0 [0.00%]
2 [25.00%]
1 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stephen King's The Dark Tower Novel Series
    Posted: February 25 2021 at 18:21
My history with The Dark Tower series began in the '90s (most probably 1998).

I had just read The Lord of the Rings books (which were translated to Turkish extremely belatedly) and my brother brought The Dark Tower's 1st book: The Gunslinger for me. I was familiar with Stephen King and had read some of his novels by then. As far as I remember, I wasn't aware that The Gunslinger was part of a series, so I was surprised and dismayed by its ending. Then, I learned the fact, and began buying the remaining books one by one. I also bought some of them in original English, as my command of the language was advanced enough to read them. Finally, I bought all its books in English.

I must say that my favourite amongst them is the 4th novel: Wizard and Glass, and I wasn't too much impressed by all of them. Anyhow, I loved the ending and the series was, overall, captivating enough. I'm a big fan anyway. I'm quite into "heavy literature" too, but I always liked Stephen King as a writer notwithstanding what critics like Harold Bloom said about him. I believe Mr. King has a vast imagination and solid ethical values. So, time will tell that if his literariness is enough to carry his books as canonical works throughout centuries, but frankly, I enjoy them so that's what only matters for me...

Any fans out there?

This is my set:

And this is me holding my precious "Wizards and Glasses":

Edited by Shadowyzard - February 26 2021 at 05:49
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 18:56
I read the first book a long time ago and quite enjoyed it.  Sadly, I've not gotten around to reading the rest of the series.  I just don't read as much as I used to back in the day.  It took me over two years to read the Game of Throne Series.  I've been reading the Wheel of Time series for a couple of years now but am only in book 4.  I seem to only read when I am on vacation these days.  I did actually pull the Gunslinger out last summer and took it with me on vacation with the attention of re-reading it so I could read the rest of the series....but I didn't finish the Wheel of Time book that I was reading so I didn't get around to it.  

Did you read his books with Peter Straub, The Talisman and the Black House.  I seem to recall that they referenced the Gunslinger even though they weren't part of the series.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 19:00
^ Yup! Read them both. There are "connections" with The Dark Tower universe in various other King books too.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 19:03
As you say that, wasn't the devil character from The Stand also in the Gunslinger?  Roland Flagg or something like that?

Edited by rushfan4 - February 25 2021 at 19:04
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 19:04
^ Yes! Randall Flagg.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 19:06
Ahh yes!  I remember that now.  It is kind of shameful that I haven't read the rest of the series yet.  At one point I had read just about everything that Stephen King had written, but I have definitely not kept up the last 20 years or so.  Although I've probably read more of his recent books than anything else that I've read.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 19:18
This entire series is brilliant.  One of my favorites.  I even own most of the comic book series, but I missed a few unfortunately.

Most of Stephen King's books are tied to The Dark Tower series in one way or another, not just The Stand.

Edited by TCat - February 25 2021 at 19:20

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 19:40
The books that I mentioned were the only ones that I remembered an overlap, but given that I only read the first book it wouldn't surprise me that there are other references with the later books.  I just did a little reading on Randall Flagg (haha Roland was the name of the hero so I got that confused) and it mentioned that he was the villain in Eyes of the Dragon too.  I think that I read that one, but I'm not 100% sure.  It has probably been close to 30 years since I read most of his books.  
Erenan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 22:59
I read the original seven books, never got around to reading the wind through the keyhole

Loved them at the time, probably wouldn't be as crazy about them now, but yeah it's a feat putting a series like that together and finishing it. King's not really my cup of tea but I admire him for that at least.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 05:40
Robin Furth's tale, telling the origins of the story was brilliant, by the bye. Though sadly, the link doesn't work now. I'll leave it here anyway, hoping it will work again in the future:

https://stephenking.com/the_office/rainbow_doc/

Edited by Shadowyzard - February 26 2021 at 05:47
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 10:48
Read the first 4 in the series....meant to finish it but never did.
And I have read other King books so I'm familiar with  character crossovers.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 00:07
Absolutely awesome books
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 06:21
I've read only some.  But I'm enjoying them enormously and going through them back to back.  Currently in The Wind Through The Keyhole.  I think I could have left this one out, but decided to go with it.  It's OK, not as good as the rest so far, and I just want to get back to the main story!  I felt like that with Wizard and Glass once he started telling his tale, but it soon became clear that the story within the story was fantastic....

SK is my favourite author by a million milesCool
 Post Reply Post Reply