Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brazil (US) for Heavy Prog, Possibly Crossover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote obscenemachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brazil (US) for Heavy Prog, Possibly Crossover
    Posted: June 20 2021 at 20:39

Formed in the summer of 2000 and named after Terry Gilliam's 1985 dystopian science fiction film, Brazil were a progressive post-hardcore band from Indiana consisting of brothers Jonathon and Nic Newby (vocals and keyboards respectively), Aaron Smith (guitar), Eric Johnson (guitar), Benjamin Hunt (bass), and Scott Freeman (drums). Over a period of several months they gigged wherever and wherever they could; full-time playing was impossible because half of the band members were still in school. In December of 2001 they recorded a 6-song demo It Keeps the Machine Running and mailed out over 100 copies to record labels, booking agents and promoters. They eventually caught the attention of Bob Becker, the head of Fearless Records, and signed a contract, releasing their debut EP “Dasein” in August of 2002.

After months of touring, and James Sefchek having replaced Freeman on drums, the band went back to the recording studio, and 2004 saw the release of A Hostage and the Meaning of Life. A semi-concept album dealing with themes of longing and dehumanization, A Hostage... was well-received by critics, who drew comparisons to At the Drive-In and Coheed and Cambria (the latter of which Brazil would open for while touring in support of their new album). Over a year later and lacking the funds to produce a new album, the band were able to secure a deal with Immortal Records, and The Philosophy of Velocity was released in October of 2006. Considered Brazil's magnum opus, it would ultimately be their final album, with Jonathon leaving the band less than a year later and the other members breaking up immediately afterwards.

Discography

Dasein (EP, 2002)

Youtube

A Hostage and the Meaning of Life (LP, 2004)

Youtube

The Philosophy of Velocity (LP, 2006)

Ere I Am J.H. (EP, 2008)

A “post-mortem” EP featuring three unreleased songs, four alternate versions of older songs and one live track.

Youtube

~

I don't consider myself to be much of a writer, but I hope my bio is satisfactory. I used the following links for information:

https://web.archive.org/web/20021206150402/http://braziltheband.com/info/bio.htm

https://en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/3897866

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/brazil-mn0000616675/biography

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 01:47
Thanks for your suggestion.

Anyway they're not Heavy. I'm afraid if they could be fit for Crossover (sounds like authentic hard rock, not enough progressive for me). Will alert the Team. Smile
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 04:10
I’ve not listened yet, but if they are similar to Coheed, as suggested, then Crossover is where Coheed is within PA. When making submissions, if there are noted similarities to another band already in PA, it is generally a good indicator that that is the genre you should be submitting them for. (Not always, of course, the case, but probably 99% of the time.)

DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2021 at 17:04
Sorry but they've been rejected.
 Post Reply Post Reply