Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd Legend in Rome with Ron Geesin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd Legend in Rome with Ron Geesin
    Posted: July 05 2022 at 04:59

August 3rd, Rome's Auditorium.
 Atom Heart Mother with choir and orchestra directed by Ron Geesin

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 09:43
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

August 3rd, Rome's Auditorium.
 Atom Heart Mother with choir and orchestra directed by Ron Geesin

Hi,

I would love to hear this ... and would gladly pay for it much faster than I would a PF concert, or a RW show.

It's sad to me that both RW and DG talk about so much of this early stuff as garbage. it is what "made them", and it's sort of like saying that your teen days were a waste ... you learned nothing from them! That is rather pathetic and sick! It's the same "person", and you are putting down a side of yourself with it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 10:00
I have found their attitude to Atom Heart Mother quite disgusting. Geesin did a magnificent job with their "doodlings". I have not liked to see them criticise their own early work, including with Syd Barrett, and it has felt really lacking in grace (I think Geesin is deserving of lots of appreciation, as well as others who worked on it, and the Barrett issue often has not been treated with grace). The Atom Heart Mother suite is my favourite thing released under the Pink Floyd name, and I too would rather see this than later Floyd.

By the way, Gilmour has still cashed in on AHM later as I recall playing it despite his earlier dismissal of the work. I have wondered if they were so dismissive of it because it so much a Geesin work (of course Waters collaborated with him on Music From the Body which i like more than Waters "solo" work). Pink Floyd had some ego issues (half of them, anyway), and understandably, I think, Geesin wanted to get more recognition from people generally for AHM (which is kind of egotistical too, but I think understandable).

I way prefer Pink Floyd's early period to later period. I love so much of the early Floyd albums and material (pre Dark Side).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 15:05
For me, this recording (and era) of Pink Floyd sums up everything that i love about the band; the quirkyness, the pastoral eccentricity, the warm stoned sunny summer afternoon vibe that 1969-1971 Floyd gave off. I wouldn't go quite as far as saying it was all downhill from there but this is the era where my heart isHeart

Thursday 16 July, 1970
BBC Paris Cinema, Lower Regent Street, London

Pink Floyd recorded a live audience show for BBC Radio One. The final track ‘Atom Heart Mother’ was named from a newspaper prior to the broadcast, a bit of an improvement on its previous title ‘The Amazing Pudding.’ It was performed with the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble and the John Aldiss Choir. The band followed this performance with the headlining spot at the Hyde Park Free Concert two days later. This BBC show was broadcast on Sunday 19 July, 1970 at 4:00pm on 'the Peel Sunday Concert' and repeated three days later on the 'Sounds of the Seventies' programme.

1. John Peel intro
2. The Embryo (10:23)
3. John Peel
4. Fat Old Sun (5:29)
5. John Peel
6. Green is the Colour >> Careful with that Axe, Eugene (11:22)
7. John Peel
8. If (4:55)
9. John Peel
10. Atom Heart Mother (26:23)

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2023 at 20:02
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I way prefer Pink Floyd's early period to later period. I love so much of the early Floyd albums and material (pre Dark Side).

Hi,

And this is the main reason why all the early bootlegs were so precious ... the different touches here and there make it far out.

I don't dislike the later stuff, but when DSOTM was done, it was "mechanical" as were all the shows after that since they had to coordinate so much and so many things at the same time, which took away the previous freedom and touch they had. The bootlegs from the later periods from DSOTM are crap by comparison, although the Anaheim Concert (complete in 3 LP's) is far out and special when you hear RW go crazy over the kids fighting for the pieces of the pig!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2023 at 04:08
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I have found their attitude to Atom Heart Mother quite disgusting. Geesin did a magnificent job with their "doodlings". I have not liked to see them criticise their own early work, including with Syd Barrett, and it has felt really lacking in grace (I think Geesin is deserving of lots of appreciation, as well as others who worked on it, and the Barrett issue often has not been treated with grace). The Atom Heart Mother suite is my favourite thing released under the Pink Floyd name, and I too would rather see this than later Floyd.

By the way, Gilmour has still cashed in on AHM later as I recall playing it despite his earlier dismissal of the work. I have wondered if they were so dismissive of it because it so much a Geesin work (of course Waters collaborated with him on Music From the Body which i like more than Waters "solo" work). Pink Floyd had some ego issues (half of them, anyway), and understandably, I think, Geesin wanted to get more recognition from people generally for AHM (which is kind of egotistical too, but I think understandable).

From what U remember it's mostly Gilmour who detested AHM (the whole album) and dismissed it as a piece of drugged-out hippie junk, which shows that he could run his mouth afoul much earlier than Waters managed. 
Waters went on to continue with Geesin for Music For The Body, which stands as his first solo album, so ocbviously he didn't feel the same about Geesin's works. 

For Pedro

Edited by Sean Trane - September 18 2023 at 04:10
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2023 at 05:22
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

...From what U remember it's mostly Gilmour who detested AHM (the whole album) and dismissed it as a piece of drugged-out hippie junk, which shows that he could run his mouth afoul much earlier than Waters managed. 
Waters went on to continue with Geesin for Music For The Body, which stands as his first solo album, so obviously he didn't feel the same about Geesin's works. 

For Pedro

Hi,

So well done and really beautiful. I find it cynical and sick that DG doesn't like it and in the Hipgnosis special he actually puts down the cover for the album ... that was so far out and cool ... I actually bought the album for the cover, to find it to be excellent.

Leave it to the French to have the guts and the beauty to make music become real music, instead of just a stupid and silly love song!

BTW ... didn't even know this was on the tube ... I would love to have a DVD of it, but I'm not sure the fudgetarts would allow it!

Edited by moshkito - October 05 2023 at 05:24
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply