Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chimes and Chains

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2021 at 18:14

Tangerine Dream

OSZILLATOR PLANET CONCERT (1971)

This 8+ minute piece came from an album called “Ossiach Live.”  I never had this album; my copy of O.P.C. comes from the aforementioned TD bootleg, “Electronic Orgy.”

10-7-2021  |  Listening state of mind:  Still recuperating from listening to that cheesy new “Yes” album.  And I’m incredibly hungry… haven’t eaten all day.  But I have a giant plate of homemade spaghetti in front of me, which I plan on horfing down while I listen to this.

Oszillator Planet Concert:

The first 5+ minutes have no guitar, and no other instruments than synth & organ, that I can tell.  Some guitar notes are finally plucked & bent, starting at the 5.5 minute mark of this mostly formless and ambient piece.  A minute or so later, a lower-register guitar comes in with a slow, methodical note progression which changes key back and forth until the end.  There are moments that remind me of the title track of Alpha Centauri, but this is mellower.

Some brief thoughts after this re-listening:  It’s another interesting historical nugget in their early material, but that’s as far as I can go.  The piece doesn’t offend my ears, but I don’t ever foresee myself saying, “Hey – I’m in the mood for Oszillator Planet Concert!”  My spaghetti, on the other hand, was absolute dynamite!

Edited by ProfPanglos - October 07 2021 at 18:15
DIGNITAS - FIRMITAS - GRAVITAS - COMITAS - LIBERTAS
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 09:51
Originally posted by ProfPanglos ProfPanglos wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

The best post-departure surprise that involved Franke was the unveiling of the bonus disc with four long pieces in the Dream Roots box set. "Valley of the Sun" is a closet classic if I ever heard one.

Right???  How did *that* one not make it to a studio album?  Valley Of The Sun is one of my ALL-TIME favorite TD pieces!

Speaking of Dream Roots, I know a lot of people/purists had heartburn about the "Tangentized" TD tracks on both Tangents and Dream Roots (I am also one of those who didn't appreciate the additions) - but I did sort of groove on what they did with the early experimental pieces on Disc 1 of Dream Roots.  I haven't heard those Dream Roots discs in forever, and have [finally] come to love the originals of those early years, so I may not appreciate the Dream Roots CD1 additions anymore.  I'll probably get there to review it on this blog in about 20 years.

When I first got Tangents, I enjoyed the experimentation. Once the honeymoon was over, I knew nothing would top the originals (and Edgar did that since he didn't have the rights to a lot of material at the time). The bonus disc of rarities was the best part, naturally.

And ditto on Disc 1 of Dream Roots.

Are you a Radio Massacre International fan?

I appreciate what they do, but I wouldn't call myself a fan (maybe I need to hear more). I do like the output of Mark Shreeve (solo and Redshift) and Ian Boddy, and their collaborations as Arc are fantastic.

A short-lived band (duo) I loved was Wavestar. They weren't around long, but they left their mark! Moonwind is essential EM.
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 12:19

Tangerine Dream

ZEIT (1972)

Track list:  Birth Of Liquid Plejades  |  Nebulous Dawn  |  Origin Of Supernatural Probabilities  |  Zeit

“Zeit” was another TD album I purchased around ’81 or ’82 - a “special order” from Europe - and I had ordered both “Zeit” and “Alpha Centauri/Atem” at the same time (paying about $20.00 for each) which at that time seemed astronomical since LPs typically ranged from around $7.00 for a standard LP and maybe $10 or $12 for a double LP.

As an aside, I lived in Taiwan from 1977 to 1980 and the pirated albums there sold for the equivalent of $0.18 USD.  I built a huge LP and cassette collection from my years living in Taiwan, and every summer from ’81 to ’84 I’d go back there for a month to visit my dad.  The last trip (’84) I actually got harassed by Customs because I had so many LPs that they thought I was re-selling them in the US.  I was taken to some office in the airport and had to explain to these Customs officers that they were for my own personal collection; that I was just a music buff.

