Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Insomnium for Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javajeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Insomnium for Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
    Posted: July 12 2021 at 11:25
Insomnium is a melodic death metal band with lots of progressive elements. Each album is excellent as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEiTHHdOXlE
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2021 at 13:17
My impression of IMNSONIUM is that they are nothing more than a melodic death metal band. Sure, there are a few progressive touches here and there but i doubt they are enough for inclusion.

BTW the new rules state that all suggestions require a bio and photo of band in question.

In this case provide an album or two for sampling. Not just a single video clip.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2021 at 13:27
Originally posted by javajeff javajeff wrote:

Insomnium is a melodic death metal band with lots of progressive elements. Each album is excellent as well.

Your own words speak volumes. Insomnium is a melodic death metal band with prog elements - and elements are not enough to gain entrance into PA.

Take any genre or sub genre and you will find bands across a spectrum that covers everything from “absolutely prog” to “not even close to prog”. It’s black at one end, and white at the other, so there are plenty of shades of grey inbetween, where people might argue that something is approaching prog, or has prog elements, etc. But to be accepted into PA a band needs to be more than just approaching prog, or have prog elements.

I like Insomnium, and I’d agree that some of their albums are excellent. I can understand why their albums tend to be reviewed by prog websites, and prog magazines, because they will be appreciated by a lot of the readers. But I’m not sure they are prog “enough” for the prog metal team to consider.

However, if you do want us to consider them, then you do need to provide a full bio, links and a photo. Just be aware that even if you go to that trouble, there’s certainly no guarantee that they’ll get the green light.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2021 at 13:39

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2021 at 15:19
I like this band, too. 

They deserve a chance to be evaluated just for their 2016 album Winter's Gate. Tongue

I've just seen that they have been rejected before. Ouch

Edited by Cristi - July 12 2021 at 15:19
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2021 at 15:28
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I like this band, too. 

They deserve a chance to be evaluated just for their 2016 album Winter's Gate. Tongue

When were they rejected? Before or after Winter’s Gate? That was the first album I heard from them, and it really impressed. A 40 minute single track album in six movements attracted my attention fairly well. 🤘🏻🖤

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2021 at 15:40
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I like this band, too. 

When were they rejected? Before or after Winter’s Gate? That was the first album I heard from them, and it really impressed. A 40 minute single track album in six movements attracted my attention fairly well. 🤘🏻🖤

I don't know when, but they were. 
We'll have to make a decision whether we'll look into them again, give them a second chance. Smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2021 at 17:07
Progfreak suggests that the last evaluation was about 5 years ago, which means that 'Winters Gate' might well have been the album which triggered that particular evaluation. The last suggestion for their inclusion that I could find here in the public forum was eight years ago in April 2013, and on that occasion it wasn't forwarded to the Prog Metal team for evaluation by the New Suggestions Forum Monitor of the day, seventhsojourn.

There was an evaluation carried out sometime around 2009 too, with all the team members voting 'no' on that occasion, and there should be some comments in the Prog Metal team thread in the collab zone relating to which of the more recent albums that second evaluation from around five years ago was based upon if someone wants to do a topic search. Not all the team members actually voted on that second occasion, but three straight 'no's from those who did was more than enough to reject the band again.
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javajeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2021 at 18:26
Isn't Prog-related a genre? Doesn't that mean by definition groups that are not prog?

Edited by javajeff - July 12 2021 at 18:27
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2021 at 18:42

Isn't Prog-related a genre? Doesn't that mean by definition groups that are not prog?

That's a tough one these days. The prog related doors seem to have been slammed shut.

Just a tad prog isn't good enough any more i guess.

In order to go this route you have to find an admin who pushes for inclusion.

How you do that remains a mystery to me.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javajeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 02:31
Winter’s Gate is a masterpiece.

Edited by javajeff - July 17 2021 at 09:08
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 02:46

Winter’s Gate is a masterpiece. The problem is that members with proggy ears suggest bands that they want to review, and are not on the site. Multiple members say they like this band. Then the prog g-ds flex their egos and say no. This site would be better catering to the members since it is their ears that draw them to the same place.

Keep adding Buckethead albums. That is a huge prog attraction.

what's a "prog g-ds"? Seems like an insult and there's no need for that. 

Instead of insults, maybe make a case for the band re-evaluation. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 03:38

Winter’s Gate is a masterpiece. The problem is that members with proggy ears suggest bands that they want to review, and are not on the site. Multiple members say they like this band. Then the prog g-ds flex their egos and say no. This site would be better catering to the members since it is their ears that draw them to the same place.

Keep adding Buckethead albums. That is a huge prog attraction.

No need to be such a d*ck about it. It’s irrelevant whether any or multiple people like something. Liking something has no bearing on whether or not something is added.

Two of the “prog g-ds” that could “flex their egos” have given you constructive feedback, and suggested they might agree to Insomnium being added. Insulting us isn’t the right way to get things. Luckily it’s not about our egos, or even our tastes, as it is our job to be as objective as possible - meaning that should Insomnium come to us, we will give it a fair chance despite your unnecessary aggressive attitutude.

There have been multiple times when we “prog g-ds” have agreed to the inclusion of a band we don’t like, or even think is pretty crap - but they are prog enough to deserve to be included. Conversely, there have been multiple times where we might really like what we hear, but it’s just not prog enough to include. It’s not about egos, and the only one that appears to have the ego here is you.

Edited by nick_h_nz - July 15 2021 at 03:38
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2021 at 05:09
Kool name!  Smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply