Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pendragon's Love Over Fear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pendragon's Love Over Fear
    Posted: February 10 2020 at 01:16
I am waiting for the delivery of this album this week. I am really looking forward to giving it a listen as it had topped to 2020 chart for a few days. But now it has disappeared! I am intrigued to know how 22 ratings on Prog Archives suddenly changed to 3 ratings. Has a higher authority rejected 19 ratings? I wonder why?
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=64180
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 01:33
Because it hasn’t been released yet. Those ratings are most likely from folks who downloaded the album illegally.
Anyways admins try to delete these types of ratings that occur before the actual release date of X new album
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
CJG View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 01:45
Well that is interesting and makes sense but I can remember other albums appearing in the top album chart before release and not being handled in this way?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 01:51
With the “bigger” releases ie bands that people seem to know well around these parts, it usually gets picked up on fairly quickly. With others not so much

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 10 2020 at 01:52
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 02:31
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Because it hasn’t been released yet. Those ratings are most likely from folks who downloaded the album illegally.
Anyways admins try to delete these types of ratings that occur before the actual release date of X new album

No,incorrect, it was on pre-order since months back and thousands of serious fans pre-ordered and started taking delivery about a month ago, so if anything their reviews are more valid. And it was released on the 8th and is available on dozens of music sites.

Edited by LAM-SGC - February 10 2020 at 02:33
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 02:35
Originally posted by CJG CJG wrote:

I am waiting for the delivery of this album this week. I am really looking forward to giving it a listen as it had topped to 2020 chart for a few days. But now it has disappeared! I am intrigued to know how 22 ratings on Prog Archives suddenly changed to 3 ratings. Has a higher authority rejected 19 ratings? I wonder why?
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=64180
Because it was available directly from the band as a pre-ordwr way back in November. Delivered early January mostly.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 02:38
I am merely going by how PA usually works
We are not happy about ratings and reviews before the actual release date UNLESS the reviewer somehow can prove that he or she got an early copy. With ratings only this is almost impossible.
I gather the 3 ratings the album has now were given after the official release date, so everything should be in order?

- Douglas Adams
CJG View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 02:39
Maybe Admin has been somewhat premature and made some very broad assumptions here?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 02:43
I’m not part of the admin team anymore but I really don’t think so.
Here you can judge for yourself: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28343&PN=251

If you only knew how much ratings manipulation we see on here every day, you’d probably feel the same about scrapping early bird ratings...most especially ratings only as they can come from anyone who downloaded the album illegally.

- Douglas Adams
CJG View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CJG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 02:46
I think a similar thing happened to a Guy Manning release a few years ago and Prog Archives lost a lot of credibility and certainly the loss of the support of the band Manning as a result. If fans are interested enough about a release to give it a rating I think it is wrong for Prog Archives to make broad assumptions which invalidate perfectly valid ratings. I can't believe that illegal downloading is much an issue now given the extent of streaming. Surely it is time to revisit this blanket PA rule which is being applied arbitrarily or PA will lose further credibility.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 02:56

I think a similar thing happened to a Guy Manning release a few years ago and Prog Archives lost a lot of credibility and certainly the loss of the support of the band Manning as a result. If fans are interested enough about a release to give it a rating I think it is wrong for Prog Archives to make broad assumptions which invalidate perfectly valid ratings. I can't believe that illegal downloading is much an issue now given the extent of streaming. Surely it is time to revisit this blanket PA rule which is being applied arbitrarily or PA will lose further credibility.

Like it's been said, the album is not even out and people rate it, because possibly the album has leaked. It's just wrong, I wish people were patient (asking too much from some).
There's also rating abuse, which is another issue rather difficult to deal with.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 05:55
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Like it's been said, the album is not even out and people rate it, because possibly the album has leaked. It's just wrong, I wish people were patient (asking too much from some).
There's also rating abuse, which is another issue rather difficult to deal with.

It is out, I've had my copy for over a week now! The release date was brought forward.

And it's brilliant in case you were wondering
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 05:58
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

It is out, I've had my copy for over a week now! The release date was brought forward.

I saw the album getting ratings a little while ago, I wanted to report it somehow, but to whom and how/where. It was rating abuse.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 06:15

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I saw the album getting ratings a little while ago, I wanted to report it somehow, but to whom and how/where. It was rating abuse.
that would depend on when the ratings were done, as it has been out for a while now. I think the pre-orders were delivered early January, I ordered mine later and have had it for over a week.
CJG View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 08:53
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I’m not part of the admin team anymore but I really don’t think so.
Here you can judge for yourself: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28343&PN=251

If you only knew how much ratings manipulation we see on here every day, you’d probably feel the same about scrapping early bird ratings...most especially ratings only as they can come from anyone who downloaded the album illegally.

Well I ploughed through the stuff about some idiot rating all DT albums one star (there are plenty of people who do that for other bands by the way). It all gets smoother out by the sensible listeners ultimately so who cares.

I did eventually come across the stuff about Pendragon and was pretty under-whelmed by it. The thread even quotes those raters who preordered the album, have received it and have rated it and yet PA still believes these people are downloading illegally or that reviewers/ raters of albums should wait until the wider release date. What absolute nonsense.
I have been listening to the latest release by Rick Miller and a fine release it is too. It isn't being given general CD release until March/ April but is available to try or to buy on Bandcamp. Am I not allowed to rate this or review it because it is not generally available yet?
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 09:19
^No one cares about an actual physical release date, Rick Miller seems to have the official release date as 5 February, so whatever the format he is using be it digital or physical, it's on the artists themselves to define it. We might not keep up to date with every album release date but hypes around more known new albums mostly bring more manipulators than one expects and I am not sorry at all to do an occasional clean up based on IP addresses and such. Especially when they're just ratings instead of reviews.

We will always treasure reviews more than ratings, that's why we encourage people posting how they have received the album if it's an early bird, but broad assumptions are the way to go to manage ratings on a site this size. As you said yourself, people who care will eventually smooth out the actual rating but we might as well give them a clean slate to begin with it.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 10:12
I’ve had mine for over a month now, so it is possible some of those ratings were genuine.

However, as has been said, if you like it, review it. Then there are no issues.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 13:43
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I’ve had mine for over a month now, so it is possible some of those ratings were genuine.

However, as has been said, if you like it, review it. Then there are no issues.

I agree.
 Post Reply Post Reply