Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [35.71%]
9 [64.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SNL vs Seinfeld
    Posted: January 24 2020 at 11:17
While SNL ( Saturday Nigh Live) is a skit series/stand-up comedy ground - an instetution of stage craft. Seinfeld is a standalone show made feom four / five, Jungian archetypes (Jerry, Kramer, Elaine, George and partly Newman) redefined humor in the 90s. While SNL shaped humor of the early 70s and 80s ( With skits and films like Blues Borthers and Ghostbusters). And people like Steve Martin, Dan Akroyd, Bill Murry, and Chevy Chase among others made SNL into a juggernaut of comedy, i dare say Seinfeld as an instetution is almost as impactfull.

Edited by Icarium - January 24 2020 at 12:24
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 12:27
Easily Seinfeld 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 12:56
Seinfeld was about 100% NOTHING!! And they made it the funniest TV sitcom ever.......

What brought SNL back to life and pretty much saved it was Eddie Murphy....I was a SNL mainstay since the mid 70's my best friend and I would stay up to watch but being teens we would not make it thru the whole show... then their dive into political one-sided BS drove me away 2-3yrs ago.

Seinfeld was brilliance.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 06:57
Hi,

During this time, I was already into the English comedy, and had a very large Goons collection, almost a complete Monty Python, and its various members, and the Bonzo's and solos.

I, honestly, did not find Seinfold or SNLimp very good, and specially well written ... considering that is had a lot of well known names in writing, and more often then not did not use them at all ... and for my tastes, after you saw one show, maybe two of them ... you have seen it all!

I would never even consider trading a Seinfudge for any of Peter Sellers' albums for example ... far funnier and intelligent ... but sometimes, in choosing "favorites" ... I don't know that we're considering the ability of the writing ... because if we were, the original "Bedazzled" would be considered a masterpiece ... but in the end, all we liked in Seinfurr and SNLisp was the fact that it was "visual" and just another "gag" ... not really well defined comedy!

For my tastes!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 11:38
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

During this time, I was already into the English comedy, and had a very large Goons collection, almost a complete Monty Python, and its various members, and the Bonzo's and solos.

I, honestly, did not find Seinfold or SNLimp very good, and specially well written ... considering that is had a lot of well known names in writing, and more often then not did not use them at all ... and for my tastes, after you saw one show, maybe two of them ... you have seen it all!

I would never even consider trading a Seinfudge for any of Peter Sellers' albums for example ... far funnier and intelligent ... but sometimes, in choosing "favorites" ... I don't know that we're considering the ability of the writing ... because if we were, the original "Bedazzled" would be considered a masterpiece ... but in the end, all we liked in Seinfurr and SNLisp was the fact that it was "visual" and just another "gag" ... not really well defined comedy!

For my tastes!

Seinfeld was not "visual" and it was not built on "gags" like SNL was. SNL had many skits that were not funny at all, especially in recent years, its clearly long in the tooth now.

Seinfeld was not like Sellers stuff or English comedy, far from it so not sure why even make the comparison.
The brilliance of Seinfeld was that it was about nothing...if you don't understand that then Seinfeld could never be funny for you as you are probably trying to figure it out.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 19:25
SNL has invented and re-invented itself so many times.  That alone deserves a lot of respect.  Seinfeld hit gold on that 2nd season episode about the pony and never let go until the uneven last season and the really unfunny finale.  So although they can't really be compared, I go with Seinfeld
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 19:33
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Seinfeld was not "visual" and it was not built on "gags" like SNL was. SNL had many skits that were not funny at all, especially in recent years, its clearly long in the tooth now.

Seinfeld was not like Sellers stuff or English comedy, far from it so not sure why even make the comparison.
The brilliance of Seinfeld was that it was about nothing...if you don't understand that then Seinfeld could never be funny for you as you are probably trying to figure it out.

It wasn't meant to be a comparison ... but for me, both of those just did not click ... but then, at the time a lot of American stuff didn't either ... I was into the European music and arts heavy duty, and a lot of American stuff was left behind, though a lot of the folks I grew up with, I always loved them and never forgot them ... JA, Doors, Quicksilver, Spirit, GD ... all of the 60's lived with me ... but the new "TV" just was not for me ... I didn't watch TV at that time, and have not had a TV in my place for over 35 or more ... but what I did see, I did not think it was funny at all ... just that ... no comparisons meant!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 01:07
I watched the entire first season of Seinfeld and didn't find it funny at all - probably because I'm English - but I've always enjoyed Saturday Night Live, especially Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey. Smile
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 05:06
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I watched the entire first season of Seinfeld and didn't find it funny at all - probably because I'm English - but I've always enjoyed Saturday Night Live, especially Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey. Smile
I find it difficult to enjoy British humour such as Monty Python and Benny Hill. Environment and location must have something to do with that. Seinfeld for me wins this poll. SNL, has too many non-funny skits, even through the early years.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 08:16

I watched the entire first season of Seinfeld and didn't find it funny at all -

The first couple seasons of Seinfeld are very hit or miss. More miss than hit as far as I'm concerned. Season three is where they really started to hit their stride. 

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 08:24
For me, easily Seinfeld. One of my favorite shows. 

SNL certainly has had it's moments but has also been astonishingly pedestrian and unfunny at times. Very uneven. Many people prefer the oldest days with the original cast but for me the days of Hartman, Carvey, Myers, etc is my favorite era. Certainly one of the shows highest points.
Later highlights include the Celebrity Jeopardy skits and Will Ferrell as Harry Carey.   
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 11:00
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I find it difficult to enjoy British humour such as Monty Python and Benny Hill. Environment and location must have something to do with that. Seinfeld for me wins this poll. SNL, has too many non-funny skits, even through the early years.
I do like Larry David and Curb Your Enthusiasm though and I'm a huge fan of Home Improvement with Tim "the toolman" Taylor. Smile 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 11:14
I made this poll in how i view the inspiration of humor/comedy to by cyclical and one can not percive what shal be the most influentual elements within eac and respected decade. But it struck me as interesting how different the comedic landscape in the 80s was very much shaped by SNL, mostly through individuals as John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Steve Martin and Martin Short, later they created inspired movies like wacky Blues Borthers and goofy Ghostbusters. Though Johnny Carsons theTonight Show might have been as infuentual as SNL for letting Stand-up comedian utulize the effect og Ed Sullivan theater for their stand-up rutine, later on David Letterman evolved with the Late Show a more silly comedy even John Cleese praised how silly Late zhsow undrr Dave were at their hight of the 80s.

Jerry is obviously toched by the energy of both SNL and talk shows like Tonight abd Late Show. He and Larry utulized the quickness of stand-up comedy with the serial format of the sitcom. a unique blend..
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 15:55
SNL.......even though Seinfeld was funny at times I also thought it was stupid at times.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply