Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your 3 favorite keyboard solos?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2023 at 18:21
Too many to try to account! I mean, Tony Banks alone has dozens! 

I abstain.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 01:11
As for favorites, I seemingly don't have a mind that register them as such very often. But the keyboard playing through Curved Air - Young Mother and (now that I'm checking) the solo part that starts after about 3 minutes is one of the most musically memorable ones I can think of. In fact all of Francis Monkman's playing on the three first Curved Air albums hits me in a special way.

All of Mike Ratledge's playing on Out-Bloody-Rageous on Soft Machine's Third is pure magic to my ears.  He's mostly carries the composition creating underlaying, themes, atmosphere and soundscapes (which is what I love about him). But there's a definitive solo from about 6:00 and last for several minutes.

-A little randomly the ones that popped into my mind perhaps, but there must be a reason they appeared.

My favorite keyboard performance ever caught on tape and seen (on youtube) is by Irmin Schmidt. Whenever Can decided to go Jazz Rock fusion, it was full of fire. I love the studio version of Vernal Equinox from the (slightly) overlooked or underappreciated Landed too:

Eternal Unity View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eternal Unity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 08:47
Jordan Rudess - Dream Theater - keyboard solo in budokan, April 26th, 2004.
Adagio - Children of the Dead Lake
Time Requiem - Optical Illusion
telefunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telefunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 10:34
The solo on "A Day at the Dog Races" by Little Feat of course!
telefunk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote telefunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 10:37
Snarky Puppy "Lingus, We Like it Here" live of course. A killer solo
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 13:09
Supertramp - School
The Doors - Riders On The Storm
Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond

I think :)
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2023 at 21:01
Originally posted by telefunk telefunk wrote:

Snarky Puppy "Lingus, We Like it Here" live of course. A killer solo
This is probably one of the best improvised solos ever to be recorded. If any of you have not listened to this track, your life is worse off because of it. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2023 at 00:31
....I always laugh when the OP asks for "3 of your favorite?" and PA members put down 6, or 9, or more!!  

THREE!!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2023 at 00:38
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

....I always laugh when the OP asks for "3 of your favorite?" and PA members put down 6, or 9, or more!!  

THREE!!  
Everyone knows that, but very few really cares. Most OP's would rather have "a wrong reply" over no reply. I know I would. I think most of us who replies with ten favorites instead of three or whatever does so because selecting only three is impossible.
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2023 at 11:36
The word solo isnīt out of place in the technicality of a concerto at all. A Concerto is the combination of couplet and ritornell sections. The whole idea of the concerto is the well mannered musical exponation of one instrument, the whole rest of the orchestra just serves these returning sections of a specific instrument (in the case of tarkus the synthesizer) taking the lead interest and also showing off the possibilities of that specific instrument. Only because it is highlighted doesnīt make it any disconnected at all and still have the "sole" most important role. Being the centre of attention.

Btw my favourite solos for keyboard are:

CTTE around 14 minutes (squire creates such incredible spaces for wakeman that he can just totally go nuts and fly.)
nearly everything Fariselli did
Probably something from Minnear.. But I am going for Playing The Game solo (subtle mastery)
Vdgg Darkness keyboard solo in the middle. (though its very different)
Mad Man Moon (if you wanna call that a solo)

Edited by GrafHaarschnitt - April 06 2023 at 18:20
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2023 at 15:34
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2023 at 18:42
1. Arena - Riding the Tide
2. IQ - The Seventh House
3. Genesis - The Cinema Show

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123