Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My journey into prog.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProgJourney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My journey into prog.
    Posted: May 25 2021 at 04:52
Hello everyone!
I'm in my late 30's and I always knew that I liked long songs, specifically instrumental parts and songs that change tempo or altogether change completely. For example back 10 years ago I got into 10cc and my favourite is feel the benefit parts 1,2 & 3 at 11.30 long I love it, it's very prog to me anyway and that guitar solo at the end is amazing.

Anyway I had listened to Pink Floyd for years and also liked the format of song echoes for example. Plus the musicianship of both 10cc and Floyd are pure class. I never knew that prog rock was even a thing until last year 🤔 I mean I'd heard of it but never taken a deeper look into what it actually meant until last year that is.

I was up late one evening watching now 70's on telly and went to make a coffee when I heard a song which seemed to go on for a while too. Came back to the front room and rewind the song then got shazam out and found out it was by a band called Ten Years After song Love Like a Man (7.38) I was intrigued so I typed it into my newly subscribed Spotify and headphones in gave a listen ,(I'd just had some weed too)
Story twist not sure of your aware but when a song ends in Spotify it suggests a new one based on the previous song. On came the song that started my journey. Or I guess that was Love Like a Man really but anyway, Bird of Prey by Uriah Heep came on and oh man I was absolutely blown away, the way the song changes toward the end the falsetto vocal the lyrics themselves just brilliant.
I swiftly proceed to research Uriah Heep from start to finish and can confidently say that Salisbury is my favourite album. It's just so English feeling if that makes sense.
Then from there I went to alot of the big guys I won't name them but after that I wanted more so I went to Wikipedia (don't flame me here lol) for an A to Z list of all artists with at least one album of what is considered prog rock.
So far I've found some amazing artists and albums but another twist is that I was listening to something can't remember what but a suggestion from Spotify came on by a band called Dr Z and I was like wtf this is great song but was not in the A to Z on wiki ( luckily I was only up to "E") so I dug the Internet for this band and that brought me to this great site. So I now know that there is so much more to discover and I will be looking I to lots of stuff on this site, also saw the Prog Line A to Z post which I can tell is going to have me smiling for months and years to come. I've already gave a small donation to the sites upkeep 👍

Thanks for reading my long introduction I hope you all have a good day.

Ps is there a A to Z list on here, not the Prog Line hidden gems but an all inclusive type list? If so please kindly link it.

Lastly is there a tapatalk app for the site?

Thanks.

Edit forgot to say In Search of The Lost Chord by The Moody Blues is a very close second favourite album.

Edited by ProgJourney - May 25 2021 at 05:12
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 05:10
Welcome to Prog Archives! Hug

Thanks for the mention of the Prog Line A-Z list. Thumbs Up

Bird of Prey is coming right up on my Ken Hensley & Uriah Heep tribute thread, where Salisbury is the next featured album. Wink

You can find a full A-Z list of prog artists at the top of Prog Archives main page, just by clicking on the relevant letter of the alphabet. It's as easy as ABC. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 25 2021 at 05:10
ProgJourney View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProgJourney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 05:27
Thanks for the heads up. Can't believe I didn't see that big A to Z list lol. Also I've subbed the YouTube channel too. Fantastic work 💪
Look forward to Uriah heep tribute thread, I'm still working out how to navigate the site fully.

Thanks again mate.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 05:35
Welcome aboard. One of my first rock albums was "The Original Soundtrack". Heart

You can find lots of progressive rock artists and albums here. Enjoy! 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 05:42
Originally posted by ProgJourney ProgJourney wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. Can't believe I didn't see that big A to Z list lol. Also I've subbed the YouTube channel too. Fantastic work 💪
Look forward to Uriah heep tribute thread, I'm still working out how to navigate the site fully.

Thanks again mate.

My pleasure! ProgArchives is a Wonderworld of music where you'll have the Sweet Freedom to dive in Head First and explore the wonderful world of prog, including the High and Mighty sound of Ken Hensley & Uriah Heep. Smile 
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 12:54

Hello everyone!
I'm in my late 30's and I always knew that I liked long songs, specifically instrumental parts and songs that change tempo or altogether change completely. For example back 10 years ago I got into 10cc and my favourite is feel the benefit parts 1,2 & 3 at 11.30 long I love it, it's very prog to me anyway and that guitar solo at the end is amazing.(EDIT)
Welcome aboard ! If you like the 10cc album Deceptive Bends then check out UK Danger Money 1979. Terry Bozzio is the drummer on that one as well as the 10cc album. What prog genres have you explored and which one(s) do you gravitate to?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgJourney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 15:35
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Welcome aboard. One of my first rock albums was "The Original Soundtrack". Heart

You can find lots of progressive rock artists and albums here. Enjoy! 

Thanks! The original soundtrack is a great album you have good taste 👌
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgJourney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2021 at 15:51
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Hello everyone!
I'm in my late 30's and I always knew that I liked long songs, specifically instrumental parts and songs that change tempo or altogether change completely. For example back 10 years ago I got into 10cc and my favourite is feel the benefit parts 1,2 & 3 at 11.30 long I love it, it's very prog to me anyway and that guitar solo at the end is amazing.(EDIT)
Welcome aboard ! If you like the 10cc album Deceptive Bends then check out UK Danger Money 1979. Terry Bozzio is the drummer on that one as well as the 10cc album. What prog genres have you explored and which one(s) do you gravitate to?

Hey I will certainly check that one out and report back.
Well I'm not too certain about which prog genres I've explored properly yet ad I'm still trying to familiarise myself with them.

I feel like I gravitate towards psychedelic prog like Earth and fires first album which I heard yesterday and I also love classical fusion like the moody blues days of future passed and Concerto for group and Orchestra by deep purple. Also I love fantasy albums like power and the passion by Eloy and the magicians birthday by Uriah Heep. I like concept albums too as you can probably tell.
Where I go from here is anyone's guess I'm going to try and look through the archives and pick stuff that I like the look of to immerse myself in.
 Post Reply Post Reply