Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

La théorie des cordes Third Album

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MathieuTORRES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: La théorie des cordes Third Album
    Posted: May 01 2023 at 07:40
Hello I am pleased to share with you the new digital album of the french progressive band La théorie des cordes "4U 9525"
Available almost everywhere starting today
Bandcamp link: https://matzizrecords.bandcamp.com/album/4u-9525 
Link to Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/6tmsF8Vnt4oJbxQD3op103?si=3OVA1ro7TLCoElQ0z1ODQQ 
Unique link to streaming platforms (coming soon)

"4U 9525" released on April 21, 2023 is the third album by LA THEORIE DES CORDES.
This entity had been dormant since 2015. It was during the process of creating "4U 9525", that Mathieu TORRES and Stéphanie ARTAUD, saw as obvious that the 9 pieces that make up this set offered a rebirth to La théorie des cordes. The musicians have set themselves a perimeter, not too limited, in order to benefit from a comfortable space of freedom. It was on a full moon evening, at the beginning of August 2022, that the creation took place in the studio La Mercery, perched above the hills of Mirepoix, with a view of the Monts d'Olmes.

Why "4U 9525"? Because it is the registration of the A320 plane of the company Garmanwings which crashed on March 24, 2015, causing 150 victims, passengers and crew included, by the fact of the co-pilot Andreas Lubitz who wanted to commit suicide.
The investigation determined that he was undergoing psychiatric monitoring but that the company was unaware of the seriousness of his condition.
The final flight took off from Barcelona to Düsseldorf (the company's home airport) but was rushed to the ground in the French Alps. There were no survivors.

How to understand the pieces created, improvised and performed by LA THEORIE DES CORDES?
This is Lubitz's "diary", with the stops that marked him and inspired him with emotions, a feeling, a color, a state...
YYC (Calgary in Canada) “Blanc de Calgary ”. Calm, light, padded, peaceful. The introductory piece, rather jazzy, is in Ionian mode.
HKG (Hong Kong China) “Cancer d'été” leaves a lot of room for imagination. How did he feel about this step? To set it to music, the wind mode was chosen. It's soft, fine while being catchy with a talkative guitar that takes the room.
LAX (Los Angeles) “La mort du Boudhiste”. Myxolidian. Very different. Heavier and more mysterious. This piece opposes the “cool” side, always conveyed by this megalopolis and the social violence that reigns there.
ALP (ALEP) “Le colosse d'Anatolie” is introspective (Phrygian mode) because it is a land of history, the cradle of a civilization.
CDG (Paris Charles De Gaulle) "Need For Speed" is more rhythmic, syncopated, very sustained by the drums. (Dorian). I feel a form of urgency, even effervescence.
??? Les lois de l'attraction” or abstraction? The aircraft is in flight. More unstructured, daring, with great instrumental freedom, this short track challenges. Premise of mode to come.
DBA (DUBAI) “Les Grands Hôtels” or the dread of being within its immense impersonal hotel establishments, of being forced to cross a maze of endless corridors, ultra design, which seem hopelessly empty. (altered mode, tone by tone)
BCN (Barcelona) “Terminale envolée”. Gentle take-off (the last) bathed in a mysterious climate. (Lydien) A complexification develops, carried by the stretching guitar notes...
DUS (Dusseldorf) "Il ne restera rien" A kind of sadness, desolation, with tinkling scattered notes, asymmetrical percussion and guitar lines - total counterpoint to the violence of the crash - which end the piece, close the album.

This short description is only made up of references. Everyone, from the code and the title, must give free rein to their imagination to interpret the pieces, then the album, in their own way. The feeling will be different for everyone and can even vary for the same listener, depending on the moment or the state of mind. La théorie des cordes opens up a magnificent travel diary for us, which stimulates the intellect while flattering our appetite, with these variations of modes of composition and a fine, free, precise execution, generating varied climates. The nine pieces have been improvised, it is now up to the listener to prolong the experience with all chakras open ! "
Many thanks to Alain (Plus prog de vous) for the presentation text

Stéphanie ARTAUD: piano and prologue
Mathieu TORRES: bass and electric guitar
Hugo LEMERCIER: mandolin and acoustic guitar
Heiva ARNAL: drums
Recording, mixing and mastering at La Mercerie studio in Mirepoix by Hugo LEMERCIER.
Released April 21, distributed by Luminol Records.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 08:01
Salut MatthieuWink

Voici l'album ajouté dans notre DB

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=80804
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
MathieuTORRES View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MathieuTORRES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 08:04
Ahh super nouvelle merci beaucoup :D 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2023 at 08:59
Listening to it now (currently in DBA)... and discovering... Wonderful! Vous déchirez! Will also explore your previous efforts...
Will there be a release on CD (or LP, for that matter) of this? I very much like the tangible thingies.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MathieuTORRES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 01:37
Thanks a lot, we really appreciate this feedbacks :D
For this release we don't play gigs with this band for now and we don't have enough money to auto-produce it as a CD or vinyl but maybe one day ? I'll notice it here if it's the case.
We have 2 other records CD "Premières vibrations" (2011) and "Singes électriques" (2013) both are available in physical CD.
Impatient to have your thoughts on it ^^

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 03:24
Originally posted by MathieuTORRES MathieuTORRES wrote:

For this release we don't play gigs with this band for now and we don't have enough money to auto-produce it as a CD or vinyl but maybe one day ? I'll notice it here if it's the case.
We have 2 other records CD "Premières vibrations" (2011) and "Singes électriques" (2013) both are available in physical CD.

Yes, I was thinking about that (the first two albums), but indeed a physical release of this third album would be good

BTW, pressing CDs is much cheaper (and quicker - no waiting list), and also cheaper to sell (easier to convince potential buyers to invest)... and cost less money to pack & ship wthout damage upon arrival.

Mais tu sais déjà tout cela, plus que probablement. Wink

Edited by Sean Trane - May 02 2023 at 03:25
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 06:20
Originally posted by MathieuTORRES MathieuTORRES wrote:

Very good! And I got the hint, so I ordered the two CDs. Wink
Also bought the digital album of your third album, hoping this will contribute to a physical release of it, sooner or later...

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MathieuTORRES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 06:32
Thanks a lot for your contribution, it helps a lot and it's a big pleasure to feel some enthousiasme arround LTDC,  i'll send you the 2 CD as soon as i can, tomorrow morning possibly, Monday morning will be my later option.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 07:18
My pleasure, but no need to hurry (I will only find it on Thursday). And Monday is a holiday here, as you may have forgotten... Tongue

I do like Premières vibrations, but it is especially Singes électriques that is quite exceptional to my ears. There is a very good and descriptive review here on PA for those who want to read more into it.
4U​-​9525 is easily up to it. Regarding the power and the groove (not necessarily the style) it makes me think a bit of the Bozzio, Levin, Stevens outings. Love the piano and guitar interplay and the great groove of bass and drums top it off. Well done - the thanks have to go to you!

Edited by suitkees - May 05 2023 at 07:19

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MathieuTORRES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 02:00
I've sent you the album Saturday morning, it should effectively arrived Thursday ^^

Yes the review on Singes electriques was really extremely exiting for us !!
Really proud you like this sound and thanks again 
to refine your return here, the references are more than great :D
We hope to do it again this summer for a new opus ^^
Anyway good reception see you soon
 Post Reply Post Reply