Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your 10 Favourite Prog Albums of 1972

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 08:59
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Amon Duul II - Wolf City
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
Yes - CTTE
Premiata Fomeria Marconi - Per Un Amico
CAN - Ege Bamyasi

Hi,

Ange - Caricatures needs to be listed. The long cut alone says it all ... and it was a take on the album cover by PF ... "ecoute ... ecoute ... "

Yeah ... this would be a few on a list of mine. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 09:03
^^ It's very impressive that the first three albums on your list have picked up 21 votes so far out of 26 votes cast in total. I must be one of the few here who didn't vote for any of those three classic albums. Embarrassed
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 10:00
1 Herbie Hancock - Crossings
2 Can - Ege Bamyası
3 Chick Corea - Return to Forever
4 Premiata Forneria Marconi - Storia di un minuto
5 Faust - So Far
6 Moving Gelatine Plates - The World of Genius Hans
7 Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band - Clear Spot
8 Curved Air - Phantasmagoria
9 Kraan - Kraan
10 Brave New World - Impressions on Reading Aldous Huxley

Doesn't feel rigt to be leaving out a at least dozen masterpieces by the likes of Embryo, Franck Dervieux, Weather Report, Jean-Claude Vannier, Tangerine Dream, Banco, Il Balletto di Bronzo, Dom, Gentle Giant, Stomu Yamash'ta, Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes... and plenty more (but I did find a way to mention them)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 21:10
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^^ It's very impressive that the first three albums on your list have picked up 21 votes so far out of 26 votes cast in total. I must be one of the few here who didn't vote for any of those three classic albums. Embarrassed

Hi,

Normally, I do not vote for JT, because it doesn't need it. I would rather that BANCO's DARWIN be listed in there, specially after such an incredible first album of theirs.

The only issue I have with JT's album being mentioned, is that everyone has heard it 32 times. AND, you can't say the same thing about any of the majority of the other albums. That doesn't make JT, one of the best ... it makes it a "favorite" ... and that is when "progressive music" stops being about the music, and more about the fame. 

JT and Ian, deserve the acclaim, but I think that compared to so much other music around the world, they are very good, but saying they are the best is the same thing as saying that you have not heard all the others at all!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2022 at 22:43
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Normally, I do not vote for JT, because it doesn't need it. I would rather that BANCO's DARWIN be listed in there, specially after such an incredible first album of theirs.

The only issue I have with JT's album being mentioned, is that everyone has heard it 32 times. AND, you can't say the same thing about any of the majority of the other albums. That doesn't make JT, one of the best ... it makes it a "favorite" ... and that is when "progressive music" stops being about the music, and more about the fame. 

JT and Ian, deserve the acclaim, but I think that compared to so much other music around the world, they are very good, but saying they are the best is the same thing as saying that you have not heard all the others at all!

What a fraud you are. You b*tch and moan about "songs", and here you have an album from a very popular group who had the balls, the audacity and the belief in themselves to go against convention (and the record industry) and provide a release without a single, and without any songs whatsoever, just continuous music over 2 sides of an album. 

I have heard all the others albums mentioned, and own most of them, but you know what? TAAB is simply a remarkable album, and what's even more remarkable is it went to #1 in the States because of how good it was. 

Great album design, great lyrics, masterful playing, no individual songs and actually popular among a wide swathe of listeners, not merely pretentious tw*ts who namedrop authors and film directors because they themselves are bankrupt of any original ideas -- tell me, how many bands can pull that off?

Edited by The Dark Elf - February 06 2022 at 22:44
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 07:59

It's very impressive that the first three albums on your list have picked up 21 votes so far out of 26 votes cast in total. I must be one of the few here who didn't vote for any of those three classic albums. Embarrassed
One of 4 to be exact, by I have to admit your Top 10 is pretty solid. The only one that I've haven't played in very long time is Flied Egg - Dr. Siegel's Flied Egg Shooting Machine. Catapilla, Khan, Nektar and Procol Harum are my favorites from your list and I still have them on my CD shelve. Smile
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 08:04
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

What a fraud you are. You b*tch and moan about "songs", and here you have an album from a very popular group who had the balls, the audacity and the belief in themselves to go against convention (and the record industry) and provide a release without a single, and without any songs whatsoever, just continuous music over 2 sides of an album. 

I have heard all the others albums mentioned, and own most of them, but you know what? TAAB is simply a remarkable album, and what's even more remarkable is it went to #1 in the States because of how good it was. 

Great album design, great lyrics, masterful playing, no individual songs and actually popular among a wide swathe of listeners, not merely pretentious tw*ts who namedrop authors and film directors because they themselves are bankrupt of any original ideas -- tell me, how many bands can pull that off?

The Dark Elf - I wouldn't want to piss you off and meet you in a dark  ally Wink but... I agree with you 100%.
TAAB is one of the pillars of progressive rock. In my book - Top 20 progressive rock albums ever recorded. Outstanding concept, with awesome artwork and 40+ min of excellent music without any fillers. 

Edited by enigmatic - February 07 2022 at 08:31
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2022 at 08:14
Originally posted by enigmatic enigmatic wrote:

It's very impressive that the first three albums on your list have picked up 21 votes so far out of 26 votes cast in total. I must be one of the few here who didn't vote for any of those three classic albums. Embarrassed
One of 4 to be exact, by I have to admit your Top 10 is pretty solid. The only one that I've haven't played in very long time is Flied Egg - Dr. Siegel's Flied Egg Shooting Machine. Catapilla, Khan, Nektar and Procol Harum are my favorites from your list and I still have them on my CD shelve. Smile
Out of those rare albums you mentioned, Dr. Siegel's Flied Egg Shooting Machine is the only album I have on CD (courtesy of Amazon), even though it's probably the least-known album of them all, outside of Japan. Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 06:59
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Hi,

Look who's talking and using the words. I'm not.

I happen to like, A LOT, the JT from the early days, and my liking it stops after Minstrel in a Gallery, when my interests were too far into the rest of the world, and I did not think that JT was keeping up. Doesn't make it bad or not good enough, btw ... except to you!

I would ALWAYS mention TAAB and PP as two of the top albums, but I can not let go of the other material which is also far out and valuable, regardless of the issue if I have a favorite or not ... my appreciation is still there 50 some years later.

Edited by moshkito - February 08 2022 at 07:00
www.pedrosena.com
Philchem8 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philchem8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2022 at 18:29
1. Genesis - Foxtrot
2. Curved Air - Phantasmagoria
3. Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick (despite the above controversy)
4. Procol Harum - Live with Edmonton Philharmonic Orchestra
5. Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn
6. Yes - Close to the Edge
7. Focus - Focus III
8. Renaissance- Prologue
9. PFM - Per Un Amico
10.ELP - Trilogy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123