Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kia ora!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kia ora!
    Posted: January 05 2021 at 08:21
Upon reading a post in this section of the forum, it occurs to me that I’ve never introduced myself. I’ve been using this site for over a decade, but registered for the forum only in 2013, and I have a feeling that I didn’t make a single post in the forum until this year, although I have certainly enjoyed reading the discussions and arguments over the years, even if I’ve not participated in them.

I’m from New Zealand, but have lived in the UK since March 2001. I’ve not quite reached the point where I’ve lived half my life in the UK, but it is becoming ever closer. A couple of years ago, I would have said it was a dead cert that I would reach that point, but the twin catastrophes of Brexit and COVID-19 do make returning to Aotearoa an incredibly attractive proposition.

I’ve been a reviewer with The Progressive Aspect since January 2020, and that has has a lot to do with my increased presence on this site, as I had a couple of musicians whose albums I had reviewed on TPA, ask if I could put my review up on PA, too. It’s not something I had ever considered previously. Despite visiting the site on a regular basis, I had never really felt like submitting a review. I suspect it was because I wasn’t sure where to start, and wondering je my reviews would really add much. I’m still not sure that they add much, but being asked to post a review by someone else does provide more impetus to do so than any of my own inclinations.

For awhile, I was posting my reviews from TPA here, only as I was asked to do so. But I reached a point where I am now in the process of copying them all over. If some are here, they may as well all be - or, at least, as many as I can actually copy over (since many of the albums I have reviewed do not appear within PA). Perhaps, at this rate, I may even start writing some reviews for albums other than those I have reviewed on TPA. I don’t know. As much as I have visited this site loads, I’m still finding my feet as a contributor.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 08:29
Welcome to the forum. I'm not a million miles away from you in deepest Essex. Whereabouts in Suffolk are you?
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 08:31
Shouldn't that be 'Kiwi Aura'?? Wink
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 08:54
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Welcome to the forum. I'm not a million miles away from you in deepest Essex. Whereabouts in Suffolk are you?
About halfway between Newmarket and Bury St Edmunds - though my Kiwi Aura possibly extends further.....

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 11:03
Welcome Nick. Really enjoying your reviews.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 11:07
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Welcome Nick. Really enjoying your reviews.

Thanks! Glad someone is. I am well aware I suffer from verbal diarrhoea, and tend to waffle on a bit  -  so if anyone gets any enjoyment out of any of my reviews at all, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! 🤗

Edited by nick_h_nz - January 05 2021 at 11:07
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 12:34
Hey Ho Nick O !
I also lurked on the site for a few years before registering.
It's even more fun now.
Welcome (officially).Thumbs Up
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 13:04
Lurking was definitely fun, but I’m enjoying participating in the posting, too. More than I expected to, for sure!

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 03:37
Given I am now a member of the prog metal team, I figure I may as well add to my introduction.

I really don’t listen to music by genre, and unlike some here who proudly proclaim that the description of the music is part of their appreciation of the music, I pretty much listen to anything, regardless of genre. Also, regardless of era, or geographic origin. I try to be as open-minded as I can be when it comes to listening to music, and although certain genres are less likely to give me enjoyment, there is no genre I could ever truthfully say I dislike. If I listened to music purely based upon the genres that most often seem to come up with something that appeals, I would have missed out on some absolutely fabulous albums.

Because I’ve never thought of prog metal as being a particular favourite of mine (which is, of course, not at all the same as saying I dislike it, or am disinterested in it), I was initially unsure of whether I should accept the invitation to join the the prog metal team. My reluctance was based not only upon the fact that I knew it was hardly going to be an area of “expertise” or “knowledge”, but also because I was well aware there are plenty of people on the forum who know that it’s not where I normally listen, and so they might not think it is right.

And there are still those who question or joke about my inclusion in the team. I don’t really mind, as I was expecting it from the offset, and so long as my fellow teammates have no problem with me being part of the team, then it really doesn’t worry me that others sometimes appear to have. The most recent criticisms, though, did get me thinking as to how much I have listened to.

As a matter of interest, I had a look yesterday at the 50 of all time prog metal albums on PA, and was very surprised to realise that I have listened to ALL of them! Given FW has been used as an example of my lack of knowledge, I was even more surprised to see that only one FW is in the top 50 - and it is one I have listened to (and also one, that when I listened to it recently, I realised I must have listened to it long ago, also, as I did vaguely recall it as I listened to it).

I then decided to make a list of all the bands and artists in the PA prog metal genres that I do actually own at least one release from. I’m still never going to call myself a prog metal fan, but I do have a reasonable amount in my collection. I wasn’t initially planning on writing out a list, to be honest, so much as just looking through the genre listings, but I thought maybe it might be interesting to see just how much I had. (For me, though I guess others might be interested to. After all, it will give more ammunition to fire at me for what I don’t know! 😜)

Prog Metal

5R6 (Ukraine)

Absolace (United Arab Emirates)

Abstrakt (Poland)

Acute Mind (Poland)

Amaseffer (Israel)

Asymmetry (Belarus)

Atmosfear (Germany)

Avandra (Puerto Rico)

Auryn (Argentina)

Caeli Concept (France)

Cydemind (Canada)

Dante (Germany)

Dianoya (Poland)

Dream Theater (US)

DVNE (UK)

Early Cross (Japan)

Echoes (Venezuela)

Egregor (Chile)

Enochian Theory (UK)

Entrance (Chile)

Everwood (Hungary)

Existenter (Russia)

FramePictures (Portugal)

Frameshift (US)

Glass Mind (Mexico)

Head Control System (Portugal)

Ihlo (UK)

Joseph Magazine (Poland)

Jupiter Hollow (Canada)

Kælling (Portugal)

Katatonia (Sweden)

Konom (UK)

Minutian (Finland)

Mission Jupiter (Belarus)

Morph (Sweden)

Mother of Millions (Greece)

My Soliloquy (UK)

Myrath (Tunisia)

Need (Greece)

Oblique Rain (Portugal)

Oceanica (UK)

The Omnific (Australia)

The Opposite of Hate (Brazil)

Ostura (Lebanon)

Pencarrow (New Zealand)

Pervy Perkin (Spain)

Poem (Greece)

Project Creation (Portugal)

Pyramid Theory (Canada)

Queensryche (US)

Rendezvous Point (Norway)

Retrospective (Poland)

Riverside (Poland)

Riverwood (Egypt)

Sadman Institute (Poland)

Sandstone (Poland)

Saviour Machine (US)

Scardust (Israel)

Shattered Light (Russia)

Silent Voices (Finland)

Skyharbor (International)

Sleep In Heads (Ukraine)

T.A.O. (Poland)

TesseracT (UK)

The Thirteenth Sun (Romania)

This Misery Garden (Switzerland)

Time’s Forgotten (Costa Rica)

Unwritten Pages (Netherlands)

Valid Ablaze (UK)

The Vicious Head Society (Ireland)

Voices from the Fuselage (UK)

VOLA (Denmark)

Votum (Poland)

Wheel (Finland)

White Walls (Romania)

Wolfspring (France)

Wolverine (Sweden)

X-Panda (Estonia)

Experimental/Post

21 Eyes of Ruby (Netherlands)

Ætheria Conscientia (France)

Agalloch (US)

Alcest (France)

Anathema (UK)

Atrox (Norway)

Behind the Sun (Israel)

Birushanah (Japan)

Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Solvik (Norway)

Bloody Panda (US)

Blut Aus Nord (France)

Callisto (Finland)

Cave In (US)

Cult of Luna (Sweden)

Dark Suns (Germany)

Decortica (New Zealand)

Ender (New Zealand)

Ephel Duath (Italy)

Fall of Efrafa (UK)

Falloch (UK)

Fen (UK)

Frequency Eater (Belgium)

Green Carnation (Norway)

HAH (Monaco)

Hail Spirit Noir (Greece)

Helium Horse Fly (Belgium)

Hypno5e (France)

Igorrr (France)

In the Woods… (Norway)

Indukti (Poland)

Juggernaut (Italy)

Kekal (Indonesia)

Kilter (International)

Korzo (Ukraine)

Latitudes (UK)

Look to Windward (New Zealand)

Lucid Planet (Australia)

Lucynine (Italy)

Mammoth (NZ)

Manes (Norway)

Maudlin of the Well (US)

Meniscus (Australia)

Molybaron (France)

Nero di Marte (Italy)

Noctis (Australia)

Novembre (Italy)

Obsidian Kingdom (Spain)

The Ocean (Germany)

Oranssi Pazuzu (Finland)

Orphaned Land (Israel)

OSI (US)

Ottone Pesante (Italy)

ÖXXÖ XÖÖX (France)

Papangu (Brazil)

Peccatum (Norway)

Postvorta (Italy)

The Prophecy (UK)

Pull Down the Sun (New Zealand)

Schizoid Lloyd (Netherlands)

Seven Nines and Tens (Canada)

Shepherds of Cassini (New Zealand)

Sigh (Japan)

Sisare (Finland)

Smallman (Bulgaria)

Soen (International)

Sol Kia (Belgium)

Sòlstafir (Iceland)

Subterranean Masquerade (International)

Sumac (International)

Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster (UK)

Telepathy (UK)

Thy Catafalque (Hungary)

