Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

In Gowan Ring for Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In Gowan Ring for Prog Folk
    Posted: November 14 2021 at 17:43
In Gowan Ring is the self-described "symbolist folk" project of Portland-based American multi-instrumentalist Bobin Eirth, which began in Utah sometime in the early 1990s. Going by B'eirth (or B'ee), the self-taught, peripatetic musician has released six albums, a handful of EPs and a number of archival collections, and remains active as of 2021. The project is inspired by folk music from around the world as well as early European music, in addition to more modern influences ranging from Tim Buckley, Brigitte Fontaine and Fred Neil to Malicorne, the Pentangle and Alan Stivell. B'eirth plays guitar, harp, flute and harmonica among others, as well as unique homemade stringed instruments of his own design. A seasoned performer, he has supported and toured with such artists as Robin Williamson (of noted inspiration and elemental progressive folk group the Incredible String Band), Faun Fables, Nick Castro, Blood Axis, Woven Hand and Faun.

His first three albums - 1994's Love Charms, 1997's The Twin Trees and 1999's The Glinting Spade - featured dense acid folk compositions with drone and minimalism influences, though his work as of 2002's Hazel Steps Through A Weathered Home has increasingly stripped back the soporific elements in favour of more sparse, vulnerable arrangements (though B'eirth does not shy from experimentation). In 2005, B'eirth formed the side project Birch Book, playing simpler material of a more personal and less abstract nature. After years of accruing songs and life experiences, In Gowan Ring returned in 2014 with the Heart Star Gift EP and 2015's sister albums The Serpent and the Dove and Visions of Shadows That Shine.

A modern-day troubadour, B'eirth's work will appeal to fans of the more delicate yet thoroughly psychedelic corners of progressive folk occupied by Sangre de Muerdago, Vashti Bunyan, Traveling Bell, Pearls Before Swine, Perry Leopold, Fit & Limo, P.G. Six, Constantine, Trees and Atman.

"Love Charms" (1994)

"The Twin Trees" (1997)

"The Glinting Spade" (1999)

"Hazel Steps through a Weathered Home" (2002)

"Heart Star Gift" (2014)

"Visions of Shadows that Shine" (2015)

"The Serpent and the Dove" (2015)

Edited by Gordy - April 27 2023 at 07:32
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 06:38
I've definitely listened to them in the past but will have to re-listen
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2021 at 18:06
They're so good. Wish he weren't pals with Blood Axis but the music is extraordinary.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 01:34
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I've definitely listened to them in the past but will have to re-listen

didn't we discuss this in our dedicated Zone thread?

Will also relisten.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2021 at 06:43
^ I couldn't find anything in the folk prog patch when I did a search.  I know something led me to them and I've listened on spotify but I don't think I was bowled over.  I'm in transit now so may not have time for a few days
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 11:10
Hugues is in favor, while I was unsure.  I defer to his experience so they are in.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 13:14
Gordy, are you willing to write a bio and add the valbums after I opened the page?
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2021 at 15:17
Thank you both. 

@Hugues: I actually wrote the above bio, I hope it's suitable for inclusion. And I'm perfectly happy to add his discography, it's the least I can do.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2021 at 01:50
ok, will let you know when I open up the page (most likely next week)
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2021 at 01:31
It's all yours Wink

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=12027
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
 Post Reply Post Reply