Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jurgen Haible Krautrock Phaser

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jurgen Haible Krautrock Phaser
    Posted: May 01 2020 at 10:10
Some time ago, 1970, to be exact, a firm called Schulte (sic) in Berlin produced a classic phaser known as the Compact Phaser A. 

This was used by Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schultze etc etc etc. It was VERY primitive and used lightbulbs and photocells. Sounded great, though. 

In 2007, a German fella called Jurgen Haible redesigned the Compact Phaser A as a kit. Trouble was, he kept the lamps and photocells - integral to the sound, really. These components were made of Unobtainium. 

After a redesign by Random Source, some kits came onto the market - "PCB and rare bits". My mate Dai bought a kit and then realised he'd never have time to build it. 

So he very kindly gave it to me. Out with the soldering iron. ;-)

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 10:11
Now, this is still being built (it's spaghetti in there) but I've got 40% of the electronics done. The rest are going to be attacked tomorrow. In the meantime, I've made my own case, using vintage knobs and switches. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 10:12
I'm designing some vinyl wrap graphics for the case in a groovy psychedelic style...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 10:14
And this is what it sounds like. Someone else's build. Jump to 4 minutes in. 

Well, I don't have room to build another modular synth anymore, or four years of spare weekends. ;-)

Edited by Davesax1965 - May 01 2020 at 10:23

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2020 at 10:32
Build coming along. Wiring shortly ! 

I hate wiring. ;-)

Edited by Davesax1965 - May 02 2020 at 10:33

bionic dog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bionic dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 20:02
The Kraut Rock Phaser sounds really nice. I had a clone made by Mode Machines that sounded pretty sweet.

Enjoy it they are pretty special sounding. The secret ingredient is the resonance IMHO.
 Post Reply Post Reply