Tides from Nebula (Poland)

Tool (US)

Toundra (Spain)

Trappist System Trio (Russia)

Ufomammut (Italy)

Unexpect (Canada)

Virgin Black (Australia)

Void of Sleep (Italy)

Vulture Industries (Norway)

Waste of Space Orchestra (Finland)

White Ward (Ukraine)

Tech/Extreme

Aborym (Italy)

Ad Nauseum (Italy)

The Advent Equation (Mexico)

Arcturus (Norway)

Aurocatalytica (US)

Barren Earth (Finland)

Borknagar (Norway)

Chaos Divine (Australia)

Cold Night for Alligators (Denmark)

Creature (France)

Cynic (US)

Destrage (Italy)

Dordeduh (Romania)

Enslaved (Norway)

Exivious (Netherlands)

Farmakon (Finland)

Floodline (US)

Gojira (France)

Ihsahn (Norway)

Imperial Triumphant (US)

Leprous (Norway)

Massen (Belarus)

Mastodon (US)

Negura Bunget (Romania)

Opeth (Sweden)

Persefone (Andorra)

Serdce (Belarus)

Serious Beak (Australia)

SikTh (UK)

Tenebris (Poland)

Uneven Structure (France)

Vintersorg (Sweden)

Wintersun (Finland)

Edited by nick_h_nz - May 17 2022 at 06:50
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 06:21
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Given FW is always used an amazing example of my lack of knowledge

I mentioned that only once. As far as I've seen, I was the only one that did this. Can you give examples to that "always"? I'd be really surprised if there are any, other than my doing it once. Perhaps it is time for you to question your memory or your neverending gaslighting attempts.

Plus, you YOURSELF admitted that you are ignorant when it comes to prog metal. And you YOURSELF did that by giving the Fates Warning example: that you had never listened to their music. If you like, I can find your mentioning of that. My memory is really strong. I'm 100% certain about this.

You're a real pain in the ass. I wish I wouldn't come across with your nonsense again. I'll never interact with you hence, unless you go on using  your cheap gaslighting tricks again.

Edited by Archisorcerus - May 17 2022 at 06:26
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 06:49
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Given FW is always used an amazing example of my lack of knowledge

I mentioned that only once. As far as I've seen, I was the only one that did this. Can you give examples to that "always"? I'd be really surprised if there are any, other than my doing it once. Perhaps it is time for you to question your memory or your neverending gaslighting attempts.

Plus, you YOURSELF admitted that you are ignorant when it comes to prog metal. And you YOURSELF did that by giving the Fates Warning example: that you had never listened to their music. If you like, I can find your mentioning of that. My memory is really strong. I'm 100% certain about this.

You're a real pain in the ass. I wish I wouldn't come across with your nonsense again. I'll never interact with you hence, unless you go on using  your cheap gaslighting tricks again.

I mentioned no names, and you have mistakenly assumed I was speaking (just) about you. You are not the only one to have used the FW example, so even if you have mentioned it only once does not mean that it has not also been used an example by others - which it has been.  Always was an ill-advised exaggeration, meant in jest, and obviously not taken that way. For that I apologise. As for my memory, perhaps it is paying tricks on me. As anyone who knows me in real life knows, my memory is not what it once was post-covid. So if your memory is so strong, and you are 100% certain, I am happy to take your word for it. Perhaps there is some Mandela effect clouding my memory.  It would not surprise me in the slightest.

And yes, of course I have admitted my ignorance. Why would I not? It would be dishonest not to! As Socrates is said to have said, "the only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." And also, "wisdom begins in wonder". For me, the world of music is one of wonder, and prog metal is one small part of that jigsaw, so I am constantly trying to increase my wisdom. That is why when someone points out a gap in my knowledge (whether than be FW or something else), I am not only willing, but wanting, to listen to that - even if only to find it is not for me.

To be honest, you were the LAST person I expected to comment here, as you have already previously said you are not interested in conversation with me. So I can definitely assure you that you were not the intended audience, and I definitely did not intend to upset you (again). I am not sure why you take things I say so personally, nor call them nonsense. You have accused me of hypocrisy and inconsistency, yet I have always been quite consistent and honest in what I know and what I don't. I don't know how to argue against the accusation of gaslighting, because I really don't know how you think I am doing this. If I am such a pain in the ass, then the solution is as simple as you've suggested before, and again now: stop interacting with me!

I will edit the previous comment, and remove the "always".

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 11:12
^ I said I'll not interact with you unless you go on your gaslighting tricks. You're still doing that. So here is my response.

On another thought, you're not worthy of my time and effort. I'll cut it short. Believe me, if I wanted, I could write one of the longest posts that PA has ever seen. All would be truth, unlike your evasive, clandestinely scornful posts.

You are lying about my taking your above -now edited- post personally and saying that I would be the LAST person you expected response from; or your sense of comprehension is pathetic. It is either. There is no alternative.

I had said "please do not interact with me again" to you earlier, after you said that you put me and that mosh entity in the same category, and that you witnessed ignorant posts from me. I THRICE asked you to give examples to my ignorant posts, you COULDN'T. AND, you interacted with me after my kind request. IT WAS YOU.

Now, the FW thing. Please mention those others that pointed out your ignorance about that band. I'll ask this once, this time.

Your whole post is again filled with gaslighting attempts. You might outwit lots of people that way, but not me.

Edited by Archisorcerus - May 17 2022 at 12:02
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 12:02
I’m not trying to outwit anyone. As for interacting, if you choose not to interact with me, that’s fine - but it doesn’t mean I will choose not to interact with things you’ve said. David seems to struggle with the same concept. Just because he or you choose not to reply to me, does not mean I have to choose not to reply to something you’ve said.

I probably would have not replied to this had you not said some rather strange things.

Why would I have expected you to take my post personally? I had thought you had chosen not to interact with me, and didn’t expect you would even read what I had written. You were absolutely, completely, and totally the last person I expected to react to what I had written.

And the reason you did react seemed to be because you were certain that you have been the only person who has brought up FW. Because YOU said you were so sure you were the only person to have said this, I went back and edited it. It was hardly a covert action either, given I finished my previous post by letting you know I was editing it - because despite what you might think, I didn’t set out to upset you. The edit was meant to show you that I was willing to take your word that I had been wrong.

And although I had thought there had been other people, as you pointed out, there could well be a problem with my memory. I know I do have problems with my memory, because of my long-covid. Stop taking things so personally, and just because you’ve misunderstood me, stop accusing me of gaslighting. (Although, as I read that sentence back, it sounds just like something a gaslighter would say. It seems an almost impossible accusation to argue against, without being accused of doing it again/even more.)

As for ignorance, every time you have accused me of anything (whether it be hypocrisy, inconsistency, or gaslighting) from my point of view it has appeared if not ignorant, obtuse. Whenever you have done so, I have attempted to explain to you why I have said what I have said, and how you appear to have misinterpreted what I have said. You have never been willing to accept any explanation, calling any of them nonsense. They may be nonsensical to you, and that may either be because I am not expressing myself clearly, or because you are lacking comprehension. Because I am often unnecessarily verbose, I suspect it is the former, rather than the latter. 

If you were someone close to me, I would be upset by your lack of attempt to understand what I say. But you are a stranger to me. Someone I have never met, and someone I am unlikely ever to meet. Therefore, your opinion of me means nothing to me. I don’t know why my opinion seems to mean something to you? If you don’t want to interact, then don’t. It’s no skin of my nose. But just because you choose not to respond to anything I say, does not mean I will not respond to something you say. I will not go out of the way to do so, and it won’t happen often, I expect. But, just as with David (who also chooses not to respond to anything you say), I am likely on occasion to respond to something you’ve said. And, just as with David, you can choose to ignore that response, too. I won’t be posting because I want or need a response from you (or David), so much as reflecting on what you’ve said with my own point of view.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 12:12
^ You are a... OK, I won't be banned because of you. 

AFTER I SAID TO YOU "PLEASE DO NOT INTERACT WITH ME AGAIN" YOU REPEATEDLY INTERACTED WITH ME AND I DECIDED TO GIVE YOU A SECOND CHANCE AND FORGOT ABOUT OUR PAST. WE HAVE BEEN INTERACTING SINCE. HOW AND WHY WOULDN'T YOU EXPECT ME TO INTERACT WITH YOU?

I'LL NOT READ THE REST OF YOUR COMMENT.

THAT WOULD BE BAD FOR BOTH OF US.

GASLIGHTING IS AN INNATE ABILITY/HABIT OF YOURS. THIS WOULD GO ON FOREVER.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION, I SAID I'LL NOT INTERACT WITH YOU AGAIN AND DIDN'T SAY YOU CAN'T DO THAT TO ME. SEE, AGAIN GASLIGHTING. IT IS AMAZİNG, REALLY.

EVERYTHING, VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING YOU REFLECT DEMANDS CORRECTION.

PLEASE, STOP YOUR ANNOYING ATTITUDE. OR ELSE THIS WILL GO ON FOREVER.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 12:49
Surely it will only go on forever if you keep responding?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2022 at 12:52
^ I had said I'll not respond "unless" something, repeatedly. For your information. It will go on forever if you go on doing your gaslighting tricks. Yes it will. It is up to you (your responses).
 Post Reply Post Reply