Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Personal musical tastes form in our 14th year!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJA-K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2022 at 01:38
I must have been between fourteen and sixteen when I started to listen to The Beatles, Queen and mostly to Pink Floyd. Those were my favorites.

Forty years later, The Beatles and Pink Floyd are still up there. Queen less so, though I respect them.

I don't know if specifically personal taste formed around that time. It's more that I started to listen to a wide variety of music. Equally important for me was the early nineties. The time when so many different musical genres blossomed. In my early twenties by then, I believe this period had even more impact than my teens. It was merely the foundation of my musical listening journey.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2022 at 19:14
At the age of 13/14 is when I think I started making a definite effort to build my own record collection. My dad had a big collection and I had a few Beatles, Moodies, and Floyd albums, but then I became more interested in modern pop music - so 1982-83-ish. I still have a lot of fondness for that time, and still enjoy that stuff (one big reason I enjoy Phil Genesis as much as Peter Genesis - I discovered Phil much earlier!)

The next few years involved expanding my tastes, as I was exposed to more people and music. First punk/hardcore, then Zappa/Beefheart, then prog.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2022 at 09:12
Yep, my personal music taste formed around 13-14 (concidering that i'm only 16 now...). Until then, all the music I listened to was stuff from my dad, all sorts of rock and prog that came out mainly before the 2000s. Around age 13 I started seeking for music on the internet (also found prog archives at that time).
I discovered artists like Gentle Gaint and Zappa that blew my mind, I discovered fusion, and Haken made me discover more modern prog. Porcupine tree also had a BIG influence on my taste, they made me realise I love music that focus on atmosphere, development and bulidng. 
Then, the the pandemic started and I realised that prog is not the only genre in the world, since then my music taste reallyyyy expand.   
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2022 at 20:40
The seeds were lain in the womb when my mom would play the 1812 Overture. When I was around 10, Tommy was my first album, and the White Album followed. And then ITCOTCK and Fragile. In the mid '70s I started exploring all kinds of jazz from Mingus and Art Blakey to RTF. In college I went for baroque and got deeply into classical (Elizabethan to modern). 

So basically, I have enjoyed anything with good beat that's easy to dance to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123