Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Symphonic prog bands with orchestra?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2020 at 08:54
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Keith Emerson's Piano Concerto No. 1 comes to mind (though I don't think it's very good, personally)

Hi,

Yeah ... but the problem here is that "progressive music" fans, and/or "prog" fans, are not educated enough to go EVEN listen to Rachel Flowers do this Concerto and also Tarkus on her piano, so folks can see the relationship of Keith's music to classical music, and even possibly an orchestra. Between these and other works, I would always state that Keith is one of the most undervalued pianist of the 20th century ... his (likely) bad was that he lived in a time when folks wanted a new something or other, and the synthesizer took over, and he used it to great effect ... but we think it's all rock music antics, and in the end, it was an expression that really made his music more valuable ... but we don't see that ... had he played the piano instead, he would be laughed off the stage and killed sooner!

Cold day in hell, that our group will EVER appreciate something truly symphonic within the progressive/prog group ... we are some of the worst fans of music, and even created a definition that has nothing to do with music ... that has not been done before, meaning that the definition is stupid and not musically intelligent like the players that created it!

Typical! The audience is always the last one to get it ... we have theater's 500 years to show for it, and then a lot of music since as well! And today's modern music is no different, when some of it is just weirdness for weirdness' sakes, considered important ... because we don't know the difference!

Edited by moshkito - November 03 2020 at 08:55
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2020 at 09:13
Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

PS... The question reminds me of James Last and his Orchestra who was very popular in Germany.  He put anything and everything Pop and Rock and Disco to Orchestra in the 70s.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just no🤣

Although since my Dad died and left me his collection of JL vinyl I've come round a little.....BUT THEY WON'T SELL FOR ENOUGH ON EBAY🙄🙄🙄😄
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2020 at 09:19
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just no🤣

Although since my Dad died and left me his collection of JL vinyl I've come round a little.....BUT THEY WON'T SELL FOR ENOUGH ON EBAY🙄🙄🙄😄

Oh so he was also popular in South Wales?????? LMAO

Edited by Spaciousmind - November 03 2020 at 09:19
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2020 at 10:04
The Psychedelic Ensemble (http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=5153). Both "Tale of the Golden King" and "Sunstone" were created and recorded with an orchestra (and conductor), by a gifted individual who is, himself, an accomplished classical composer. (Note: Ignore the fact that PA has classified him as NeoProg. He is clearly symphonic).

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2020 at 11:45
Esperanto ?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 00:26
Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Pirates

I never know why this is so overlooked as its one of my favourites by them.

BTW Emerson's Piano Concerto No 1 is rather wonderful. I can't think of any rock musician who could even dream of doing something as creatively pure as this. It has a fantastic wealth of ideas and some wonderful parts. I always think of it as a very 'English' work even though Emerson was apparently inspired by Copeland! 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 03:35
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Yeah ... but the problem here is that "progressive music" fans, and/or "prog" fans, are not educated enough to go EVEN listen to Rachel Flowers do this Concerto and also Tarkus on her piano, 

Here you go again. I've listened to her plenty of times, including Tarkus.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 07:31
Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Just no🤣

Oh so he was also popular in South Wales?????? LMAO

Don't know, but he was very popular with my parents in Essex🤣
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 06:13
Has anybody mentioned Keith Emerson's Piano Concerto n.1 yet? 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 06:14
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

BTW Emerson's Piano Concerto No 1 is rather wonderful. I can't think of any rock musician who could even dream of doing something as creatively pure as this. It has a fantastic wealth of ideas and some wonderful parts. I always think of it as a very 'English' work even though Emerson was apparently inspired by Copeland! 

Exactly what I mean
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 09:11

Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Apocalypse is the Mahavishnu Orchestra's fourth album, released in 1974.

It is performed by the second line-up of the Mahavishnu Orchestra and the London Symphony Orchestra. It was produced by George Martin, who regards it as “one of the best records [he has] ever made”.[5]

liked this one a lot. A nice blend of orchestra and standard instruments. Some of the suggestions I've tried has lacked a bit of the prog energy, but this album delivered. They also blend in some jazzier elements. I mostly listen to prog with vocals, but it's not something one typically find in classical music. If I should point out one thing this albums lacks, it's vocals.

Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Keith Emerson's Piano Concerto No. 1 comes to mind (though I don't think it's very good, personally)

The piano is one of my favorite instruments, so I don't mind a piano concerto. This one is also not entirely piano, but I find it integrates the orchestra quite well. It is perhaps more in the classical area than prog, but absolutely a good listen.

Originally posted by Cinema Cinema wrote:

Magnification by Yes was written for an orchestra. Larry Groupé wrote the orchestration for the album. Personally speaking, Magnification is one of Yes' most underrated, under appreciated albums.

I've always liked Magnification and consider it their best work since the 70's. Not on level with their best albums, but well worth a listen. I haven't thought about it featuring an orchestra, but I will next time I hear it.

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

One of my favorites by Mahavishu Orchestra....electric instruments plus orchestra plus choral vocals!  Heaven!

Visions of the Emerald Beyond

Lots of energy in this one! I like the choral vocals. The violins at times reminded me of Jean-Luc Ponty. Nicely wrapped up in 40 minutes with 13 shorter pieces. Being a fan of a musical genre which often takes to long, complex tracks (that I also love), I enjoy albums where every song is 2-5 minutes long. Short, but sweet. Thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Good song.

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Yeah ... but the problem here is that "progressive music" fans, and/or "prog" fans, are not educated enough to go EVEN listen to Rachel Flowers do this Concerto and also Tarkus on her piano, so folks can see the relationship of Keith's music to classical music, and even possibly an orchestra

I'm not familiar with her, so thanks for the tip. I coincidentally came across this while looking for her on Youtube:

Seems like it has potential to be quite good.

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 13:41
^Jean-Luc actually plays on Visions of the Emerald Beyond. So, good ear!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 19:34
How about Wakeman's Journey and King Arthur albums? Or Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother suite? And in defense of Yes Symphonic Live, yeah, I know they are playing music not originally intended for an orchestra, but the orchestrations blend together with the band so wonderfully... for me so much better than most of those kind of symphonic concerts, that it almost sounds as if it had been written to be played like that. And then, there's Magnification too, of course.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 03:06
I love Atom Heart Mother, but I suspect I'm in a minority. My favorite band+orchestra albums are still Caravan and The New Symphonia and Procul Harum with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 06:33
Am I allowed to mention Nightwish?😎
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2020 at 23:11
This interesting adaptation of Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf" features the English Chorale!  

The Rock Peter and the Wolf is an album adapting Sergei Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf by Jack Lancaster and Robin Lumley released in 1975. As the title suggests, it features a rock arrangement of Prokofiev's music. Performers on the album include Jack LancasterRobin LumleyGary BrookerBill BrufordPhil CollinsJulie TippettStephane GrappelliJon HisemanBrian EnoAlvin LeeGary MooreCozy PowellManfred MannKeith TippettViv Stanshall, and the English Chorale. This album is notable for featuring the first lineup of a band that would later become Brand X.

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 00:04
Labeled under RPI but still pretty symphonic, how about RDM's Contaminazione? (or Contamination if, like me, you've only got your hands on the English language version).
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 03:18
This is a great album which I've enjoyed for years! However, the entirety of Brand X -- Collins, Jones, Lumley and Goodsall -- all appear earlier on Eddie Howell "Gramophone Record". Don't waste your time and money tracking down this scarcity, though; it sounds nothing like Brand X whatsoever; they're just the studio band for Howell's collection of pop songs (which are mediocre IMHO).

PROGMATIC
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 21:13
If you're talking about prog rock musicians writing music for symphonic orchestra you'll find very little of that. However if you mean prog rock with symphonic orchestra you'll find loads of music. The difference is when you have a 40 -60 piece symphony orchestra the orchestral parts are highly intricate. You need a trained classical musician to write all the parts. You often find trained classical musicians who compose film scores often collaborate with prog rock bands to write their music with orchestra. I'm not sure, but Keith Emerson might have composed all the music for his piano concerto. His mistake was calling it a piano concerto because then it gets compared to other piano concertos by the great classical music composers when it really shouldn't. It's actually a good piece of music I think. The other prog rock artist who has composed symphonic music is Tony Banks.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2020 at 22:39
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123