Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help! What genre is my band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2022 at 07:38
Originally posted by popeyethecat popeyethecat wrote:

Unfortunately I don't think I can look to how older bands "made it", because the industry has fundamentally changed - nowadays you have to "know your audience".

Hi,

Not being in a band, I have to admit that it might be different for me as a writer, although I am published and listed in the National Library of Canada, I have to admit, that in many ways that was a side effect of the poetry and work I did.

I don't like to say that you have to know or limit your audience, the main reason why being that if you are so far and away an original that no one can copy or know how to do, none of those "groups" will exactly appreciate or understand your work, and your ability gets dropped into the tank even more.

Originally posted by popeyethecat popeyethecat wrote:

Currently our audience is friends and family and maybe 3 people who saw us in a pub once and liked it LOL When Yes did CTTE they had a big record label and management backing them and they could offload the marketing tasks to others. 

I am not convinced, or sure, that any band that was ever managed in those days by a label did not have something special, or peculiar to their ability, which is what got them there in the first place. Later in the late 70's, it became about the copy, and the next copy and the next copy, and everyone forgot what music was about in the first place, and the "hit" now replaced the love for the music itself ... today, even PA lives by its "Top 5" and listings, and in one thread a year ago or so, I complained ... at least 25 of the "top 100" were repeat listings with a different album, and that means that at least 24 other bands were totally ignored by many folks that supposedly "voted" for so much of this crap! Several folks amended their listings immediately, so they agreed with me, you could say ... it's about the music, not your favorites!!!

All it tells you is that you are convinced that putting things within a certain area is going to help you get more attention ... and maybe what you might want to do is just do what Steven Wilson did ... he ignored that label thing and sold cassettes of an imaginary band he created in his garage, by himself!!!! Guess what ... everyone bit all of a sudden and many hats and dressed folks showed up at his door in the next couple of years!

The marketing is an "illusion" that lasts for a while ... and the only truth worth listening to, is the one you create and live by ... that has the ability to help you get somewhere without being told what to do, or how to do it, so it can sell a bit more.

You have to believe in your work and its fruition ... and above all, yourself ... not an imaginary audience that "tomorrow" is going to tell you that they are not this or that anymore and lost their feeling!

You have to have some respect for the audience, but you have to let them go. As we say in theater, if you do 100 shows ... not one audience will be the same as any other! And if that does not teach you anything, you are in the wrong business!

Edited by moshkito - September 05 2022 at 13:21
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
EasternWind View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasternWind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2023 at 15:08
Im just here to say I really like this music!! Listening to the song "Souvenir" on spotify now, love it!
popeyethecat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popeyethecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2023 at 02:46
Originally posted by EasternWind EasternWind wrote:

Im just here to say I really like this music!! Listening to the song "Souvenir" on spotify now, love it!

Thanks so much! Yes our new album is out now. Still struggling for words to describe it, still finding it hard to market, but it's gained a bit more traction than our older stuff at the very least.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2023 at 03:54
I've given a quick listen to the first track. The first impression reminds me to the artists of the Irish label "Deserted Village" like "United Bible Studies" or the other projects involving David Colohan and Gavin Prior.

Here on PA they are classified as prog-folk, but it's quite stretched. 
Anyway, who cares about how a band is labeled? Your music is good and that's what matters

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 06:28
Hi,

The title track for that album (the long cut) is fantastic ... I listened to it about 4 times to give you an idea!

Some nice and far out stuff ... lovely. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Joel Julian Music View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel Julian Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2023 at 09:40
Just listened to your track "Crumbs + Crumbs" and loved it. Reminds me a bit of Ester Drang - do you know them? "Come Back Alive" is a good example, or "Goldenwest", for a contrast. Prog doesn't immediately leap to mind (based on your track), more indie/art rock. Completely relate to the difficulty in pitching genre though. It can be really tricky finding the right buzzwords. 

Anywho, great sound. Will listen to the whole album when I have a moment. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12