Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which band is closer to prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which band is closer to being prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [9.43%]
22 [41.51%]
2 [3.77%]
2 [3.77%]
3 [5.66%]
4 [7.55%]
15 [28.30%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 08:16
Neither.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 09:00
I am on record here stating that XTC should ABSOLUTELY be included on PA.

Their music is progressive and they have all worked with major Prog artists outside of XTC.

Ever heard of Big Big Train? Or Robert Fripp? Mike Keneally? Peter Blegvad? Billy Sherwood?

But every metal or jazz artist under the sun makes it on here.

It's annoying. And wrong.
The Prog Corner
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 11:20
XTC
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 13:56
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Their music is progressive and they have all worked with major Prog artists outside of XTC.

Ever heard of Big Big Train? Or Robert Fripp? Mike Keneally? Peter Blegvad? Billy Sherwood?

Let's not forget to mention Days between Stations Smile.
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 14:02
Neither. I have most of their albums and appreciate each band for their I individual musicality. However I never put on the Big Express or Songs from the Big Chair for their prog content. Both bands are however excellent.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 22:10
^ Yes...and I don't put on Led Zep, The Who, Beatles, or Hendrix for their prog content yet they are all on PA as either proto or prog related.
So,,,what's the deal?

Stern Smile

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 02:19
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I love XTC but I don't agree. Working with prog artists is not a qualification for inclusion and they've never done anything that I would call prog. Which genre would you put them in?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 04:18
Both are great bands. I don't have a strong preference, but overall, I regard XTC as marginally more progressive. I certainly think their sound and style was more original.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 05:21
The cynic in me sees that there seems to be a need to find 'Prog' credentials in every artist on the planet, which for me is diluting the whole concept of Progarchives. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 05:26
If we can have the Synth-Pop band Talk Talk on ProgArchives, then why not have Tears for Fears too? Wink
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 05:28
^ Listen to the Talk Talk albums, especially the later ones, and you'll understand why they are listed here... Nothing to do with TFF.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 06:50
Good match-up, 'Crimso'.

Edited by Rednight - November 18 2020 at 06:50
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 07:10
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

If we can have the Synth-Pop band Talk Talk on ProgArchives, then why not have Tears for Fears too? Wink

Yes, Talk Talk started off as a synth band but listen to their later stuff (e.g. Spirit of Eden). It is very much not synth-pop.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 07:32
Tears for Fears have a lot of intrickesiys in ther music, that escapes the general listener but underneeth it simmers with energetic and quirky ambissions. "A Song from a Big Chair" have plenty of songs that are super-intircate. That demands akot from the listener yet are also very nice to liten to while as a casual background music, serves both occations.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 07:43
Hi,

In this poll, XTC is the winner for sure. However, XTC fits a lot more in one area that is very ENGLISH ... and also used in Literature, Theater and Film .. . the ECCENTRIC. 

And its music is centered around that person and feeling, and whether that is considered progressive or not, can be very debatable, however, in terms of creative output? XTC makes most of the top 100 bands listed look ridiculous!

WAKE UP ... this world is over ... and the next one begins! And you are a box of chocolates! (before Gump!!!)

(Even Psych Paul doesn't get it on this band! Lyrics made for his strings of consciousness and song titles!)
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2020 at 21:33
I like both so I don't really care how prog they are.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2020 at 11:16
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

The cynic in me sees that there seems to be a need to find 'Prog' credentials in every artist on the planet, which for me is diluting the whole concept of Progarchives. 

Pray tell....what is the 'whole concept of Progarchives'..?
Wink

btw ,this is the main page statement..."PROG ARCHIVES intends to be the most complete and powerful progressive rock resource."  
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12