In the early 1980’s when I was in high school back in the USA 99.9% of my peers and friends had no clue who Tangerine Dream was.  Everyone was listening to Van Halen, Rush, Scorpions, AC/DC, Queen, Loverboy, The B-52’s, Talking Heads, Duran Duran, The Police, U2, or whatever.  The radio stuff.  The “New Wave” was in full swing.  Bright colors, shoulder pads, big hair, skinny ties, and androgyny was all the rage.  Running concurrent with the “New Wave” music was the increasing popularity with “New Age” music, and that was often where one could find interesting electronic (and acoustic) music.  I remember reading an interview decades ago with Edgar Froese where they asked him about the frequent labeling of Tangerine Dream’s music as “New Age.”  I can’t remember his exact words, but he said something like “We view things from a very high tower, and we don’t see this ‘new age’ anywhere.”  It cracked me up.

10-8-2021  |  Listening state of mind:  Calm & sober, and ready to don the headphones for an uninterrupted serious listening of this epic, generally well-respected double album.

ZEIT – I cannot separate the pieces to comment on them.  (Well, I can, but I won’t.)  Personally, I think this is a special album, and the 4 different tracks all belong together, and create a “whole” experience after listening.  I feel enveloped by all of it.  The tracks can stand by themselves, for sure… and each are distinctly different, but it just seems to me that they need to be taken as a whole – that the sum is greater than the parts, and that something is “lost” when they are separated and analyzed too deeply.

What comes to my mind as I listen?  “Minimalist.”  “Classical.”  “Encompassing.”  “Meditative.”  The album is aptly titled; a sense of… long passages of time, eons, evolution… things like this come to my mind.  Harmony, discord, complexity, simplicity, integration, disintegration, growth, decay, the material and the immaterial… it’s all here.  A very evocative album.

I rescind my earlier comment about “Alpha Centauri” being my favorite of the 4 early experimental studio albums.  “Zeit” is far better and more… mature.  And I’m looking forward to listening to “Atem” - but it won’t be today.  I feel an afterglow effect with “Zeit,” and I want to carry it with me for the rest of the day (or make a good attempt to, anyway).

Edited by ProfPanglos - October 08 2021 at 12:21
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 16:22

Running concurrent with the “New Wave” music was the increasing popularity with “New Age” music, and that was often where one could find interesting electronic (and acoustic) music.  I remember reading an interview decades ago with Edgar Froese where they asked him about the frequent labeling of Tangerine Dream’s music as “New Age.”  I can’t remember his exact words, but he said something like “We view things from a very high tower, and we don’t see this ‘new age’ anywhere.”  It cracked me up.

Haha! Edgar definitely did not consider Tangerine Dream a New Age band ("—not that there's anything wrong with that!") and neither did I. One friend, who was a (very) casual fan (but did attend the Optical Race concert with our group), did call them New Age, and it was mostly to annoy me. Confused

John McLaughlin once wrote in to Keyboard to voice his concern about the burgeoning New Age market, all but chastising amateur musicians who were "poking pianos and synthesizers and releasing albums."

I rescind my earlier comment about “Alpha Centauri” being my favorite of the 4 early experimental studio albums.  “Zeit” is far better and more… mature.  And I’m looking forward to listening to “Atem” - but it won’t be today.  I feel an afterglow effect with “Zeit,” and I want to carry it with me for the rest of the day (or make a good attempt to, anyway).

I'm giving Zeit a fresh revisit this weekend. It's been quite some time. Great write-up, Prof!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2021 at 18:04

Haha! Edgar definitely did not consider Tangerine Dream a New Age band ("—not that there's anything wrong with that!") and neither did I. One friend, who was a (very) casual fan (but did attend the Optical Race concert with our group), did call them New Age, and it was mostly to annoy me. Confused

John McLaughlin once wrote in to Keyboard to voice his concern about the burgeoning New Age market, all but chastising amateur musicians who were "poking pianos and synthesizers and releasing albums."

I'm giving Zeit a fresh revisit this weekend. It's been quite some time. Great write-up, Prof!

You know, I think McLaughlin's being a bit severe.  While a lot of it was indeed weak and cheesy, some really good stuff came out of those "new age" artists.  Others may disagree.  I thought Andreas Vollenweider's Caverna Magica was a great album, and still do.  I really love a lot of the earlier Windham Hill stuff, like George Winston, Alex DeGrassi, William Ackerman, Shadowfax, and so on.  I was a very early follower of the Windham Hill stuff, and actually saw George Winston (for the first time), in a high school auditorium with about 100 people in the audience.  By the following year, he was selling out the Opera House.  Another great classic (to me) of electronic music that was "new age" - and now quite rare - was Trans-Millenia Consort's Plot Zero.  Suzanne Ciani got more popular/more noticed during that whole time period too, with Seven Waves and Velocity Of Love.  Another really great rarity (that I unfortunately no longer have) was an album by a dude named Darren Kearns - titled Optimal Being.  I've seen it occasionally on eBay... one of these days I'll get another copy.  Another guy I like is Thierry Fervant.  Swiss, I think.  His albums Univers, Seasons Of Life, and Blue Planet are all enjoyable to me.

Thanks for the kind words on the write-up, and thanks for the conversation in general.  It's fun to talk TD with someone who knows as much or more about them than I do! 

Edited to add:  Is the eBay link in your signature stuff from your own collection?  I saw Lucia Hwong's House Of Sleeping Beauties and Robert Schroeder's Brain Voyager in there and smiled... two albums I very much enjoy, though I haven't heard either of them in a looooong time.

Edited by ProfPanglos - October 08 2021 at 18:09
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 12:58

Haha! Edgar definitely did not consider Tangerine Dream a New Age band ("—not that there's anything wrong with that!") and neither did I. One friend, who was a (very) casual fan (but did attend the Optical Race concert with our group), did call them New Age, and it was mostly to annoy me. Confused

John McLaughlin once wrote in to Keyboard to voice his concern about the burgeoning New Age market, all but chastising amateur musicians who were "poking pianos and synthesizers and releasing albums."

I'm giving Zeit a fresh revisit this weekend. It's been quite some time. Great write-up, Prof!

You know, I think McLaughlin's being a bit severe.  While a lot of it was indeed weak and cheesy, some really good stuff came out of those "new age" artists.  Others may disagree.

I concur he was being very severe, though I understand his perspective, considering his accomplishments. The mushrooming of the category is mostly to blame. My guess is he wandered into a New Age shop along the Californian coast (like Santa Cruz) and saw a rack full of tapes by artists he'd never heard of, and was accosted by the strains of tinkling plastic DX tones and wind FX, emanating from the store's speaker system. LOL

I thought Andreas Vollenweider's Caverna Magica was a great album, and still do.  I really love a lot of the earlier Windham Hill stuff, like George Winston, Alex DeGrassi, William Ackerman, Shadowfax, and so on.

I had Vollenweider's Down to the Moon and played it a lot. I still need to get the remaster of that. I think it might have some extra music.

Shadowfax is awesome, and they do have fans here. They inevitably streamlined, but their early material is prog as far as I'm concerned. There's a great performance & interview video from the early '80s on YouTube where they tear it up. Chuck burns a solo on his EWI in the very first piece that probably sent a lot of reed players to Yamaha dealers. And Phil Maggini is an excellent bassist.

I was a very early follower of the Windham Hill stuff, and actually saw George Winston (for the first time), in a high school auditorium with about 100 people in the audience.

George Winston is a tremendous pianist. There's nothing wimpy about his playing at all.

Another fine Windham Hill pianist is Liz Story, whose first four albums I love. Hers is a very different but no less evocative style.

And we must credit Windham Hill for introducing us to one of the greatest bassists of all time, Michael Manring!

Suzanne Ciani got more popular/more noticed during that whole time period too, with Seven Waves and Velocity Of Love.

A perfect example of a pioneering artist who was marketed as New Age for lack of a proper category. Ciani's early synthesizer albums are top notch EM. In recent years, she's returned to her love for the Buchla and modular synthesis and made many wonderful electronic noises again. The Sunergy album with Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith was the best new music Ciani had made since The Velocity of Love.

Another really great rarity (that I unfortunately no longer have) was an album by a dude named Darren Kearns - titled Optimal Being.  I've seen it occasionally on eBay... one of these days I'll get another copy.

That's a new one to me! Looks like it was never issued on CD. I sampled some of it on YT. He's got some nice gear on that. One piece reminds me of Phaedra.

One I know you'll like is one by Chris Spheeris & Paul Voudouris called Passage (1982). It's OOP, but it's on YouTube. Three longform pieces. An unsung gem!

Another guy I like is Thierry Fervant.  Swiss, I think.  His albums Univers, Seasons Of Life, and Blue Planet are all enjoyable to me.

I've only heard Legends of Avalon. Another guy I need to hear more by!

Thanks for the kind words on the write-up, and thanks for the conversation in general.  It's fun to talk TD with someone who knows as much or more about them than I do!

