Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Prog Archives Starter Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2023 at 09:45
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

An ideal prog starter kit for Christmas.

CD 1

1. Curved Air - Vivaldi - 14:04
2. Caravan - For Richard - 13:04
3. Barclay James Harvest - Mockingbird - 7:26
4. Rick Wakeman - Journey to the Centre of the Earth - 18:22
5. Family - The Weaver's Answer - 4:48
6. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Take a Pebble - 6:42
7. John Wetton - Red - 6:26

CD 2

1. Barclay James Harvest - Poor Man's Moody Blues - 7:10
2. John Wetton - Starless - 9:46
3. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Barbarian - 5:06
4. Focus - House of the King - 2:41
5. Van der Graaf Generator - Theme One - 4:03
6. Focus - Hocus Pocus Medley - 13:31
7. Karnataka - Heaven Can Wait - 4:50
8. Mostly Autumn - Mother Nature - 13:13
9. Nektar - Damnation Valley - 9:00
I think that would make for a terrible introduction. Looks like they included whatever they randomly were able to get a hold of/or could afford. I wouldn't consider any of these really - although I like some of the songs. John Wetton doing Red and Starless as an introduction? That's no good. Besides I found this (at discogs):

...most (if not all?) of these tracks sound like live performances, but there's nothing in the material to indicate that, nor when or where they were recorded...

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2023 at 10:12
^ I have that 2-CD Prog History in my collection, so maybe it's only an ideal prog starter kit for me and no one else here. I have several Prog-Rock compilations, but A History of Progressive Rock still remains my overall favourite, partly because it includes many of the longer prog epics, but also because there's a Mostly Autumn song included too. Tongue

By the way, I prefer John Wetton's alternative versions of the two King Crimson songs. Embarrassed
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2023 at 02:45
1. Genesis - Foxtrot (quintessential prog)
2. Yes - Fragile (in my opinion, the best starting point for Yes as it's more accessible than what came later and it also displays the individual band members' talent well)
3. King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (this was the impetus for the progressive movement)
4. Rush - Hemispheres (encapsulates the heavier side of prog)
5. Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (great if you're looking for virtuosity)
6. Gentle Giant - Octopus (perhaps there are better starting points for Gentle Giant, as this album took me quite some time to fully understand, nevertheless it's essential prog)
7. Frank Zappa - Hot Rats (encapsulates the fusion side of prog)
8. Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff (though I prefer Pawn Hearts, I think this is a better starting point for VDGG)
9. Supertramp - Crime of the Century (encapsulates the accessible side of prog)
10. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (need I say more?)
11. Marillion - Misplaced Childhood (essential neo-prog)
12. Kate Bush - Hounds of Love (best starting point for Kate Bush, in my opinion, as it captures the perfect balance between accessibility and experimentation)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678