Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to the Forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to the Forum
    Posted: October 23 2020 at 11:35
Howdy. Just figured I'd introduce myself.

My parents have both been heavy prog-heads since before I was born. I had two albums that, as a young kid, I would listen to before I went to bed every night. They were The Man Machine by Kraftwerk and Poland by Tangerine Dream.
My first concert was Magma which is one of my dad's top 5 bands if not top 3. My favorite concert was a Jean Michele Jarre concert.
I have a wide taste in music and am always looking for recommendations.

I can't tell you how excited I am to be here. I registered last night and picked the first band I didn't recognize the name of. Yezda Urfa is now one of my favorite bands of all time.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 11:43
Hi, welcome! Does your username come from the Ayreon stuff? Dawn of a Million Souls is one of my favourite songs. Star

You can try out Exises' Reternity album. A cool gem with a sci-fi vibe.
TheUniversalMigrator View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 11:53
It is Ayreon! It's nice to finally be able to talk to people who know the same bands. I've only ever encountered an ayreon fan in the wild once before at a Steven Wilson concert.

I'll definitely check out that album. Thank you.
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 12:38
Welcome to the forum!

I love Ayreon's 01011001 and The Human Equation.

Seeing that you like Kraftwerk & Tangerine Dream... try Vangelis' two albums "Hypothesis" and "The Dragon."

They are from sessions he did in 1971 (that he wasn't very happy with, actually), and were never intended to be released.  The record company forged signatures & released them anyway.  Vangelis sued them & won, and had the release taken off the market...

Vangelis on keys, and some other dudes on bass, violin & drums.  The drummer being Tony Oxley, who's a jazz heavyweight.

The music is more prog-jazz than the heavy synthesizer wizardry most people associate with Vangelis. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 13:01
Great to have you.   I assume you know Schulze's solo work.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 13:34
What a coincidence. Those are all my dad's favorites.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 14:16
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Hi, welcome! Does your username come from the Ayreon stuff? Dawn of a Million Souls is one of my favourite songs. Star

You can try out Exises' Reternity album. A cool gem with a sci-fi vibe.

I'm listening to Reternity right now. It's absolutely phenomenal! Thanks.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 16:45
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Great to have you.   I assume you know Schulze's solo work.

I'm familiar with Dig It. I'm a big fan of that album. I'm currently training my ear for the more intense stuff like Audentity.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 17:11
Welcome aboard.
Quote Yezda Urfa is now one of my favorite bands of all time.
Yeah cool choice! Cool
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 17:13
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Welcome aboard.
Quote <span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Yezda Urfa is now one of my favorite bands of all time.
Yeah cool choice! Cool</span>

Thank you. I'm still looking for more. What's their best album?
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 17:27
I'm not so familiar with them but Boris is one of the best albums in Art Rock Scene, I consider. Thumbs Up
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 17:33
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

I'm not so familiar with them but Boris is one of the best albums in Art Rock Scene, I consider. Thumbs Up

Awesome thank you!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 18:07
Welcome to PA..........Enjoy the music!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 11:44
They just have the two studio sessions, and Boris was largely a demo.  I prefer Sacred Baboon, and there's a live I haven't heard but I'd be very curious about.   Amazing band.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 11:52
I thought that parts of Boris sounded just like parts of Sacred Baboon at times. Boris being a demo album makes sense.
Eicca View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eicca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 13:24
Welcome! I'm new too.

I have a whole set of albums from Ayreon to listen. Actually the only one I digested and analyzed is "The Human Equation" and recently watched The Theater Equation. Amazing and leaves you thinking. 

The ending, where "Forever, of the stars" talks made me realize that I should listen and analyze Into the Electric Castle and... since everything is connected, every other album. It will be an amazing experience

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 14:10
The Human Equation is an epic album. My favorite Ayreon album is one that ProfPanglos mentioned. 01011001. In my opinion his best work.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 13:00
I really don't see Ayreon being a good fit for this member, but whatever ...

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 13:04
^ What? Colour me confused.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheUniversalMigrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2020 at 13:04
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I really don't see Ayreon being a good fit for this member, but whatever ...

Perhaps not, but it can't hurt.
 Post Reply Post Reply