Likewise! It's been a while since I've seen a dedicated TD thread and this one's shaping up. Thumbs Up

Edited to add:  Is the eBay link in your signature stuff from your own collection?  I saw Lucia Hwong's House Of Sleeping Beauties and Robert Schroeder's Brain Voyager in there and smiled... two albums I very much enjoy, though I haven't heard either of them in a looooong time.

Yeah, those are extras. I used to buy stuff in lots and sometimes I'd upgrade or swap out a pressing. I basically sell to buy more! I have my personal copies of those. Brain Voyager is just wonderful. Schroeder's got some others I like, but that's the one I keep coming back to. The last piece, "The Inside of Feelings," is one of his best.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 13:55

Shadowfax is awesome, and they do have fans here. They inevitably streamlined, but their early material is prog as far as I'm concerned. There's a great performance & interview video from the early '80s on YouTube where they tear it up. Chuck burns a solo on his EWI in the very first piece that probably sent a lot of reed players to Yamaha dealers. And Phil Maggini is an excellent bassist.

Interesting tidbit:  My brother-in-law (RIP) Steve Izzi was a professional sound engineer on the East Coast from the '70's to the '90's.  He is credited as making the first recording of the lyricon.  I don't recall who the artist was, though.  He also assisted production for Birdsongs of the Mesozioc's Faultline.  Also did pro sound work for Boston Public Radio and the WWF.  An extremely talented, gentle, total audiophile and all-around great guy - I miss him.

Another fine Windham Hill pianist is Liz Story, whose first four albums I love. Hers is a very different but no less evocative style.

The only one of hers that I have is Soild Colors - and always liked it a lot.

And we must credit Windham Hill for introducing us to one of the greatest bassists of all time, Michael Manring!

Manring's the man.  Definitely in my top 5 bassists list.  Here's my Michael Manring story: Being into all that WH stuff in the '80's, I took my girlfriend to a Montreaux concert (Higbie, Anger, Marshall, Manring, etc. - I'm sure you're familiar) which was held, of all places, at a small auditorium at my community college.  The band played energetically and flawlessly, but MM was keeping in the background, not getting fancy or out front with the bass.  Then, right before the intermission, the band said they were taking a break and Manring was going to play a fretless solo to close out the first half of the set.  (He was playing an Ernie Ball Music Man 4-string, nice tobacco sunburst.)  The solo was... well, you know Manring.  It was OUT OF THIS WORLD.  The crowd gave him a thunderous applause.  I'll never forget it, and it was all anyone was talking about during the intermission, LOL.

One I know you'll like is one by Chris Spheeris & Paul Voudouris called Passage (1982). It's OOP, but it's on YouTube. Three longform pieces. An unsung gem!

I have Enchantment on CD - I'll give Passage a listen!

LMAO, when I posted about Thierry Fervant, I almost said "just don't get Legends of Avalon."  Haha.  I thought Legends was kind of weak.  The three I mentioned are all better, in my opinion, with my personal favorite being Seasons Of Life.  The original artwork to Seasons of Life had this crazy-looking baby doll thing on the cover, and a great pic of Thierry manning the helm of his synth rack in his studio on the back.  I seem to recall a Prophet 5 (or maybe a 10) in the pic.  A friend of mine was co-hosting a "Hearts of Space" radio show back in the early '80's, and asked me for a couple of lesser-known artists/albums to play, so I handed him Fervant's Seasons and Adelbert Von Deyen's Atmosphere.

Edited by ProfPanglos - October 09 2021 at 14:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2021 at 15:12
verslibre - Two other great EM albums I feel the need to mention (and am confident you will know them, if not own them) are:

Michael Garrison - In The Regions Of Sunreturn
Peter Michael Hamel - Nada

I consider those 2 albums essential.

Listening to Passage now, by the way, and am enjoying it very much... just starting the 2nd track now.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 11:15

Tangerine Dream

ATEM (1973)

Track List:  Atem  |  Fauni-Gena  |  Circulation Of Events  |  Wahn

The first album of the famous Froese/Franke/Baumann trio, and the last album on the Ohr label.  Also, their last album without the use of sequencers, as far as I know.

Atem:

The heavy use of drums - which took a brief departure on Zeit - is back in full force on this track, at least, in the beginning of the piece.  The track starts out with more structure and melody (again, using “melody” in a very loose sense), but after about 5 minutes in, the drumming and synth work build to a bit of cacophony before cutting out entirely around the 6 minute mark, where it goes back to a somewhat discordant spacy ambience.  This ambience ebbs and flows for several minutes.  The music takes a slightly ominous turn after 14+ minutes in, with the help of a lower-register synth or organ drone applied, and then that drone migrates to a slow minor-key phrase over the next few minutes.  At 17+ minutes, the drone drops out for a bit, it gets spacier, and a white-noise-ish rhythm comes in, and then the drone reappears.  Kind of a dark piece, in my mind – moody and a little spooky.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Fauni-Gena:

What strikes me almost immediately is the flute-like sound in the front of the mix.  It’s a distinctive sound/mood Tangerine Dream will continue to use for several years forward.  Synthesizer “bird” noises arrive in the background, along with some faint and sparse whispered voice noises.  A rhythmic low-register undertone begins around the 6 minute mark, helping the whole piece to… I don’t know how to put it – “burble” a bit more.  That low rhythm makes a more pronounced appearance in the last minute of the track, an almost sequencer-like groove.  Overall, a good piece, and fits in nicely with the mood of the first track.

Circulation Of Events:

This one remains in the same slightly discordant, ominous mood as the previous piece.  A cool, rhythmic pulsating organ & synth begins around the 4 minute mark.  It’s too bad that the piece ends only a minute or two later, I felt like it should’ve been longer.

Wahn:

Multiple weird processed voices start this one out.  The bizarre intro hearkens back a bit more to the style of Electronic Mediation.  The voices are joined by drum hits with some kind of delay on them.  The synth doesn’t make its entry until 2 minutes in, but the drums keep going throughout.  The distinctive flute-like sound mentioned in Fauni-Gena returns briefly to close out the piece.

Some thoughts on this re-listening:  Yeah, it’s definitely a good album (if you like weird, experimental electronic music, LOL - I wouldn't play it at a party).  I like the dark, overall mood of it, but I enjoyed Zeit more.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 14:18

Tangerine Dream

GREEN DESERT (1973/1986)

Track List:  Green Desert  |  White Clouds  |  Astral Voyager  |  Indian Summer

In the early 1980’s (maybe 1983 or 1984? – I can’t remember) I had written a fan letter to the band, and received a signed photograph of the band by Edgar, Christopher, and Johannes.  On the back side of the print was a discography, with “Green Desert” listed with a 1973 reference.  Having never heard of this album before, I was intrigued.

TD-knowledgeable record store clerks I talked to knew nothing about it.  In 1986, the box set In The Beginning was released, and included the “previously unreleased” Green Desert, which was the first time I heard this album.  I loved it.

From what I have read of this recording, it was the first TD material to use the sequencer/rhythm controller.  Apparently the original 1973 material was embellished with more contemporary synthesizer sounds/additional tracks before its release in the box set – and it *is* certainly more “accessible” than Atem before it, or Phaedra after it.  I suspect the original, unaltered Green Desert material was far more experimental than what was ultimately delivered to us in 1986.  I don’t know if an unadulterated version of the material exists.  If so, and if anyone has a copy of it, I’d love to hear it.

Peter Baumann had taken some kind of hiatus in India & Nepal at this time, so this was a duo Froese/Franke effort – which they scrapped (due to Baumann’s absence) after getting signed with Virgin records.

Most (if not all) discographies place this in 1986 due to its release date, but I’m putting it here now, because its birth was post-Atem 1973, and because I have a thin vein of rebellious iconoclasm.  Plus, according to Froese, “Green Desert should have come out before Phaedra. We'd just acquired our first analogue sequencer and were playing around with it, but we got an offer from Virgin Records to use their Manor Studios in 1973, so we abandoned those tapes and started from zero."

Green Desert:

For me, this piece is just “signature” Tangerine Dream at their coolest.  Though very simple, it ranks quite high in my personal list of favorite TD tracks.

It’s that low, ominous minor-key droning synth pad running the length of the long piece that really makes my socks roll up and down.  I just love it.  I have to suspect it was a 1986 addition, but it doesn’t matter – it’s brilliant.  Franke’s drums fade in with a slow rock-oriented beat (different from the previous drumming heard on Alpha Centauri and Atem) around the 4.5 minute mark, accentuated by low, single-note bass synth notes in-key with the drone.  Edgar’s electric guitar comes in at the 5.5 minute mark, far more melodic than anything heard previously (so again, possibly a 1986 addition?).  But its placement is perfect, and the slow groove continues its menacing advance without any hurry – the mood and feel is dead-center perfect, and they just roll with it for a while.  Franke’s drumming gets more “fill” filled at around the 10 minute mark, ratcheting up the tension and intensity.  The tension continues to build until we get to that catharsis moment at 15:27.  The concluding 3-4 minutes is a complimentary melodic closing to an altogether fantastic piece.

