0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
1 [6.67%]
1 [6.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Favourite Philip K. Dick Movie Adaptation
    Posted: June 01 2022 at 13:50
Multiple votes are not allowed.

I'll pick Radio Free Albemuth. How about you? 

Philip-K-Dick-Film

Edited by Archisorcerus - June 01 2022 at 13:52
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2022 at 17:03
Seen very few of these.  Total Recall '90 was embarrassing, Blade Runner a wonderful textural feast but with almost no plot.   Voted Minority Report.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2022 at 17:25
Can't help but vote for Blade Runner but Minority Report is right up there and Paycheck was pretty cool, too. 

I think Dick's stories are very difficult to transfer into the film medium, nobody's quite done it really well, but as fodder for good sci-fi, his ideas are great. 

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 04:45
Minority Report.

Also liked Paycheck and Blade Runner 2049. A few of these I haven't seen.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 05:00
Is 2049  based on a PKD novel, or is it something invented to make more money? 
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 05:07
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Is 2049  based on a PKD novel, or is it something invented to make more money? 

Well, the characters are taken from Dick's work. But I agree that it is moot to view this as an adaptation of the writer's work. Wikipedia did that, and I'm its messenger here. (Or rather, a certayne sorserer/ a falce prophet. Big smile)
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 07:11
I've seen original Total Recall, that was entertaining as far as I can remember, Blade Runner, that is more or less untouchable, and A Scanner Darkly, that's rather underrated it seems. 

Voted A Scanner Darkly as Blade Runner will get enough votes without my help. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 07:22
I haven't seen them all, so I can't vote. Stern Smile
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2022 at 07:28
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I haven't seen them all, so I can't vote. Stern Smile

Me neither. Come on, this is not serious business. Star

Edited by Archisorcerus - June 02 2022 at 07:29
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2022 at 22:28
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

Come on, this is not serious business. Star

QUOTED FOR TRUTH and not directed to any one person but to general crankiness and nitpicking. 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2022 at 02:49
Hmm, not really my lane of preferred cinema, but there are some good ones in this list. From the nine I've seen it would indeed be between Blade Runner and Minority Report. I think I go with the latter.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2022 at 18:41
Hi,

I was not lucky and when I came to America at 15, I spoke no English and I did not become aware of a lot of literature, other than the "classics" because of it. It took me 10 years to finish college/university because of English as I was dumped out of high school still not speaking English well enough to even get me a date or find out what the prom was all about!

I finally read Heinlein and Asimov when I was into my 40's some 25 to 30 years after coming to America, thus a lot of "literature" for me, was based in films. For example, I was more aware of Ray Bradbury via film than I was via his literature! Later this turned the tables into the lack of appreciation for Stephen King that I kinda consider just another Hollywood pulp writer. Although I found Anne Rice interesting and her take on the story of vampirism is a nice addon to its history, however, it was much better stated and seen in the erotic works, than in her best known novels, that could not show what she really wanted to see.

I became aware of this writer AFTER the film Blade Runner, and I don't even know that I have seen the other films at all and will look for them. But in general, what happened to BLADE RUNNER, is a once in a lifetime thing, and not likely that a film can color a writer and story any better for a while ... and I don't even find the book as good as the film was. The film had more of a story to tell in many ways, and it was beautifully illustrated by the film maker that created a world that even many science film enthusiasts appreciate.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2022 at 18:57
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I became aware of this writer AFTER the film Blade Runner, and I don't even know that I have seen the other films at all and will look for them. But in general, what happened to BLADE RUNNER, is a once in a lifetime thing, and not likely that a film can color a writer and story any better for a while ... and I don't even find the book as good as the film was. The film had more of a story to tell in many ways, and it was beautifully illustrated by the film maker that created a world that even many science film enthusiasts appreciate.

Well, this is the thing about PKD and the film adaptations of his works. PKD was very much an ideas man. Ideas poured out of him faster than he could develop them, and in a lot of cases the film adaptions are based more on the idea that is inherent in the story rather than a straight adaption. I think "A Scanner Darkly" is the only one of the films here that I've seen that adheres closely to the original source material.

My favorite work of PKD is "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch" and I would really like to see someone tackle that novel into a film.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2022 at 13:54
I've seen 8 of them...going with Blade Runner, 2049 (w hich is based on the first film only)...then Minority Report.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2022 at 14:05
none; my favorite novels by him have not been made into movies yet.

as to "Blade Runner": the movie has nothing whatever to do with the book (which originally was called "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"). I don't like the movie much; it would have been a lot better without the stupid action sequences

Edited by BaldJean - June 15 2022 at 14:12

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2022 at 07:54
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

"Blade Runner": the movie has nothing whatever to do with the book (which originally was called "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"). I don't like the movie much; it would have been a lot better without the stupid action sequences

Hi,

A bit of a harsh criticism, but in many ways it is something that is important, and specially so in film in the past 30/40 years in America, where all the hero films and stuff out of Hollywood is all about "action" ... you certainly won't bother with Tog Pun whatsoever, because it is all "action" and has ... oh well ... a little acting along the way!

America, has not been literary minded since the day that Marlon Brando screamed his famous Stella line, and then the movies thought that JD would make a far out hero, even though he is a jerk! It became about glorifying something for the show of it, and it also happened in England for example ... Lawrence Olivier was not above not raising his voice and pointing deadly fingers on stage and throw daggers around left and right ... some action in a few moments of theater!

As times change, everything seems to come into play ... but America is not a place to learn about the arts and their meaning and history ... movies have a better history here, see? ... and your comment will seem out of favor by many folks ... though within our group so many of us have seen, and enjoyed, so much foreign film and different things, that (for my tastes) it will be the day after I'm gone that I will be caught watching Tog Pun! And while fun in many ways, I even find the first film rather boring! Maybe it has to do with that church thing, and it making sure that folks see "everyday" heroes at work!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply