Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to get into King Gizzard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to get into King Gizzard
    Posted: February 10 2021 at 05:35
What's the first King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard album that people should listen to? 
The first album i heard by them was Sketches of Brunswick East and then i listened to Nonagon Infinity. 
But i think that the best album to start with is Float Along. Its a very strange choise but i think that this album show all the best things about them: the long jams, the short pop rock songs and of course a lot of psychedelia. 
its hard to choose because they have 16 amazing albums and they all very diffrent one from another.

(btw, this is my first post) 

Edited by yogev - February 10 2021 at 10:09
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 07:01
My personal favorites are Flying Microtonal Banana and Im In Your Mind Fuzz

For prog fans, Polygondwanaland is def an essential, that's their one totally focused front to back Progressive rock record. I think its great because it doesn't forget the "progressive" part.

Besides that, they don't really have a true stinker. Some other favorites are Quarters, Nonagon, Infest the Rats Nest, Paper Mache Dream Balloon, Murder of the Universe and Sketches
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 07:18
I never quite understood how one through other people’s suggestions can come to appreciate a certain band. I mean...if you dig it, you dig it...and vice versa. That’s not to say that specific albums one heard a long time ago that didn’t do anything..somehow later on can transform into something beautiful and inspirational...but it’s all you.
Personally I’m crazy about this band and my two faves from them happen to be Sketches and the Microtonal Banana.
Anyhoo..my best suggestion for getting into something completely new or conversely something you didn’t used to like? Smoke a little space-tobacco beforehand
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 08:03
My 18 year old grandaughter told me to listen to them a while back,,,when the pandemic started ,and that was enough to convince me to avoid them like the plague.
LOL

well...tbh I found some of their music to be interesting.....the same ones doug mentioned.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 08:06
I love them!!! The microtonal stuff on their latest album, KG, is truly amazing.
The Prog Corner
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 09:48
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I love them!!! The microtonal stuff on their latest album, KG, is truly amazing.
One of their best work and one of my favorite albums of 2020. Can't wait to hear the sequel that coming this month. i really like the first single.

Edited by yogev - September 24 2021 at 08:04
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 11:05
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I never quite understood how one through other people’s suggestions can come to appreciate a certain band. I mean...if you dig it, you dig it...and vice versa. That’s not to say that specific albums one heard a long time ago that didn’t do anything..somehow later on can transform into something beautiful and inspirational...but it’s all you.
Personally I’m crazy about this band and my two faves from them happen to be Sketches and the Microtonal Banana.
Anyhoo..my best suggestion for getting into something completely new or conversely something you didn’t used to like? Smoke a little space-tobacco beforehand

My thing is that there’s no one-size fits all, and the best suggestions are most geared to what kinds of music you know an individual is into. I find it odd when some new members ask for very general recommebdations without even telling you what music they like and what they don’t like. That becomes a real shot in the dark scenario. I have discovered a toned of music through recommendations by people who share my tastes, know my tastes, and have different tastes but base their recommendations on what I am asking for. As for the wacky tobaccy, rebel that I am, I gave that up when it was iegalised here. ;)   My son wrote a story for school last year called The Evil Weed, which I thought a hilarious title in a kind of propagandist way. Note that I neither condemn nor condone the legal use of substances, and while it is true that I stopped post legalization, I generally am in favour of following laws in relatively fair and just countries. There are always exceptions.

I think a more eclectic offering that highlights different aspects of the band is often the way to go. That way one might not like the whole album but might find something to like. Sometimes just hearing the right track or even moment has opened up whole albums and discographies for me. Sometimes it’s enough that I am intrigued by the music more than enjoying it per se.

As for me, I don’t know the band that well.   That said, I have listened to two albums in the last month. I checked out Nonagon Infinity because I did a 2016 music topic, and don’t like to list albums I don’t know well, and I thought it would complement others well, but I disliked it at the time. Sometimes the music is just not what you need or want at the time.   I more recently listened to Polygondwanaland, and that did click. Maybe I was just in the mood and prepared more for the music. I will be playing much more by this band.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 07:17
Polygon or Nonagon are the best ones to get into them
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 07:31

Smoke a little space-tobacco beforehand
That didn't work. Maybe psychedelic substances? Gizz is not for me, too trancey, spacey, and repetitive. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 08:03
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

My thing is that there’s no one-size fits all, and the best suggestions are most geared to what kinds of music you know an individual is into. I find it odd when some new members ask for very general recommebdations without even telling you what music they like and what they don’t like. That becomes a real shot in the dark scenario. I have discovered a toned of music through recommendations by people who share my tastes, know my tastes, and have different tastes but base their recommendations on what I am asking for. As for the wacky tobaccy, rebel that I am, I gave that up when it was iegalised here. ;)   My son wrote a story for school last year called The Evil Weed, which I thought a hilarious title in a kind of propagandist way. Note that I neither condemn nor condone the legal use of substances, and while it is true that I stopped post legalization, I generally am in favour of following laws in relatively fair and just countries. There are always exceptions.

I think a more eclectic offering that highlights different aspects of the band is often the way to go. That way one might not like the whole album but might find something to like. Sometimes just hearing the right track or even moment has opened up whole albums and discographies for me. Sometimes it’s enough that I am intrigued by the music more than enjoying it per se.

As for me, I don’t know the band that well.   That said, I have listened to two albums in the last month. I checked out Nonagon Infinity because I did a 2016 music topic, and don’t like to list albums I don’t know well, and I thought it would complement others well, but I disliked it at the time. Sometimes the music is just not what you need or want at the time.   I more recently listened to Polygondwanaland, and that did click. Maybe I was just in the mood and prepared more for the music. I will be playing much more by this band.

I am with you all the way Greg and your post actually made me think of recs in a more general manner. I’ve seen so many recommendation threads over PA where the poster mentions his/her background and what type of music that they tend to go for...yet many a times prog heads do this strange thing, where they wholly neglect the tastes of the OP and just scribbles down their faves....which of course can be right up their alley...but say you are approaching prog from a more mainstream point of view. Your fave music mostly consists of The Beatles, Michael Jackson and The Cure. You then came across Porcupine Tree which genuinely hit the right nerve...and you sign up on PA and ask for more suggestions.
Right there I’d look at prog artists with pop sensibilities and loads of melody in their repertoire..yet for some reason many a members feel that said person should start out with the most complex and left-field the genre has to offer.
‘You dig Michael J? Ahh then you may wanna check out Henry Cow and Faust

With the above being said...I still feel that one has a far better chance of learning to appreciate X genre if they can find someone with similar tastes as them and furthermore are willing to take them by the hand and lead them through albums that better aligns with the person’s tastebuds...y’know a personal music guru.

Weed should be legalised imho...and should possibly also be mandatory for politicians and cops at least once a week.. but hey that’s just me

Edith: Btw Greg if you haven’t already checked it out, I strongly recommend Sketches Of Brunswick East. It’s more of a breezy Canterbury-like album that has a way of sending me down summery pathways of the beach. Especially around this time of the year the album literally feels like opening up a window in my brain.

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 12 2021 at 08:12
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2022 at 17:05
Just reading through David's post about how weed should be legalized and I have to tell you guys it's shocking in central Ontario cottage country where I live how many weed shops there are. I am a 3 minute walk from three. Elmvale a farming community of about 2,500 people has three weed shops on it's main street. This is something no one could ever imagined. Just about every little town has one. The whole country has gone to pot.LOL
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 02:19
I love all the albums so I’m unable to recommend one. You will ever dig them or you won’t lol
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 03:40
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Polygon or Nonagon are the best ones to get into them
Can't disagree. I think the best advice is to check out quite a lot of their albums. Just to get the idea of the band and what they are about. I mean in their discography you'll find a trippy psych/jazz album, a thrash metal album, an acoustic folk album... They cover a wide range of styles, often within the same album. Like Ween with less jokes.

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 04:20
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I mean in their discography you'll find a trippy psych/jazz album, a thrash metal album, an acoustic folk album... 

... as well as a spoken word western (Eyes Like The Sky), which I quite like, though it is rather short (27:49).

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2022 at 04:42
My first exposure to King Gizzard was "Crumbling Castle" on the the album "Polygondwanaland". I first heard it on the music program "Rage" that is on Australian TV, and decided to explore further. I wasn't even intending to watch the program, but just put it on briefly to see what was playing. This was about six weeks before I joined the forum, and before King Gizzard was admitted into the PA database. Not long after getting "Polygondwanaland" (a free download), I saw a discussion about King Gizzard on the forum, and decided to join and contribute my two cents worth.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - June 29 2022 at 04:48
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
 Post Reply Post Reply