White Clouds:

A straightforward melodic piece, much more accessible and melodic than anything previously listened to so far.  Franke’s drumming is clearly 1973 material to me, but the main melodic parts sound very mid-80’s.  It’s actually a bit of a boring piece, in my opinion.  It’s certainly listenable, and has a few brief similarities (especially toward the end) to the preceding track, but not nearly delivered with the same menacing atmosphere or muscle.

Astral Voyager:

The sequencer starts this piece out with a nice, pulsing, alternating chord change groove.  The track progresses without much change at all, other than increasing synth layers; Froese’s almost-signature “whistling” sound (familiar on Stuntman and Pinnacles) makes an appearance, surely an 80’s track addition.  I remember liking this track quite a bit when I first heard it, but to my current set of ears, it’s a bit uninteresting.

Indian Summer:

Plenty of white-noise whooshing, against a simple melodic phrase.  I’d be curious to know what, if anything, was 1973 material (other than the white noise).  Froese’s trademark whistling 1980’s synth sound comes in around the 2 minute mark, which definitely compliments and improves the piece a bit.  Again, like Astral Voyager and White Clouds, it just doesn’t move me much.

Some thoughts on this re-listening:  Side 1, the epic Green Desert title track, is what makes this album special and worthy to me.  Side 2 is music I can live without, but certainly very listenable.   

Edited by ProfPanglos - October 10 2021 at 14:22
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 18:28

Interesting tidbit:  My brother-in-law (RIP) Steve Izzi was a professional sound engineer on the East Coast from the '70's to the '90's.  He is credited as making the first recording of the lyricon.  I don't recall who the artist was, though.  He also assisted production for Birdsongs of the Mesozioc's Faultline.  Also did pro sound work for Boston Public Radio and the WWF.  An extremely talented, gentle, total audiophile and all-around great guy - I miss him.

That is awesome. Looks like your b-i-l has a Discogs entry: Steve Izzi | Discography | Discogs

The only one of hers that I have is Soild Colors - and always liked it a lot.

The next one, Unaccountable Effect, arrived a whopping three years later, but is as good if not better. If you get that one, you're set. Then her style begins to change.

Manring's the man.  Definitely in my top 5 bassists list.  Here's my Michael Manring story: Being into all that WH stuff in the '80's, I took my girlfriend to a Montreaux concert (Higbie, Anger, Marshall, Manring, etc. - I'm sure you're familiar) which was held, of all places, at a small auditorium at my community college.  The band played energetically and flawlessly, but MM was keeping in the background, not getting fancy or out front with the bass.  Then, right before the intermission, the band said they were taking a break and Manring was going to play a fretless solo to close out the first half of the set.  (He was playing an Ernie Ball Music Man 4-string, nice tobacco sunburst.)  The solo was... well, you know Manring.  It was OUT OF THIS WORLD.  The crowd gave him a thunderous applause.  I'll never forget it, and it was all anyone was talking about during the intermission, LOL.

Wow. You saw Manring "at the beginning of the adventure"! That was when nobody had any idea he was Jaco Part Deux. Even in the video for "To Be," you can see the flourishes that indicate he's not your average friendly neighborhood bass player. NO surprise that his bass solo was the topic of choice during the intermission!

Montreux was great. I have a couple others by them, and the album by Barbara and Darol called Tideline. Beautiful music. Barbara's a very talented composer.

LMAO, when I posted about Thierry Fervant, I almost said "just don't get Legends of Avalon."  Haha.  I thought Legends was kind of weak.  The three I mentioned are all better, in my opinion, with my personal favorite being Seasons Of Life.  The original artwork to Seasons of Life had this crazy-looking baby doll thing on the cover, and a great pic of Thierry manning the helm of his synth rack in his studio on the back.  I seem to recall a Prophet 5 (or maybe a 10) in the pic.  A friend of mine was co-hosting a "Hearts of Space" radio show back in the early '80's, and asked me for a couple of lesser-known artists/albums to play, so I handed him Fervant's Seasons and Adelbert Von Deyen's Atmosphere.

