8 [6.25%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite 90s Films
    Posted: April 18 2022 at 14:12
I probably saw the most 90s films than any other decade. I will go with Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump, Dances With Wolves, Goodfellas, and Toy Story for this. 

Edited by SuperMetro - April 24 2022 at 15:43
MassiveProgressive View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MassiveProgressive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 14:37
Ghost isn't on this list :(
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 14:41
^^ You've got Children Of Heaven down twice... anyway, I've voted for 'Satantango'...

Edited by Jared - April 18 2022 at 14:42
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 14:49
There are zero options in the list that are among my absolute favourite '90s movies; which is not a surprise as most of them can be counted amongst the recondite stuff, such as: Shadow Builder (1998) and Nirvana (1997).

I picked Toy Story, The Matrix, Fight Club and Shawshank Redemption.

Edit: Thanks to Grumpy, I noticed there's "the Dude" there. Casting my vote for the best fictional guy ever!

Edited by Archisorcerus - April 18 2022 at 16:07
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 15:57
Off this list. Gump, Leboswski, Toy Story, Shawshank, Clerks, and Fargo. 
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 16:06
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Off this list. Gump, Leboswski, Toy Story, Shawshank, Clerks, and Fargo. 

Oh, there's "Big Lebowski" in the options. My perception failed probably because it doesn't have "The". Anyways, it is my absolute favourite movie of all time. I'll vote for it also. If I had seen it, I would have cast a single vote for it.

Edited by Archisorcerus - April 18 2022 at 16:07
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 16:46
Buffalo '66
Taste of Cherry
American Beauty
What Happened Was…
The Straight Story
Trainspotting
Take Care of Your Scarf, Tatiana
La Vie de Bohème
Close-Up
The Fort of Saint Washington
Riff-Raff
Raining Stones
Dance Me Outside
Naked
Bad Boy Bubby
Night On Earth
Before Sunrise
Secrets and Lies
The Match-Factory Girl
The Fifth Monkey
Office Space
Le Promessa
Good Will Hunting
Drifting Clouds
Magnolia
Marvin's Room
To Die For
Braveheart
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 17:18
Nothing from the list.

Suggestions for the next list:
Men in Black
The Hunt for Red October
Die Hard 2
Memphis Belle
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 21:39
^ Wow, I don't much like any of those (not really familiar with Memphis Belle) so I guess its not surprising that you always went "other" on my lists. I might suggest that you make your own poll. I like to see how different people approach and make polls.

Lots I love from this poll and some I really don't -- it is hit and miss for me. I found Titanic risible to be honest. Forrest Gump wasn't my thing, and Toy Story I never finished. A couple of animated films that I liked from the 90s were Princess Mononoke (watched that again last week, didn't enjoy it as much as before), and Perfect Blue.

From the poll:
Trois Couleurs : Bleu, Blanc et Rouge.

I love those films and wish I could recover the university essay that I wrote on it (it's on a floppy disc somewhere).

And I vote for the other Kieslowski: The Double Life of Veronique

Those, plus Zhang Yimou's Gong Li films made me decide to do film school in significant part. If you have not seen Red Sorghum, Ju Dou, and Raise the Red Lantern -- those last two are 90s -- then those might be worth checking out, and I like later Zhang Yimou films some with and some without Gong Li.

Also love Reservoir Dogs and Fargo (I like the TV series even more) and The Big Lebowski -- would also want to vote for Children of Heaven, LA Confidential, Buffalo 66....

Chungking Express I like, was talking to my wife about it earlier today, but my favourite Wong Kar-wai film has to be In the Mood for Love (2000 so not applicable for the poll).

And for one of a different stripe that I re-watched again not long ago, Event Horizon. In the 90s I was most into art house international cinema.

Edited by Logan - April 18 2022 at 22:01
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 23:35
voted Fargo and Goodfellas

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 00:22
I've only seen 2 of these!  Clerks was quirky so I voted it.  Also saw Jurassic Park but quite uninterested in it these days
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 07:54
Fight Club (listed twice, btw), Big Lebowski, Fargo, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction. 

Must see Goodfellas, Clerks and LA Confidential again. 
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 07:58
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

The Straight Story
Trainspotting
Take Care of Your Scarf, Tatiana
La Vie de Bohème
Bad Boy Bubby
Night On Earth
The Match-Factory Girl
Drifting Clouds

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 08:05
From the list I would pick Pulp Fiction. 
Not on the list -  Silence of the Lambs
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2022 at 08:23
Pulp Fiction from that list.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 12:59
Hi,

Looks like I saw about 20 of the films listed ... though I have to say that I do not look at films by date ... there are many older films (and newer, too!) that are still standing out as above average, and wonderful to catch each and every time.

I don't really know (sometimes) the dates, because I was catching things off the video then, and not everything was available, so I ended up also seeing older stuff and different things. The sad thing, now, is that the places where you can stream something have the worst suggestions of anything. You can't even search for foreign films in the Netchit, because it lists all of its own works along side of it, just because they have an actor from Patunirka, or equivalent, making the ability to search for something very hard. 

I once searched there for Godard films and got 250 listings ... only 7 of them were actually Godard films. Why the fudge would I even bother considering paying for that service?

Nowadays, I'm kinda throttled. I can only get what Amazon Primecrapbeef has available and it is not a bad selection, but you have to go through 500 films (many repeated!!!) just so you can find 3 or 4 films to see. This leaves me with little choice but to buy the DVD if it is used and/or cheap! 

The other sad thing is seeing so many folks from the history of cinema, marked up for you to be able to see it. It kinda bothers me some, but it also means that I won't bother, and there are many films for $3.99 that I would love to see and review, but I can't afford to get onto that line of business ... it will kill me.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 15:41
From the list Fargo, Goodfellas and Schindler's List. 

Not on the list?

The Usual Suspects
Se7en
Trainspotting
The Silence of the Lambs
Glengarry Glen Ross
The Last of the Mohicans
The Fisher King 
Rob Roy
In the Name of the Father
Miller's Crossing
Waiting for Guffman

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SuperMetro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2022 at 15:44
There, Silence of the Lambs is now here. I registered the two people who voted it here, so if you nominated it in the comments, do not click the poll. 

Edited by SuperMetro - April 24 2022 at 15:45
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 03:27
My fave out of these is either Fargo or The Big Lebowski. Voted for both.

My fave director of this decade is undoubtedly Terry Gilliam though and would have expected either 12 Monkeys , The Fisher King or Fear & Loathing in this poll.
I grew up on 90s flicks. Lots of brilliance but equally much fluff imho.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2022 at 04:35
First vote for Chungking Express. Otherwise Clerks, Big Lebowski, Veronique, Pulp Fiction. Didn't vote for Satantango as I've just voted for it in another poll, and Fargo, because this doesn't need my vote.

Not on the list: The Usual Suspects, La Vie de la Boheme, Night on Earth, American Beauty. Not listed yet: The great Danes... Festen, Europa, and more.

Edited by Lewian - April 25 2022 at 04:39
 Post Reply Post Reply