Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

National Health fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 23:46
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I love National Health. Unlike most it seems, the self-titled debut is my particular favourite (very solid five star album for me), but I like Of Queues and Cures very much too.

Same here, and they are much dearer to me than Hatfield and the North, which whom they are often lumped together. Not that Hatfield are bad, but emotionally National Health give me far more.

The debut is my fave as well. Elephants is still my go-to track for slicing leaks and just generally strutting my stuff in the kitchen.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 23:52
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I was listening to some of the complete "box" set in my car a couple of weeks ago or so. Good stuff. Anyone else ever notice that the one song incorporates parts of "theme one" by VDGG?

You're thinking of The Collapso, and that same song also quotes the first movement of Igor Stravinsky's Ebony Concerto in an excellent demonstration of that composer's famous adage "lesser composers imitate, great composers steal" Wink
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 01:20
Canterbury fusion is a lot more enjoyable than most American fusion. Pizzio del pozzo and axis are similar bands from Italy and Greece. Bit like Health, Hatfield and Gilgamesh. I also like the jazzed up fusion bands from Netherlands area. Solution, Spin, Placebo. Also Hiromasa Suzuki and Nucleus are cool
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
handwrist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handwrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 02:59
Canterbury fusion is best fusion.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 06:56
Three OUTSTANDING albums from these amazing musos. I just spun D.S. sl Coda this afternoon and it still delivers. My heart is and will always be in the Canterbury Prog sector of things (screw Meshuggah and Suffocation).
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 08:12
^ Yeah D.S. al Coda is underrated. Very good album. Alan Gowen was great!

So happy I've got all 3 on CD. D.S. set me back a few quid, but no regrets at all!

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 09:23
^Plenty of XTC and Zappa in your collection. Nice!
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 10:12
Cheers mate Beer
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 13:06
The segue from Flanagan’s People into Toad Of Toad Hall is just beautiful. Jimmy Hastings’ flute is exquisite and Dave Stewart’s e-piano chords really capture a mood for their absent friend.
I once left some heartfelt words regarding Alan Gowen on the Davebarb website (does it still exist?) which led to the late, great Hugh Hopper emailing me. Some interesting conversations ensued. His collaboration with Gowen - Two Rainbows Daily is magnificent.

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 04 2020 at 13:07
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 12:18
I was lucky to see them just once; in 78 supporting Hillage. I remember Dave Stewart remarking they were on after 'Late Bar'. It wasn't until 84 when I saw their successors - In Cahoots (Miller/Sinclair R/Dean/Pyle/Lemer). Two treasured musical memories.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 17:35
Seeing as National Health is very topical at the moment, this seems like the ideal time to post all of their beloved albums. Smile

National Health (1978)

Of Queues and Cures (1978)

Missing Pieces (1996) (Archival compilation)

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 17:46
Hey Paul you forgot D.S. Al Coda.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2020 at 17:55
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Hey Paul you forgot D.S. Al Coda.

I would have included D.S. Al Coda too, but the full album's not currently available on YouTube. Smile
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 02:42
I had missed this thread's first life a couple of months ago

Just relistened to both historic albums a couple odf days ago.

TBH, I'm not that big on the debut, becase it's fgot too much vocas to my tastes and frankly I always found the Northettes-type of voices * relatively annoying, sometimes irritating. This comment is also valiod for Hatfield's two albums. Fortunately Queues (with its great guests), when vocals are there, it's John Greaves (and surprisingly enough not the great Minton). I also find Queues' composition more energetic.

* by Northettes, I mean it's mainly Amanda Parsons that i dislike, cos I liked a lot Barb Gaskin in Spirogyra. I don't remember much of Rosenthal's voice.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 03:33
^ Binoculars !! Greaves is AMAZING !! His bass during the passage before Stewart’s brief fuzzy solo is out of this world. And they still cranked this stuff out in 1978 - did they not know what year it was ?!!
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 04:51
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Binoculars !! Greaves is AMAZING !! His bass during the passage before Stewart’s brief fuzzy solo is out of this world. And they still cranked this stuff out in 1978 - did they not know what year it was ?!!

You'd be amazed at how many 'hip' New Romantic types in the early 80s would secretly confess to listening to National Health...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 05:49
It's good to see this blog has been brought back to life and is in rude health again. Smile

My review for the first National Health album:- http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2307954

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 03 2020 at 06:00
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2020 at 06:17
Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

You'd be amazed at how many 'hip' New Romantic types in the early 80s would secretly confess to listening to National Health...
I’m sure Nick Beggs would’ve (and I’m, most likely, the only fan of Kajagoogoo here) !!

Edited by Tom Ozric - June 03 2020 at 06:18
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2020 at 04:47
I've just been down to the chemist and I've managed to pick up a prescription for National Health's missing D. S. Al Coda album, so without further ado, here it is. Smile

1. Portrait Of A Shrinking Man

2. TNTFX

3. Black Hat

4. I Feel A Night Coming On

5. Arriving Twice

6. Shining Water

7. Tales Of A Damson Knight

8. Flanagan's People

9. Toad Of Toad Hall

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 05 2020 at 04:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12