Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is there a specific term for this type of vocals?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is there a specific term for this type of vocals?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2023 at 11:30
I always thought that much of the female 'vocal' in outfits like Hatfield and National Health were based on Jazz 'Scat' singing though nowhere near as pronounced as, say, Cleo Lane..

Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2023 at 19:37
Originally posted by graysnk2 graysnk2 wrote:

Hey all,

There's this certain type of vocals in certain progressive songs that I really like, but have trouble concisely putting into words, and can best be explained with examples. Wondering if there is a term for this style or at least some more specific adjectives to describe it than I can think of!

National Health -Brujo ~2:40
Throughout Hatfield and the North's Debut(ex Son of Theres No Place Like Homerton, ~5:05)
A Formal Horse's vocals as well I guess.

The angelic, high to low to high notes, usually female, almost chanting, almost operatic... I lack the musical knowledge to describe it. Anyone know if this is a 'thing'? Or can describe what is happening musically/melodically/harmonically that these examples have in common? Any song recs for me based on these?

In "Brujo" what Amanda Parsons is singing sounds like it was written out as opposed to her improvising off the cuff. Various sections of her singing accommodate Dave Stewart's signature lines. The chord progression which sounds off at the beginning of the song are a grouping of chords that are melodic yet create dissonance simultaneously. The written idea transforms into visionary possibilities because it is creative.

It's no different than how a painting can make one feel. It's a dreamy piece even though it sounds a bit gymnastic towards the end. The style of singing projects Jazz and Classical combined..which is a style more commonly found in musicals , plays, and certain aspects to National Health music does in fact contain the essence of theater composition.

Zappa as well on many of his albums. 200 Motels was written for a play...a film..yet several of his albums which are not intended to be have the same style. It's a fun style to experiment with.

It has a certain characteristic to it. It's surfaced through Pop Music with artists like Laura Nyro and 10CC. The Beach Boys Smile contains some odd vocal phrasing using tri tone interval and coming across like dark chanting and having remarkable similarities to The Residents.

This style of singing has the essence of Broadway which at times can be corny..."Brujo" has the essence of Broadway style singing, but it's being turned into something else. Something more progressive. I do not know if there is a term for the style.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2023 at 01:33
Mmm let’s see what else we’d have to figure out a name for afterwards lol.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2023 at 03:24
I wouldn't link the Zappa thing with the Hatfield & Health moments.

Zappa was the king of studio tinkering

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Maybe I'm not musically qualified enough but I don't see that there would be a particular term for this. The Zappa clip sounds like it might have another voice that's speeded up. The National Health one sounds pretty high but isn't it just a wordless female vocal?

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I don't think there's a specific term for this type of singing, and have no clue what to call it, if I'm to pick a name for it. I guess is an artistic way of expressing, to provide a particular experience.

I'd say "scatting" (scat vocals)

EDIT: I see Cosmiclawnmower answered first.

Edited by Sean Trane - April 09 2023 at 03:25
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2023 at 08:08
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Considering these are female vocals, falsetto is not the right term, as it refers to the head voice in males. 

Females can have falsetto as well but I'm pretty sure the singer in A Formal Horse doesn't use it.
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2023 at 08:29
How do you describe Robert Plant? Winey? Weeny? Or John Fogerty and Lynyrd Sknyrd Free Bird. That's good music right? I mean...that's the kind of vocal style that dominates South Jersey so it must be good right? I mean has there ever been anyone else that good? Did we all pass the test of a redneck mentality in New Jersey social environment? Ok...moving rapidly right ✅️ along
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2023 at 21:02

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Considering these are female vocals, falsetto is not the right term, as it refers to the head voice in males. 

Females can have falsetto as well but I'm pretty sure the singer in A Formal Horse doesn't use it.
Technically yes, but it's usually simply referred to as "head voice." But I suppose you're right.
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2023 at 01:37
I'm not that knowledgeable on vocal terms (even though I used to be a singer, albeit amateur), yet falsetto and head voice are not the same thing. Head voice is a more powerful or richer vocal thing than falsetto. I can differentiate them while listening.

As I hear, the parts that the OP mentions are, or are closer to falsetto, at least some of them. I said some of them, as both these modes normally refer to the upper registers and some of these parts are sung in the mid registers.

There are so many singing terms. So, I'm not exactly sure about this. There could be some other specific terms for these.
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2023 at 03:36
I've recorded something to exemplify falsetto and head voice. I hope that can be helpful.

https://vocaroo.com/1hHPvIWdpgsG
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2023 at 07:06
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

How do you describe Robert Plant? Winey? Weeny? Or John Fogerty and Lynyrd Sknyrd Free Bird. That's good music right? I mean...that's the kind of vocal style that dominates South Jersey so it must be good right? I mean has there ever been anyone else that good? Did we all pass the test of a redneck mentality in New Jersey social environment? ...

Hi,

I think that "individuality" in a lot of rock music is what it is about, except all the copykat bands that now and then claim their music to be "progressive", of course, by stretching the term, so it is no longer really possible to discuss the music itself.

About Robert Plant ... my girlfriend in college, was an avid LZ fan, and she always said that the music and the singing was "sexual" which is very clear on stage when you see it, but something that us ... men!!! ... do not think much of because we're not the ones up there on the stage doing it! Or have the balls to try it! LZ, still sells today and is played because of this sub-text to a great extent, and it is one rock band that a lot of women like, in an area that is clearly marked by men and boys! And the women singers (of course) is for all the women, and men? Where are they?

I would think, that it is a very unhealthy side of the rock music world ... because there are just as many excellent women on stage as there are men, for various different reasons ... and while one could say they are "valid" the hard part is determining what each person meant by it ... my ex-girlfriend was adamant about the sexual detail, and explained it rather well ... like she knew what she was talking about ... but around here do we really have that, or are we just guys making up ideas and terms that are not important of valuable ... and the distinction between this and that ... oh my ... let me die first!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
graysnk2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graysnk2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2023 at 09:34

Maybe I'm not musically qualified enough but I don't see that there would be a particular term for this. The Zappa clip sounds like it might have another voice that's speeded up. The National Health one sounds pretty high but isn't it just a wordless female vocal?

The female vocal sounds altered to you? Obviously Greggory Peccary lines are but, the female vocals at that spot too?

Edited by graysnk2 - April 10 2023 at 09:35
marcobrusa View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcobrusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2023 at 13:12
Hi! I think there's no particular term for that. You might just like high pitch vocals. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QznvbzxBQ4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12