Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eagle Twin for Experimental/Post-Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eagle Twin for Experimental/Post-Metal
    Posted: May 07 2022 at 06:13
Formed in 2007, Eagle Twin are an American experimental metal duo from Salt Lake City, Utah. The band consists of vocalist/guitarist Gentry Densley (of Iceburn and formerly of Form of Rocket and Ascend) and drummer Tyler Smith (of Bible Black Tyrant and also Form of Rocket), with the two having previously played in Densley's free jazz project Furious Fire some years before. Eagle Twin play a style of avant-garde drone-doom blended with atmospheric sludge metal, blues, progressive rock and jazz fusion influences, with Densley's vocals owing to Tuvan throat-singing and Captain Beefheart in equal measure.

Eagle Twin made their debut with the compilation track "Heavy Hooves," which attracted the attention of Sunn O)))'s Greg Anderson, who signed them to Southern Lord in late 2008 and subsequently issued all three of their future LPs. 2009's The Unkindness of Crows, 2012's The Feather Tipped the Serpent's Scale and 2018's The Thundering Heard are loose concept albums intended as allegories of mankind's relationship to nature. With a thematic and symbolistic focus on crows and snakes, Densley describes Eagle Twin's discography as inspired by "the universality of myth" and informed by Native American folkore, Old Testament stories and poets such as Ted Hughes and Federico García Lorca.

Eagle Twin are stylistically similar to Boris, Neurosis, Orthodox, Om, Kongh, Across Tundras, Dark Castle and Shrinebuilder.

"The Unkindness of Crows" (2009)

"The Feather Tipped The Serpent's Scale" (2012)

"The Thundering Heard" (2018)
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2022 at 06:14
Delightful band whom I hope will soothe the dissonance-bruised ears of the Prog Metal team.

I'm also stunned to see Densley's former band Iceburn absent from PA! They have a Progfreak page but apparently have never been evaluated, and I could see them in Tech or Post-Metal as much as RIO/Avant.

Edited by Gordy - May 07 2022 at 06:16
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2022 at 06:57
Thank you, noted! Thumbs Up
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 01:36
added
 Post Reply Post Reply