Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Iron Maiden - top albums & songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2023 at 06:24
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Powerslave
The Number Of The Beast
Piece Of Mind
Killers

I probably don't need anything more than that
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2023 at 06:27
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Powerslave
The Number Of The Beast
Piece Of Mind
Killers

I probably don't need anything more than that

Maybe their self-titled debut, which I always thought was better than Killers, and Somewhere In Time (one of my favorites from the band). 
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2023 at 06:36
Powerslave is THE iconic Iron Maiden album IMHO.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2023 at 10:00
Iron Maiden
Killers
Number Of The Beast
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2023 at 10:53
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Agreed. If someone came and asked what's this Iron Maiden I've heard about, I'd play them Powerslave. 

Not too long ago I gave the debut and Killers a listen after a few years and no matter how much I wanted to like them, I didn't. 
Hector Enrique View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hector Enrique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 00:15
The podium of studio albums:
Powerslave / Seventh Son of a Seventh Son / Somewhere in Time.

My favourite songs are the ones that are closest to the progressive genre, mentioned by Harris as one of the band's greatest influences:

In alphabetical order:

- Alexander the Great (Somewhere in Time): very progressive and powerful!
- Face in the Sand (Dance of Death): one of the best introductions in their discography.
- Ghost of the Navigator (Brave New World)
- Hallowed Be Thy Name (The Number of the Beast)
- Phantom of the Opera (Iron Maiden>Live After Death version) chilling initial guitars and an extraordinary development.
- Paschandale (Dance of Death)
- Powerslave (Powerslave>Live After Death version)
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner (Powerslave) after the screeching of the ghostly ship for eternal minutes, guitars explode
- Revelations (Piece of Mind>Live After Death version): the arpeggios of the guitars with Dickinson's voice, out of this world. 
- Seventh Son of the Seventh Son (SSotSS)
- The Classman (Virtual XI>Live in Rio version) unsurpassed Dickinson's interaction with the crowd 
- When the Wild Wind Blows (The Final Frontier): epic instrumental section. For now, the last great song of the heavy metal band that is closest to the progressive world.

It's impossible for me to make a shorter list...

Héctor Enrique
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 11:19
Originally posted by Hiram Hiram wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Agreed. If someone came and asked what's this Iron Maiden I've heard about, I'd play them Powerslave. 

Not too long ago I gave the debut and Killers a listen after a few years and no matter how much I wanted to like them, I didn't. 

Wrathchild remains a favorite (and killer!) Maiden tune but otherwise I agree about the first two albums. For me, they just haven't held up. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 13:33
I'm not really an Iron Maiden aficionado, but I did have a good friend who was and exposed me to various 80's IM albums. While my bedroom was covered with posters of sports cars, his was covered in Iron Maiden posters. Speaking as a layperson, I would have thought that both The Number of the Beast and Powerslave were the iconic Maiden albums.

I tried to ring the Beast once, but got a deep growly voice that informed me, "Sorry, wrong number" and then hung up. I guess I misdialed.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 15:58
Not a fan but I like their
Paschendaele epic track a lot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12