Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Black Mirror episodes poll

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Vote for a favourite episode.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [50.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Black Mirror episodes poll
    Posted: June 03 2021 at 12:34
I love Bandersnatch, but as it takes a different form (an interactive Netflix movie), I have left that off the main options list despite mentioning it.  I mention Inside No. 9 since I often have compared the two, Charlie Brooker loves it, and I wish it got much more attention.

I have seen all of the Black Mirror episodes multiple times.  Unlike many, I love the more present-realistic first episode, and that is what hooked me.  Then seeing "Fifteen Million Merits" which is so different really hooked me even deeper.  Both of those could be my choice, that said I am going for "White Bear" since that has been watched more times by me than any others.  I find the retributive justice concept fascinating, as well as various ethical considerations.

Other favourites of mine in order of the poll are "White Christmas", "Shut Up and Dance" (which could also get my vote easily), "Hated in the Nation", "USS Callister" (love this), "Crocodile" (very dark with a moment of humour), "Metalhead" "Black Museum", and  "Smithereens" (easily my favourite of the last series, and is also not going for the futuristic sci-fi wrote like with the debut).

I have not enabled multiple votes.  Just go with one and mention any other favourites.

I'll be interested to see how many people into Black Mirror we have in the forum.  Hope to have some Black Mirror discussion here.

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 13:32
USS Callister > Metal Head > Black Museum
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 14:33
This is a show that I should love but only like, kind of. As a result, I've only made it through White Christmas, which I would say is my favorite of the first two seasons. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 14:41
White Bear was always the one that stuck with me. I found it profoundly disturbing on many levels so it gets my vote. Hated in the Nation & Shut up and Dance would probably round out my top three.

Edited by Argo2112 - June 03 2021 at 14:52
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 14:53
Yep, White Bear is disturbing on several levels.  Shut Up and Dance is the one I would most compare it with.

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

This is a show that I should love but only like, kind of. As a result, I've only made it through White Christmas, which I would say is my favorite of the first two seasons. 

I do hope you try USS Callister at least at some time, which I will heartily recommend to any Trekkies and the like out there. Considering your choice, you might like "Black Museum".

I've actually been surprised that Black Mirror is not a more talked about show in the non-music parts of this site.  Gets too dark for many I would expect. And I have only known one other big Inside No. 9 fan at this forum.

I was recommended Black Mirror and Utopia (the original British one) by a forum member years ago in a post (before Netflix got Black Mirror) and was blown-away by both series. 

For Christmas, my wife bought me the book Black Mirror and Philosophy: Dark Reflections which contains essays on each episode and I find very good.  

Edited by Logan - June 03 2021 at 15:04
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 15:05
My top 10 list (in order or greatness):

1. Shut Up and Dance <-- my vote
2. White Christmas
3. White Bear
4. Nosedive
5. USS Callister
6. Black Museum
7. The Entire History of You
8. The National Anthem
9. San Junipero
10. Hang the DJ

Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 16:35
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Yep, White Bear is disturbing on several levels.  Shut Up and Dance is the one I would most compare it with.

I do hope you try USS Callister at least at some time, which I will heartily recommend to any Trekkies and the like out there. Considering your choice, you might like "Black Museum".

I've actually been surprised that Black Mirror is not a more talked about show in the non-music parts of this site.  Gets too dark for many I would expect. And I have only known one other big Inside No. 9 fan at this forum.

I was recommended Black Mirror and Utopia (the original British one) by a forum member years ago in a post (before Netflix got Black Mirror) and was blown-away by both series. 

For Christmas, my wife bought me the book Black Mirror and Philosophy: Dark Reflections which contains essays on each episode and I find very good.  

I do want to finish watching it one day...but its a bit further down an ever growing list of shows and movies that I need to see. For me, the problem is it's not dark enough. I like some of the ideas, but either its deployed in a way that I don't like (like The Entire History Of You) or just written poorly (like the debut episode). But perhaps it was just oversold to me, as it was very hyped up before I had access to watch it. Maybe I just have a different view of what bleak and horrible and depressing is, so when it doesn't scratch that surface I think of it as a disappointment.  
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 17:03

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I do want to finish watching it one day...but its a bit further down an ever growing list of shows and movies that I need to see. For me, the problem is it's not dark enough. I like some of the ideas, but either its deployed in a way that I don't like (like The Entire History Of You) or just written poorly (like the debut episode). But perhaps it was just oversold to me, as it was very hyped up before I had access to watch it. Maybe I just have a different view of what bleak and horrible and depressing is, so when it doesn't scratch that surface I think of it as a disappointment.  

It depends on one's limits, it's not really dark to me overall.  I love the debut, thought it was brilliant, but I'm in a minority there. I thought it was an audacious sort of tragicomedy.  I didn't much like The Entire History of You.  Crocodile's pretty bleak, with some humour.  Metalhead is in its own way too.  It does deal with tragic circumstances.  I like the way it deals with ethical considerations.

I got pushback for including Black Mirror in a black comedy poll, but it is sometimes listed as comedy drama (dramedy) and I do find a lot of it quite funny.  Charlie Brooker himself does lots of comedy (and he'll talk for hours about anything scatological).  Problem with thinking of it as comedy is it may not be funny enough for people, and as a dark show, not dark enough.  Utopia (the original series, not the Amazon remake) scratched that can get really dark itch for me.    I had  a friend who couldn't take Utopia when I put it on, yet he loves The Human Centipede, which I don't wish to watch (he found it very funny).

I find Black Mirror very funny at times, and very silly at times, but humour is in the eye of the beholder.  When things get hyped and you come in with certain expectations it can lessen the value.

Lots to watch, though.  These days I'm mostly watching anime on Funimation.  The Third Day with Jude Law was one of my favourite darker series that I've seen in the last year or so, made by the same person behind Utopia.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 18:17
Lots of favourites... I think the 5th season was great too. IMDb users didn't do it justice IMO.

Voting for Nosedive.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 03:04
Voted White Bear.

Honorary mentions to Shut up & Dance, The Entire history of You, Nosedive, San Junipero & Hated in the Nation.

Love Black Mirror.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2021 at 12:21
I think Smithereens deserves more mentions here. The tension, the adventure... it was such a great episode. Ambivalent too... I actually couldn't blame anyone there. Scapegoating is generally taking the easy way out.
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2023 at 11:46
 Post Reply Post Reply