Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Poll #Fri 13 Female Singer-Songwriters
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll #Fri 13 Female Singer-Songwriters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Poll Question: Never Fear! It's The Ladie's Turn!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.44%]
7 [17.07%]
3 [7.32%]
1 [2.44%]
7 [17.07%]
1 [2.44%]
4 [9.76%]
1 [2.44%]
4 [9.76%]
3 [7.32%]
2 [4.88%]
2 [4.88%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.44%]
4 [9.76%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 15:16
Literally every single song, when listened to consciously and/or for the second time, has something special. How annoying for making my mind up... and well done folks!
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 15:20
I absolutely agree with you, there!  Even if I didn't mention someone specifically, all of the selections were choice material.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 16:08
Good songs overall. Two stand out here, these seem to have an added dimension: Faun Fables and Frau Morgenstern. My third vote I'd grant to Heather Nova.

Honourable mentions: An Pierlé, Angelica Garcia and Fiona Apple.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 04:10
Ultimately it comes down to Heather Nova vs. Nico vs. Melanie vs. Francesca Lago vs. An Pierle. I can't really exclude hardly anything, let me also mention Annika Akjaer and Lianne Le Havas (the only one of these apart from Barbara Morgenstern I have seen live), but ultimately of course I have to...

So out of the top five... I'll look a bit at who has votes already, and surely Nico and Melanie deserve them, so that'll be my top two... and of the others I'm today most drawn to Francesca Lago. But really, I can understand why moshkito tends to write he doesn't like "Top X" as ranking hardly can do classy works justice.

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 04:15
I enjoyed this one as well and it was a tough battle to my podium:

1. Barbara Morgenstern - Angel's Whisper
2. An Pierlé - Helium Sunset
3. Francesca Lago - Bring the Noise

And my cop out from the last poll remains---the rest for honorable mentions.

@Nickie, glad you got a laugh from Lily Allen. Catchy tune and chorus does get stuck in my head. Caught myself almost singing it out loud at the store the other day, although it would have been muffled by the face mask I was wearing.  

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 04:44
A good night of sleep, the rain pouring outside, a nice cup of coffee. Perfect day for listening to this Approve
I think Heather Nova and Barbara Morgenstern stand out more in this poll. I could have chosen any other for my third vote but gave the first vote for Anneka Aakjaer, lovely tune.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 06:47
This poll is one of my favourite. 

The music is excellent.

My podium:

1) Gold medal: NICO: Mutterlein.

This song is an absolute masterpiece. It's spectral free-folk-jazz music with a dissonant relationship between vocals and music. Thanks to John Cale for the arrangement and the production.

Desertshore is on of my fave album ever.

Many other songs are excellent but this song, for my taste, sets them all by a great distance.

2) Silver Medal: Barbara Morgenstein: Silver medal: remarkable orchestral song, excellent vocal performance by the singer and the choir

3) Bronze Medal: Faun Fables: Goodbye. For the third position, in my mind there was a duel between this song and Heather Nova's song. Both are excellent, wonderful vocal performance, and in the end Goodbye won for the
excentric arrangement.

----------------------------

Honorable mentions:

4) Heather Nova

5) Annika Aakjær “Kjøvenhavner-sangen (The Copenhagen song)”

6) Anjelica Garcia

7) An Pierlè

8) Mary Black

Edited by jamesbaldwin - November 25 2020 at 06:54
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 08:38
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I enjoyed this one as well and it was a tough battle to my podium:

1. Barbara Morgenstern - Angel's Whisper
2. An Pierlé - Helium Sunset
3. Francesca Lago - Bring the Noise

And my cop out from the last poll remains---the rest for honorable mentions.

@Nickie, glad you got a laugh from Lily Allen. Catchy tune and chorus does get stuck in my head. Caught myself almost singing it out loud at the store the other day, although it would have been muffled by the face mask I was wearing.  

LOL
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 13:26
A strong edition, but perhaps I missed a few more songs in a major key. My votes go to:

Nico - "Mütterleiin"
Lianne La Havas - “Courage”
Fiona Apple - "Sullen Girl"
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2020 at 14:36
Nova
Fables
Martin

but several that didn't make the cut were actually my favorites...really liked London Song by Nova...and the Peacock track and Dar Williams.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789