Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rostro del Sol (Mex) for heavy or psych

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rostro del Sol (Mex) for heavy or psych
    Posted: January 13 2022 at 06:30

Rostro del Sol

these guys (a standard quartet)  kill  they go all out - and I understand they've had a pphysical release

bandcamp
https://neciorecords.bandcamp.com/album/rostro-del-sol-rostro-del-sol-nr-lp022?from=embed

RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/rostro-del-sol
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2022 at 06:51
I don’t think Psych is right. Heavy works, I guess, but I think Eclectic is possibly best? I know this album, as I received it for review. I’ve listened to it a fair few times, and it’s rather neat. But although it does have psychedelia in the mix, it’s just one ingredient. There’s funk and jazz and soul, as well as psych and heavy blues. Well, actually, I guess it’s all provided in a heavy manner. There’s even metal, as it was in the ‘70s, if not as it’s thought of now. It’s very well done, as they’ve fused a number of genres, but in a very fluid fashion. It’s not at all as unwieldy as it could have been. I think the keys give a lightness of touch to the whole affair, as the warm sounds of vintage keys (or vintage patches on modern keys) gives a lovely fuzzy and nostalgic glow to the music. There’s definitely enough heavy prog in the music, that if it came to heavy, I’d probably give it a yes, rather than a move, vote. The psych team might think similar, that there is enough psych in the music to give a yes, rather than a move. But I wouldn’t be surprised if either team suggested somewhere else to be a better home for the band. Though, I’m not sure where it would be. I’d say send it to Heavy first, and see what the rest of the team think. As I say, there’s enough heavy prog in the mix for me to be most likely to go for a yes. (I will have to listen to it again, as it’s been awhile since I last listened to it.)

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2022 at 04:11
Whatever the genre (I know it's not easy to pigeonhol), but it would be nice that the album is validated for the AOTY 2021. Wink
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2022 at 14:20
I put the band on our HP chart. We will see...
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 13:58
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=12058

Thanks dudes Thumbs Up
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
 Post Reply Post Reply