Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How did your family influence your tastes in prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did your family influence your tastes in prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 02:36
They didnīt. I discovered prog by searching bargain bins for vinyls, and by name dropping from artists I enjoyed, and from a chance playing of Firth of Fifth by Genesis on a radio show I happened to listen to while stoned out of my mind on vacation in the countryside. It was such a revelation to me, that music could sound like that, that I immediately started collecting Genesis vinyls and began searching out similar artists.

My parents only introduced me to early 60s pop/rock. The Beatles, The Shadows, Kinks, The Who, Hermanīs Hermits, The Beach Boys. There was nothing experimental about the music my parents listened to, and while they both enjoy music, itīs on a pretty shallow level, and they never encouraged us to listen to music with a more analyzing approach. Nothing wrong with that...we just speak two very different languages :-)

Edited by UMUR - May 29 2021 at 02:38
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 02:41
They did not at all, but I may have influenced them.
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 07:58
I am not sure if my parents did influence me, but they never discouraged me either.  Being born from two Yugoslav parents, it's possible the serbian, macedonian, balkan folk music influenced me since my mother played it all the time, she had a stack of those vinyl records.  They did however allow us to play whatever we wanted in our rooms with neighboring kids.  Maybe that folk music she played influenced me to lean towards the progressive rock music of the day, i am not sure.  I do remember my friends were often curious about the sounds when she played her records in the house as they had never heard that kind of music before in England.  BTW often my parents had gatherings at our house or other places where someone would pull out their big handharmonica and mandolin and guitars and the music would start all through the night with the women dancing their folk stuff.  So I guess I could say I was surrounded by music all my life, even though I could never play anything myself.

Edited by Spaciousmind - May 29 2021 at 08:09
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 09:43
Dad was a jazz drummer in his teens--was always playing bongos at my parents' frequent and wild parties in the 1960s. Pete Fountain, Sergio Mendes, Herb Alpert are the albums/musics I associate with him.

Mom loved folk (Peter, Paul & Mary, Simon & Garfunkle, Rod McKuen) and THE BEATLES. She really loved The Beatles.

I lived under the shadow of CKLW AM radio: lived for my radio listening time (70-74 soul/R&B in Detroit was AMAZING!) but then discovered on the FM side of the dial a couple of "Album Rock" oriented radio stations--who gradually became my go-to stations, WABX and, soon after, WRIF. There is where I discovered the music I really loved--much of which would later be called "progressive rock."

Brother went away to boarding school and came back with an entire new universe of music--mostly hard rock guitar oriented like Ronnie Montrose, Mountain, The Rolling Stones, Humble Pie, and a lot of Jeff Beck, Uriah Heep, and Blue Öyster Cult--these last three changed my life--especially Secret Treaties, "Orange", and, especially, Demons and Wizards.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2021 at 17:22
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I would imagine many(if not most)younger people on here(say under 25)got into prog through their parents. 

Only partly. I'm 29 now but started getting into prog at 14/15. My dad had many Floyd records and I listened to them a lot when I started getting into them, but then I discovered Yes, Genesis and ELP on my own, then my journey continued from there. We did start listening to a lot of prog at the same time, he bought some Genesis records at the time and he already had some Marillion, and I got him into Dream Theater and we went so see them live soon after. So we kinda influenced each other in that regard lol. He was very important in getting me into rock and music in general more than prog in particular. 

Interesting that you got into Yes, Genesis and ELP on your own. I suppose your dad either just wasn't into anything beyond the most obvious music or is maybe just the wrong age to be into those bands. PF seem to be one of those "ever popular" bands which(other than Rush and PF) doesn't really seem to apply to most prog stuff. I suppose a lot of people know Genesis too but not necessarily their prog period.

He had a lot of Floyd albums but not Yes or ELP. He had Genesis and had watched them live but I don't remember listening to them growing up. The thing is he had a lot of CDs but lost a lot of cassettes and vinyls he had when he was younger. The prog bands I remember listening as a kid are only Floyd and Marillion (He was born in '66 so prog was sort of fading in popularity when he was still very young). Then with the internet it was far easier to have access to music and we both like Yes, Genesis, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Crimson (we went to see them live right before then pandemic, fortunately) etc. He's not into ELP and Tull though, which are two bands I really like, especially the former. 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2021 at 07:32
My Mum and Dad had zero influence on me musically (James Last anyone?!!!!)

But my aunt and uncle played my sister and I War Of The Worlds back when it came out, when we were staying with them, aged 10 and 7.  I think THAT influenced me hugely....

And I would like to think that maybe one day my youngest daughter will stumble across this site, and add her own post to whatever page of this thread we're on to, and say that I influenced her!  I battered her with my music in the car twice a day to nursery in Cardiff and back, to the point where she was requesting stuff!  As she grew older she denied all knowledge, but now she's started listening to PF and admitting that she likes other stuff her peers wouldn't, so maybe, just maybe.....
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2023 at 21:54
My dad got me into classic prog bands such as Pink Floyd, Yes, Rush, ELO, etc. Those bands acted as my gateway to prog which sent me down a deep rabbit hole of obscurity.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 05:23
School mates in the early 70's. It actually started with 'Relics' by Pink Floyd. Smile
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 05:38
My parents had a few Beatles records and I listened to them from a very early age so I like to think that planted some seeds in my brain that eventually blossomed into a love of prog rock music.

That's a bit of a stretch, I'll admit but it sounds pretty good Big smile
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 07:06

Tjah, it should be because listening to Beatles singles as a child had some influence on my preference of say Symphonic rather 
than Avant-Prog.
Edit:
And actually, I wrote this before I read the post above mine.

Edited by David_D - July 25 2023 at 08:43
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 08:02
The first music experience that really blew me away was my mother taking us to the Yellow Submarine film. I was 8 at the time (this was in the seventies, not when the film originally came out). My mother died when I was 10, and I never found out more about any interest in music she might have had. I think we went to Yellow Submarine because she thought that my brother and I would like it; she wasn't that much into the Beatles herself, maybe a bit.

My father listened to some great music in the early seventies, but had already pretty much stopped doing that when I became consciously interested in music. He had a big influence rather randomly when he played a tape of Watch by Manfred Mann's Earthband in the car, which got me my first prog flash, even though he didn't even know what it was. I asked him and he told me it was Elton John, who in fact was on the other side of the tape. So I went out and bought Elton John's Greatest Hits from my little pocket money, and when I discovered that this was the guy from the wrong side of the tape, I complained to my father, and I really had to negotiate to get him to refund me the money. Eventually he did it though.   

He had some albums by ELP, Jethro Tull, Novalis, Deep Purple, which I explored getting into prog, but by the end of the seventies he'd mostly listen to softer stuff such as Cat Stevens and classical music. This gave me the weird idea that probably by the age of 40 at the latest it would be normal to stop listening to rock music, that it'd really be a youth thing, and I was rather surprised to learn that most musicians would keep on rocking beyond that age, let alone listeners. 

My grandfather who listened to classical music up to properly modern stuff like Stockhausen was curious about the prog I listened to. He bought some albums on my recommendation and would comment on them in a detailed manner, sometimes positive, sometimes more critical. He didn't really get into it, but I liked how open minded he was. He didn't succeed that much getting me into classical and modern classical stuff, but when I grew older, I got more into this, and maybe he had some influence there in the long run. He was the first to get me interested in art, particularly impressionism. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234