Thumbs Up Atmosphere is killer! I hear you about Avalon. It's "fluffy" (I don't currently own it). I never got around to hearing more by him because of the lack of availability of his titles (and nobody I knew had any) — when the deluge via Private, LifeStyle, Audion and I.C. (etc.) happened, there was more than enough to go around. The one duo eXchange sort of reminded me of Fervant, but they had some tracks with more oomph. But each successive album by them proved to be disposable cotton candy contempo.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2021 at 19:02

That is awesome. Looks like your b-i-l has a Discogs entry: Steve Izzi | Discography | Discogs

Thank you for sharing that!  He had a sound room in the basement of their house, which was mind-blowing.  Most audiophiles I knew had incredible hi-fi systems, but they were usually centered in the room against the wall.  His was the *entire giant wall* with a separate access room behind it to get to the miles of wiring.  I have been goofing around with synthesizers and original compositions myself since the mid-'80's, and he recorded/mixed some of my earlier stuff, too, for which I was mighty grateful!

Montreux was great. I have a couple others by them, and the album by Barbara and Darol called Tideline. Beautiful music. Barbara's a very talented composer.

Tideline is a fantastic album, one of my favorite offerings from the label.  The only solo Higbie CD I have is Signs Of Life... which I bought at a second-hand store for probably something like $1, and ended up really liking it.

Thumbs Up Atmosphere is killer!

It sure is.  I've never heard anything else by him, but remember seeing both Sternzeit and Nordborg in the record stores on occasion... I just never ended up buying them.  I'll have to check those out one of these days.

Edited by ProfPanglos - October 10 2021 at 19:03
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 12:15
I think I forgot to comment on Michael Garrison and Peter Michael Hamel:

I have ItRoS, Prism, Eclipse, Aurora Dawn and (I think) The Rhythm of Life by Garrison. Love, love his music. Such a tragic end for a sorely underrated electronic musician.

Hamel...another guy whose discography I've not gone deep enough into! I've heard nothing of his before 1980, and what I've heard was solid. Looks like I missed his best works. I'll check out Nada.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2021 at 17:10

GREEN DESERT (1973/1986)

Track List:  Green Desert  |  White Clouds  |  Astral Voyager  |  Indian Summer

Monumental album. You covered it:

Green Desert:

For me, this piece is just “signature” Tangerine Dream at their coolest.  Though very simple, it ranks quite high in my personal list of favorite TD tracks.

It’s that low, ominous minor-key droning synth pad running the length of the long piece that really makes my socks roll up and down.  I just love it.  I have to suspect it was a 1986 addition, but it doesn’t matter – it’s brilliant.  Franke’s drums fade in with a slow rock-oriented beat (different from the previous drumming heard on Alpha Centauri and Atem) around the 4.5 minute mark, accentuated by low, single-note bass synth notes in-key with the drone.  Edgar’s electric guitar comes in at the 5.5 minute mark, far more melodic than anything heard previously (so again, possibly a 1986 addition?).  But its placement is perfect, and the slow groove continues its menacing advance without any hurry – the mood and feel is dead-center perfect, and they just roll with it for a while.  Franke’s drumming gets more “fill” filled at around the 10 minute mark, ratcheting up the tension and intensity.  The tension continues to build until we get to that catharsis moment at 15:27.  The concluding 3-4 minutes is a complimentary melodic closing to an altogether fantastic piece.

Well said. I do think Edgar's guitar track was recorded ca. '85 or so, but it may have been based on an earlier idea. Either way, its restraint and retro-licious tone lends "Green Desert" another dimension that pairs well with that ominous bass drone. By keeping the proceedings much less busy than what we were used to at the time, there's an ambiguity intrinsic to the music that parallels the abstract title and the now legendary album cover photo.

White Clouds:

Astral Voyager:

Indian Summer:

Some thoughts on this re-listening:  Side 1, the epic Green Desert title track, is what makes this album special and worthy to me.  Side 2 is music I can live without, but certainly very listenable.

I love Side B as a trio of abstractions that don't reprise Side A: we get a moody rocker, a minimalist sequencer piece, and a brilliant (and definitely new) ambient piece that wouldn't be out of place on the Flashpoint soundtrack!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12