.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2023 at 00:19
Funny, I've just recently begun delving into this group. Leave it to the Grump to always get me.
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2023 at 12:01
I honestly am not the hugest fan of Echolyn surprisingly.

Idk I guess I need more time with them but in terms of retro prog they kinda aren't my cup of tea, but their music sounds pretty good all things considered.
D~B
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2023 at 15:46
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yep, I live in the Philly area so I have seen them live on a few occasions. I even interviewed them once. They are overdue for a new album but the last one was pretty good. Great US prog band that helped "save" prog in the 90's.

Agree
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2023 at 15:49
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

[QUOTE=AFlowerKingCrimson] Again I hope you guys order from prog vendors(like the one I mentioned above) when possible and not major corporations like amazon who already get billions from everyone else.
Laser CD is good also, but a lot of the discs I buy (jazz, fusion, and a even prog) aren't offered by these vendors. So the only choice is the zon.

" For me buying from amazon is kind of like buying a hot dog from a fancy restaurant when there is a hot dog vendor right across the street. "
METAPHOR of the MONTH
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2023 at 20:27
Originally posted by Dapper~Blueberries Dapper~Blueberries wrote:

Idk I guess I need more time with them but in terms of retro prog they kinda aren't my cup of tea, but their music sounds pretty good all things considered.
I wouldn't consider them to be full-on retro prog, despite some of the clear classic era influences. I think the term better describes groups like The Flower Kings, Karfagen, Wobbler, etc.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2023 at 03:11
^ agreed, Echolyn have a much harder edge and their American roots are much more on show whereas 'retro prog' tends to be more of a European style to my ears.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2023 at 03:29
I need to give them another listen soon, they definitely deserve it, I find them more interesting than TFK and that whole scene/style. 
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2023 at 23:14
I mean, they're certainly more original to my ears.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2023 at 02:39
Their self-titled 2012 album is one of the very best post-2000 prog albums imho. Mei is also great.

Edited by someone_else - April 15 2023 at 02:39
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2023 at 07:29
Echolyn are one of my favorite bands. As the World is my favorite album from them.

Edited by Magog2112 - July 06 2023 at 07:30
IncogNeato View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IncogNeato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2023 at 11:03
Originally posted by Magog2112 Magog2112 wrote:

As the World is my favorite album from them.

Mine, too....great album!
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2023 at 16:33
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Makes sense that your love for the latest Bubblemath LP has brought you back to Echolyn!

End and Mei were my intros to the band but they did little for me, so I had trouble digging deeper. But now I've gotten to know Suffocating the Bloom and find myself in absolute awe and love with that album! Very sophisticated, intricate compositions pulled off so smoothly and beautifully! Might even get me to try some others (again)--though this one's gonna stay on the top playlist for some time.

Glad your enjoying some Echolyn!

Actually I was listening to Echolyn before Bubblemath. They both are very different musically, all they share in common is both are from USA.

Will! 
EVERY SINGLE TIME I listen to ANYTHING by Bubblemath--from ANY of their three albums--I am IMMEDIATELY filled with a gut-wrenching visceral reminder of Echolyn. I think it's in their use/sense of melody.

Edited by BrufordFreak - July 06 2023 at 16:34
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
bicwyzer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bicwyzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 06:48
Folks does anyone know what has happened to Echolyn as the last update on there website is from 2019 or so.

I do not have access to social media and don't really care to have it.

If anyone could share I would appreciate it.

Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 09:21
Originally posted by Dapper~Blueberries Dapper~Blueberries wrote:

Nah I change my mind I think they are great now
D~B
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234