Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EXTREMEEE!!!!! metal vocals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2022 at 10:08
Originally posted by Stressed Cheese Stressed Cheese wrote:

It's interesting though, my mom listens to this kind of stuff, with growling vocals and blast beats (another thing I find is just white noise that distracts from the music), but she finds stuff like Zappa or ELP noise and 'nervous'. Go figure.
Your Mom sounds pretty cool. Does she know about this site? Smile

Edited by SteveG - July 07 2022 at 10:09
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Stressed Cheese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stressed Cheese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2022 at 15:27
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I doubt it...she's not really into prog. She really only listens to types of screamy metal I don't even know the genre names of.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2022 at 16:10

I doubt it...she's not really into prog. She really only listens to types of screamy metal I don't even know the genre names of.
Sounds like she's into our prog sub genre "Technical/Extreme metal".

Edited by SteveG - July 07 2022 at 16:14
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2022 at 02:24
I have no problem with extreme vocals, but sometimes when they are either performed in a generic fashion, or just don´t suit the instrumental part of the music, I´m put off...but that goes for regular clean singing too. So it all depends on the singer.

Personally some of my favorite extreme metal singers are those who are able to articulate every word while delivering a face melting growl. If they add a spoonful of aggression, I´m usually all in.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2022 at 07:35
"All extremists should be shot". 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2022 at 08:00
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2022 at 21:55
First, there are many prog metal bands that don't use extreme vocals... actually, the ones I would consider the most representative ones don't (except for Opeth). If you do like the metal element and combined with prog, but without harsh vocals, then you might check out (if you haven't yet) Dream Theater, Ayreon, Pain of Salvation, Riverside, and Haken. I myself am not a fan of harsh vocals either, though I have come to tolerate them a bit better with time. First, well, before getting into metal, prog metal... or even prog as such, I guess, I came to know Pink Floyd and the song Careful with that Axe, Eugene... first I though WTF... but soon I came to love it... But well, now for metal and harsh vocals... I guess the first I tried to know were Opeth (besides many symphonic metal bands with harsh vocals that my wife liked), mostly looking for the songs they had without harsh vocals... and most of the songs I like from them are those ones; there is only one with harsh vocals that I came to like, "The Drapery Falls", live version from Lamentations... though strange enough, it has become my favourite song from them. Then, looking for some more prog metal I came to know Devin Townsend. Now, I have come to tolerate harsh vocals on a very few songs that I like so much that I decided to just enjoy them despite those vocals (like "The Drapery Falls" that I already mentioned), but Devin Townsend is the only artist that has made me actually enjoy his harsh vocals (in some cases)... I don't know, it's just something in the way he uses them that works so well, like he really gives meaning to the grunting and the growling and the screaming.
Now, the selected songs that I do like that feature grunting are: Forever, by Macbeth; Cry for the Moon, by Epica (though there seems to be another one from their latest album that I might add to the list); The Final Victory, by Haggard; Alma Mater, by Moonspell; Seclusion, by Penumbra; Ecstatic, by Trail of Tears; Star-crossed, by Sirenia. I got to know all of these because my wife had all this albums, and I decided to give them a try, otherwise I might have never know this music. Also The Drapery Falls from Opeth, and the songs that make up an epic song on Wilderun's album Sleep at the Edge of the Earth. And from Devin Townsend the ones I have liked best are "Earth Day" and "Planet Smasher", as well as Loser from Ayreon, in which he is a guest singer.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2022 at 21:57

It's interesting though, my mom listens to this kind of stuff, with growling vocals and blast beats (another thing I find is just white noise that distracts from the music), but she finds stuff like Zappa or ELP noise and 'nervous'. Go figure.

My Wife also likes some Metal with extreme vocals (mostly symphonic metal), and when she heard some Van Der Graaf Generator that I got she really hated his vocals... specially on songs like The Sleepwalkers and La Rossa (which I think actually border grunting).
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 03:57
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

My Wife also likes some Metal with extreme vocals (mostly symphonic metal), and when she heard some Van Der Graaf Generator that I got she really hated his vocals... specially on songs like The Sleepwalkers and La Rossa (which I think actually border grunting).
VDGG also has the Peter Hammill factor that's takes hard to listen to vocals to a whole other plateau. LOL  Nice to see you Omar. Hope all's well.

Edited by SteveG - July 09 2022 at 03:58
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 04:15
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Wouldn't you say that was a little... extreme?

Care to stand against that wall sir?

Big smile 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2022 at 20:23

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

VDGG also has the Peter Hammill factor that's takes hard to listen to vocals to a whole other plateau. LOL  Nice to see you Omar. Hope all's well.

Yes I know, but if you like extreme vocals you would think Peter Hamill wouldn't be so bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12