Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nature and Organisation for Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2022 at 12:07
We know N&O is Current 93 related (Beauty Reaps the Blood of Solitude is similar to Thunder Perfect Mind / Of Ruine or Some Blazing Starre period to me) so I would be willing to suggest it for Prog Related based on BRtBoS particularly). And I could add it if accepted there as we have an excellent bio from Gordy already (I would want to add to it).
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2022 at 12:37
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

We know N&O is Current 93 related (Beauty Reaps the Blood of Solitude is similar to Thunder Perfect Mind / Of Ruine or Some Blazing Starre period to me) so I would be willing to suggest it for Prog Related based on BRtBoS particularly). And I could add it if accepted there as we have an excellent bio from Gordy already (I would want to add to it).

I'd be fine with that
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2022 at 12:39
Thanks, Ken. I will now take it to the PR peeps.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2022 at 17:06
Just got caught up. Thanks, Greg, and feel free to add to the bio in any way you deem fit should they pass. Will they go to PF for Hugues' final evaluation if they don't make it in Prog-Related?

I've also been considering if they should be accepted under Michael Cashmore's name, as for a time his only other material were a couple EPs and an LP which weren't too dissimilar from Nature and Organisation/Current 93's approach. However, the past five years have seen him enter his "midlife crisis" stage of electronic and darkwave experimentation, which may make the classification process difficult once again.

Edited by Gordy - February 15 2022 at 17:07
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2022 at 18:39
I don't know if Hugues would want to really consider it for a third time. If PR rejects it then we would alert the Prog Folk team. Crossover would have been the other potential category to my ears, but maybe my ears need cleaning.

If it doesn't get in, well at least there is the forum to talk about such projects, but then I'm more of a forum guy than into the rest of the site.

I see the sense of adding as Michael Cashmore/ Nature and Organisation, but that makes for a bigger and more complicated evaluation. I'd then say maybe this N&O evaluation should be on hold or delyed into until that has been properly discussed.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2022 at 21:46
Keeping my fingers crossed N&O gain traction in PR.

If we consider them under Cashmore's given name, he stands to be considered by Eclectic once more. Addressing his discography in chronological order we have a wide confluence of styles:

1986: Nature and Organisation - Third Terminal Position (industrial - technically Progressive Electronic)

1994: Nature and Organisation - Beauty Reaps the Blood of Solitude / A Dozen Summers Against the World (neoclassical/neofolk - I still stand by their eligibility for Prog Folk)

1998: Nature and Organisation - Death in a Snow Leopard Winter (neoclassical - perhaps PF but also maybe Post/Math?)

1999: Michael Cashmore / Current 93 / Christoph Heemann (MC contributes three instrumental folk/post-rock adjacent pieces to this three-way split)

2006: Michael Cashmore - Sleep England (instrumental folk/medieval pieces)

2007: Michael Cashmore - The Snow Abides EP (neoclassical/post-rock in the vein of Snow Leopard Winter but with vocals by Anohni)

2011: Michael Cashmore/Marc Almond - Feasting With Panthers (MC composed and performed all the music around digital files of Almond's voice, a hybrid of his classical-inspired style with the most explicit art rock idioms found in his discography - maybe Crossover?)

2017: Nature and Organisation - A Dozen Winters Against the World / Universal Death Stream (Progressive Electronic/post-rock hybrid, in tandem with MC's so-called "transformation" period, where he started wearing wigs and painting his face like Bowie)

2019-2021: Michael Cashmore - The Doctrine Of Transformation Through Love I + II, The Night Has Rushed In (very recognisably Progressive Electronic, in the style of countless faceless post-Berlin School artists who litter the archives)

Edited by Gordy - February 15 2022 at 21:50
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2022 at 22:45
any word on this in PR Greg?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2022 at 22:57
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

any word on this in PR Greg?

Yeah, it should be good to go re the initial suggestion.   Just Gordy’s last post as more to consider gave me pause and we have not evaluated more than was initially suggested.   I have been planning to add it in a couple of weeks or so. Not hard, especially if just the more basic addition, just want to deal with some other things first.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2022 at 12:26
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Yeah, it should be good to go re the initial suggestion.   Just Gordy’s last post as more to consider gave me pause and we have not evaluated more than was initially suggested.   I have been planning to add it in a couple of weeks or so. Not hard, especially if just the more basic addition, just want to deal with some other things first.

Great to hear, and sorry if my info dump caused any undue headaches.

Wishing you and your family well.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2022 at 11:51
Sorry about the delay, but I have added N&O Gordy http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=12135
But not the albums yet. If you would like to add the albums, Gordy, that would be great, otherwise I will work on that on another day.

I didn't even change your bio to add a why this must be included in PR, as it looks so good as is. If you want any changes to the artist page, let me know.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2022 at 23:11
Thank you kindly, Greg, and I'm satisfied with everything. I just put up Snow Leopard Winter.

Edited by Gordy - March 30 2022 at 23:12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123