Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YouTubers Who Hate New Music?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YouTubers Who Hate New Music?
    Posted: August 07 2022 at 17:19
I don't care to hear about "There's some good music, you just have to look hard" -- no thanks.. I want someone who thinks the 60/70s are the best, and doesn't mind sh*tting on EVERYTHING modern. It seems like most want to reach for anything newer so people think they're open-minded.

Someone posted this video, and it was pretty good, but would like to see more, and with more bite/anger.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 02:45
A few truths, but a very opiniated dude - maybe too much for his own sake.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 06:45
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

A few truths, but a very opiniated dude - maybe too much for his own sake.

I've only seen one video, but I want even more brutal :)

But, I like opinionated people in general - the more radical, the better. I've already heard the "measured" people. Plenty.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 09:41
Seems like he is trying to follow in Rick Beato's footsteps. Rick posts videos discussing the same topic, albeit not as radical.
It's pretty easy to understand why some new music, mainly pop, does have a heavy stench.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 10:26
Well, Beato does not just dislike or hate in the sake of hate, he somtimes wears hes producer ears and finds sometimes redeamable qualities in all ages of music, even in pap and autotune, prosessed music. but i also like some well thought out critique but also not just sole hate.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 11:23
This must be one of the most viewed nitwit videos on this subject on the internet:

And here's one that deconstructs the one above...

People who dismiss modern music (or modern cinema, for that matter, what you have done before) because it is modern either display their ignorance regarding modern music (or cinema) and/or have an exaggerated and worrying attachment to the past and/or are willfully putting blinders on regarding modern music (or cinema). In my opinion, these people suffer from a pathological kind of nostalgia that can only lead to intolerance and/or extremism.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 11:40
I'm not sure if this is a "boomer" thing or not but it does seem to me that certain people of slightly older generations (I'm no spring chicken myself) tend to think that most or all new or newer music sucks without digging a little deeper. I think anyone who does some research into more than just pop stuff will see that's not true. I myself used to think that but I came to my senses. After all, not all good prog is from the 70s right?
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 12:11
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm not sure if this is a "boomer" thing or not but it does seem to me that certain people of slightly older generations (I'm no spring chicken myself) tend to think that most or all new or newer music sucks without digging a little deeper. I think anyone who does some research into more than just pop stuff will see that's not true. I myself used to think that but I came to my senses. After all, not all good prog is from the 70s right?
I'm here to tell you, whipper-snapper, I'm a boomer and like music of today as much, or more, as the music I grew up with. Don't stereotype me.

Maybe you meant to say this is a "PA" thing?
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 12:58
Why would you want to seek out someone just to tell you what you already agree with? :/

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 14:42

I was born in the 80s. To make a long story short, I can either keep searching for that needle in the haystack of new music or peruse something from the 60/70s at a decent success rate. I can only devote so much time to finding songs I haven't heard yet, and like to shuffle my 5,500 songs, and usually listening to the songs I've just "discovered" because I get sick of hearing the same songs over and over, which is why I try to expand, and I have, with jazz, especially, and prog of course. In the last few years, I've been in the mood for women singing, especially prog, and I found a ton of 70s stuff, right from here. Someone created a post about great songs by women, so I would go one by one, and paid attention to what I liked. I really doubt music fans - especially those who'd join message boards - depriving themselves of pleasure.. I'll add that besides the quality of the song, I do care about engineering/production, which is probably why I wanted to hear women sing -- I've heard so many guys sing already. It's the same with movies -- I want something different, so a movie centered around a woman is more appealing to me, because it's something different. Like the Norwegian movie, "Blind". It's funny, because all my other movie fan friends haven't seen this, or any of the new movies I like.

I've actually spent quite a bit of time just listening to random newer songs on here or other sites, and have been easier to penetrate with new music, because I want that feeling of excitement of a band's 2nd album, or to see them (or an artist) perform at their peak.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 17:24
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I'm here to tell you, whipper-snapper, I'm a boomer and like music of today as much, or more, as the music I grew up with. Don't stereotype me.

Maybe you meant to say this is a "PA" thing?

I think you misunderstood my intention of using the term boomer. I wasn't using it in the perjorative way (that's why it's in quotes). What I meant by that was that boomer is a term used by younger folks to make those older than them seem like the "get off my lawn" people or "I remember when it was a nickle." In other words the kind of people who complain about the younger generation. I'm generation x so I'm not young either even though I don't quite qualify as a boomer. Regardless I wasn't using the term because I feel that way but more because I thought maybe the kiddies might see it that way. I suppose I probably should have said it a different and better way. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. 
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2022 at 18:00

I remember when I had to trek 50 miles in the snow to hear music. Then it meant something to 'cause it's the journey, not the destination.

Nowadays there's no challenge. Music is so easy to get to that the whole thing becomes a bit boring and tiresome but it's not the musics fault. It's all about taking it in and spitting it out just to keep up and make room for more.

Sometimes I just feel stuffed and there's no room for more and sometimes I just get lost in mixed metaphors.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 04:36
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 04:48
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

I remember when I had to trek 50 miles in the snow to hear music. Then it meant something to 'cause it's the journey, not the destination.

Nowadays there's no challenge. Music is so easy to get to that the whole thing becomes a bit boring and tiresome but it's not the musics fault. It's all about taking it in and spitting it out just to keep up and make room for more.

Sometimes I just feel stuffed and there's no room for more and sometimes I just get lost in mixed metaphors.

LOLLOLLOL You win the award for best comment! ClapClapClap
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2022 at 04:51
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

LOLClapThumbs Up
it's funny 'cos it's true. 
 Post Reply Post Reply