Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little Shakespeare!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2021 at 08:04
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

... which gives the idea of the whole thing suggesting that William Shakespeare is actually a bunch of writers, not one person (The Shakespeare Conspiracy with Sir Derek Jacobi) ...

That movie that Jacobi was part of called  "Anonymous" is full of factual inaccuracies, not the least being that the play being performed to stir up the rabble was not "Richard III" as depicted in the film but rather "Richard II", which is strange because Jacobi was in a film version of "Richard II" and should have known better. From there the film completely misrepresents what happened after the perfomance.

This whole question of true authorship of Shakespeare seems to me to be nothing more than a pissing contest between academics trying to show off their scholarship about the period

As I recall hearing someone say "Shakespeare didn't write Shakespeare, some other bloke named Shakespeare wrote them.

As for "Chimes at Midnight", it is a film I would certainly like to get an opportunity to veiw.

On a somewhat related topic, BBC2 did a series called "The Hollow Crown" which presented both the Richard's and all the Henry's as a single narrative. It was very "Game of Thrones".

Edited by Hugh Manatee - December 24 2021 at 08:09
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2021 at 07:58
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

On a somewhat related topic, BBC2 did a series called "The Hollow Crown" which presented both the Richard's and all the Henry's as a single narrative. It was very "Game of Thrones".

Hi,

Thx ... gonna look for this one.

But remember, if you catch CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT. The less you know about Shakespeare and the stories, the better this film is. Get the DVD that has the extra stuff on it. Some really nice bits!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2021 at 03:26
From the initial list I've seen Peter Greenaway's "Prospero's Books" which is one of my all time favourite films, and Kurosawa's "Ran" and Laurence Olivier's "Richard III" both if which I liked a lot. Maybe some others as well but can't remember for sure.

Aki Kaurismäki's "Hamlet Goes Business" is great fun!

(I was also going to mention "Tromeo & Juliet" but maybe I won't.) LOL

Edited by Hiram - December 28 2021 at 03:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12