Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If you like Tangerine Dream...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you like Tangerine Dream...
    Posted: December 25 2022 at 08:03
Dear all,

One year ago was launched the James Web Spatial Telescope into space, seeking for far exoplanets. After years of reviewing Tangerine Dream albums, as an astronomy fan, beginner composer and guitar apprentice, I gave myself a little challenge: write a progressive electronic space rock epic piece of 20 minutes describing the journey to an habitable exoplanet, with various sections, each one corresponding to a different aventure during the space trip. Here it is at least, as my Christmas present for you :-).

Although, of course, TD and other electronic progressive works I'm fond of are inspirations, I also tried to put my own ideas and approach in. This is my most ambitious composition until now, I hope you will take as much pleasure during listening as I have during creating it Big smile. The finale illustrates the arrival on the exoplanet.

Hope you'll like it, I think electronic / space rock fans will. Good listening Smile

PS: This is the first part of what will be my first album. The second part will describe the new life on the exoplanet...

Edited by Modrigue - December 25 2022 at 10:35
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2022 at 09:15
Hi,

This is a very different view of things, and in no way is it a reflection of what you are saying or what you believe your music to be.

It's weird to me, that someone says they are influenced by one or another ... in my 40 years of writing poems, short stories and a lot of other things, I could never tell you a single person or work that was an influence, in a direct sort of way ... I suppose, and some have suggested it, that subconsciously something or other may show up, but NOT A SINGLE PERSON out there, has EVER, shown anything of the like and explained their ideas or thoughts. 

To me, being such a visionary person, it is all about keeping up with the "movie" in my head, and I have no idea where the movie is going and how it's going to turn out, since I TRUST the process and where it seems to be going, which I have never tried to change or intercept ... it doesn't work ... you have to let it flow through on its own!

Now, Tangerine Dream for me, since the very early days, has been about THE VISION. There is no more "movie like" music out there (Vangelis is the exception! Maybe even Sakamoto) than what Tangerine Dream created, and if I was going to say something like they influenced me, I would make sure that my composition would follow their visualization ... not necessarily add the rock portion when you feel your keyboards are running dry (how commercial rock music that is!!!!!) Your chops have dried up!))

The wierd, strange and odd side of things is ... I have never felt out of sorts with anything I wrote when done (I only fix the language not anything else), and not liked it in some way or another. And this is the side of our selves that is more comfortable with "knowing" what we are doing (we like to think so anyway!), than it is comfortable to admit that ... I don't know! It's what I felt that second and there it is. This is the major clue from all the "creators" in the history of the arts ... a lot of what they do has almost no connection to anything that you know or have seen, and that is the value of the "experience" for me.

Compare this to my younger sister, a painter that has had an insane number of shows across Europe and kinda has retired from the gring, to paint for herself, and screw the arts community. her style is something I can not do ... she starts on something, and stays on some parts of it for days ... and a DAW afford you this ability to change and update and add/subtract, but for me, which I do not dislike her work, it has magnificent sides and moments, it's like ... not nature ... not natural, and not "alive" ... because you and I know that things change every second ... 
and a mere repetition is not the clue as to how you "create" something, although some folks think that having the ability to "replay it" from the "dream" is important ... IT IS NOT. THE IMPORTANT PART is you having the ability to see it, enough times, that you automatically learn how to express it. And not have to worry about "replaying it" since you now know it will be different each time and place, but it will be "there".

Your piece of music is lovely, and very enjoyable, although this is not the kind of things that I live for in music, I much prefer the "krautrock" style, of never knowing where things are going, and you (find out later!!!), it doesn't matter where you take it! Thus, NEVER having a "hint" of what is to come in the music is always important for me, so there is always a "surprise" to take you in. But commercial music doesn't want this ... it wants things they recognize and have heard before and are familiar with ... and this is not what Tangerine Dream was EVER about, until the day that Edgar Froese left us, when the stooges in place did not really know the difference. They had the metalic and mechanical ability, but no vision for the music, except the changing of a knob to make the music go here and there. There is no movie in any of it ... and the later album (Traum) is better in this aspect, but you can see that the "vision" is long gone, some 6 or 7 years later ... and will never come back of be found ... the folks involved are not into the vision, they are into the sound!

MASSIVE DIFFERENCE.

If you can see that, you will probably create something more interesting, to me, and hopefully others. Your piece is very nice, heck, I'm on the 3rd listen right now as i write this, however, the "movie" is missing ... the visual that you added tries to add to it, but it is nebulous and empty ... in space ... (how I propos!), and music, for almost everyone, can not be nebulous and "empty".

Thanks for the nice piece. Hopefully some other folks can also appreciate it, although for my tastes, it has too much of everybody else ... where is "you"? 

Good luck ... lovely stuff.

Edited by moshkito - December 25 2022 at 09:17
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2024 at 07:40
Thanks for the detailed critical review and for the listen!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2024 at 11:17
Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

Thanks for the detailed critical review and for the listen!

Hi,

Thx ... although it was not exactly a review as much as it was how I "see things" for a poem, for example. It is a "living moment" within your seeing, and you don't stop it ... you let it flow.

I know this is difficult for a musician, and it was also difficult explaining it for my sister (for example), but the essence of music history, the way I see it was more of a reaction to what happened before that one did not want to redo, and this kinda became the motto for "progressive" and "experimental" stuff out there some 60 years ago.

But, I was able to "flow" with your piece of music, although interpreting it would be a bit on the hard side, since for me, the attraction almost always is ... when I can not find words for it ... a sign that there is something out there to be seen. And for this is is far out, since it always catches my attention ... amd keeps me from my (too many!) comments about conventional music and formats.

I'm checking out the other stuff of yours ... I'll see if I can get a few words in ... 

Edited by moshkito - January 21 2024 at 11:18
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply