2 [4.55%]
1 [2.27%]
6 [13.64%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 11:26
I vote for Boston, Stravinsky and The Winery Dogs!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 14:48
As always rather late (the two weeks rhythm is still fast for me) a vote here before engaging with the next poll.
Candidates for voting:
Banco de Gaia
Mikko Joensuu
Harumi
Gotye
Jimmie Spheeris
Lalli
Reve
Suns of Arqa
XTC
Argh, that's too many!
I also love the Manuel de Falla and Scriabin, even very much so, but no vote as I knew them already (and there's more than enough other stuff to vote on).

I somehow have to reduce this... These are very good but didn't really quite give me a "wow" moment: Banco de Gaia, Lalli, Reve - they may surely grow on me but unfortunately I don't have enough time right now to let them grow. The next one to go is the charming Babylondon's Burning, which flows a bit too smoothly for me.

Down to five then. Now let's go in from the top.
The winner is XTC - I know some of their stuff and it's a bit hit and miss for me. Actually they have some really stunning tracks and quite a number that leave me cold, and this one is very comfortably on the stunning side. I had heard nothing of this album yet and after listening through it it may just be the XTC album I like most!

Second place goes to Gotye, another act that I already know, and (a) I love their sound generally, and (b) there is more musical depth in this one than in those I had already known, great stuff.

So I'm left with three candidates for third place, Harumi, Jimmy Spheeris, and Mikko Joensuu. I have voted for Nicky and Logan numerous times and will quite certainly do so again, once more these are worthy discoveries... I even think I would probably like a whole album of Spheeris and Harumi more than one of Joensuu, but for a change among all the rock-, psychedelic and singing-songwriting or even classically oriented things, right now I feel the need for a healthy dose of electronic, here done with some surprising warmth, so the third vote goes to Mikko Joensuu. (Actually it disturbs me a bit that this one was sitting on five votes already, does everyone suddenly love electronic?? Harumi and Spheeris would may be celebrate my vote more, but now that I've voted, this is how it is.) 

Edited by Lewian - May 25 2021 at 14:53
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 15:19
My podium;

1) Ruth Copeland (masterpiece)

2) Reve (masterpiece)

3) The Winery Dogs (very pleasing)

------

First of the not awarded:

4) Jimmie Spheeris

5) XTC

6) Joni Mitchell

------
Other
Honorable Mentions (I dont vote for classical music authors):

- Manuel de Falla

- Igor Stravinsky

- Vladimir Horowitz

- Harumi

- Gotye

"Happiness is real only when shared"
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 16:45
Thank you, Lewian & Lorenzo for the Jimmie Spheeris comments/placement.  I have a special place in my heart for artists who weren't sufficiently recognized in their lifetimes, an odd theme for me that recurs in so many of the arts.  I appreciate that everyone gave it a good listen, as well as so many nice comments.  It's the listening, and the comments and discussion that make this poll so stellar.  Clap
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2021 at 13:06
Last batch.

Ruth Copeland – Play with Fire
A very different version of the Rolling Stones song which, to be honest, is not one of my favourites of theirs. It gets much more interesting here, especially with the bluesy vocal performance. Very dynamic arrangement too, kind of punk'ish. If anything, it is perhaps a bit too long for its genre.

Joni Mitchell – Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire
This one is more restrained, quite melancholic too. Taste-wise this appeals more to me.

RΚVE – Moths
Whiskers-played drums, violin, bass and electric guitar behind the vocals. At times the playing becomes more heavy. Harmonically and melodically it is rather monotone, changing between the same two chords throughout most of the song, and to be honest this is not so much me. But tastes differ.

Yngwie Malmsteen – Now Your Ships Are Burned
This is more uptempo with an 80's heavy sound. Not something I would normally listen to, but I don't dislike it. For taste reasons it is not really a contender for me, but the lead guitar was not uninteresting.

Suns of Arqa – Babylondon Is Burning
There are some folk elements here with the drums. Otherwise it is mostly held in an electronic universe. Some of the sounds are a bit quirky. Genre-wise it doesn't speak to me so much, but clearly there's a lot of creativity put into the production.

The Winery Dogs – Fire
I have a bit of a bias here because the song is mostly based on one of the most over-used chord progressions within the last 30 years, the so-called "Four chord song" progression which I've long been pretty tired of. Apart from that it's clearly not a bad song, but not really for me.

Billy Joel – We Didn't Start the Fire
Believe it or not, but it is actually the first time I hear this song. I knew Billy Joel had a song of that name. It has the major key variant of the previously mentioned chord progressive, but genre-wise I like it better. The sound is quite new-wave'ish, and the song reminds me a lot of R.E.M.'s "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" with the name dropping. I guess it is where they got the inspiration.

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2021 at 17:14
Finally got to vote. Many great suggestions here, but my votes go to:

Manuel de Falla – Ritual Fire Dance
Scriabin/Horowitz – Vers la flamme
XTC – Great Fire

Edited by The Anders - May 30 2021 at 17:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678