Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-Prog Artists Doing Slightly Prog Things?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 06:20
I think many artists have dabbled in prog at one time or another... let me add to this thread Intermezzo no.1 by ABBA from their eponymous 3rd album.

"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 06:38
I know, I know, this is MOR radio trash music. But listen carefully. It’s very strange melodically and harmonically. The chords changes are quite spiky, and that the melody has any semblance to a normal one is IMHO remarkable. And then the synth solo hits!

“Art is the recognition of the universal presence of God.” —Ernest Hello
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 06:41
While I’ve found other things to like in Bourgeois Tagg’s discography, none of their other material quite has the peculiar prog pop sound of “Waiting for the Worm to Turn”:

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 17:04
from one of the main men of soft rock group Bread, this beautiful prog related suite

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 17:43
Originally posted by Progishness Progishness wrote:

I think many artists have dabbled in prog at one time or another
For sure, especially in the 70's when you had non prog people like The Allman Brothers, Steely Dan, Elton John, The Doobie Brothers, Loggins and Messina, Chicago(admittedly much of their early stuff was pretty progressive but they aren't often thought of as prog), Sweet, Led Zeppelin, Billy Joel and several others dabble in prog to one degree or another. Even the Rolling Stones had "moonlight mile" which I consider pretty prog. Come to think of it so was "Can't you hear me knocking" which has a second half that reminds me a bit of Traffic.

If you look at later music there were new wave, gothic and alternative bands who had bits of prog in their music whether it was accidental or on purpose.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 12 2021 at 17:45
Crane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2021 at 00:45
Speaking of 60’s music, this Jefferson Airplane track took me by surprise when I was listening to ‘After Bathing at Baxters’:

Edited by Crane - March 13 2021 at 00:46
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234