Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seasons End deluxe edition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seasons End deluxe edition
    Posted: May 08 2023 at 17:05
Marillion's first album with Hogarth (1989). Scheduled for 19 May 2023.

Details: https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/marillion-seasons-end-deluxe-edition/
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 19:12
2 days after my birthday so I may be tempted. I do think its a bit underrated generally.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 20:47
I don't know what to think about this trend of changing the cover art. Anyway, The King Of Sunset Town, and The Space have been favorites of mine for years, so it's a good album IMO, and now it's coming with a full live version in the second CD.
EduTatsumi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EduTatsumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2023 at 09:14
My favorite Marillion album Heart
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2023 at 09:31
Originally posted by EduTatsumi EduTatsumi wrote:

Really? Interesting. Smile
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2023 at 06:10
Not a big Marillion fan, but this album I like a lot.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2023 at 06:45
Haven't they already brought out a series of 'Deluxe' reissues of all these early albums?

It's fine for those who really love the album and band I suppose, but it does have the whiff of squeezing the last nostalgic £ out of 50 and 60 somethings who have the disposable income and no real idea of what to do with it?

I completely understand buying the remasters with bonus tracks of any band, but after that, don't you think your hard earned should be put to use expanding your repertoire a bit, rather than re-hashing old ground for the third or fourth time?

(no doubt, I'm about to get shot down in flames any moment... Embarrassed)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2023 at 06:50
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Haven't they already brought out a series of 'Deluxe' reissues of all these early albums?

It's fine for those who really love the album and band I suppose, but it does have the whiff of squeezing the last nostalgic £ out of 50 and 60 somethings who have the disposable income and no real idea of what to do with it?

I completely understand buying the remasters with bonus tracks of any band, but after that, don't you think your hard earned should be put to use expanding your repertoire a bit, rather than re-hashing old ground for the third or fourth time?

(no doubt, I'm about to get shot down in flames any moment... Embarrassed)

it was not deluxe, but a remastered series, from debut to Afraid of Sunlight. Nice series, i own a few. The second disc on those have demos & alternate takes. 

The deluxe version have live recordings which are interesting, Marillion is a great live band. So I don't think it's a cash grab. 

Also "expending their repertoire"?! - they have released like 20 albums. How much expending do they need? LOL
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2023 at 06:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Also "expending their repertoire"?! - they have released like 20 albums. How much expending do they need? LOL

I wasn't referring to the band you 'nana! I was referring to the average 50-60 year old listener who prefers to buy multiple editions of the same album, than buy and become introduced to either new, contemporary music or more obscure stuff from the 70's that they might not know? Big smile

I mean, rather than buying something like this, they could support 4 or 5 struggling new artists with the same money, by purchasing their latest albums on Bandcamp?

Your other points however are well made and well taken... Wink

Edited by Jared - May 10 2023 at 06:58
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2023 at 07:00
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I wasn't referring to the band you 'nana! I was referring to the average 50-60 year old listener who prefers to buy multiple editions of the same album, than buy and become introduced to either new, contemporary music or more obscure stuff from the 70's that they might not know? Big smile

my bad EmbarrassedSmile
progmanjum View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progmanjum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2023 at 16:31
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by EduTatsumi EduTatsumi wrote:

Really? Interesting. Smile

One of my top three...with Hogarth
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 07:53
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

2 days after my birthday so I may be tempted. I do think its a bit underrated generally.
Not by me!
I think it's the band's finest album, with or without Fish. I have the 180g vinyl pressing, which sounds wonderful.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2023 at 02:31
A superb album indeed! Smile
fathomer1963 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fathomer1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2023 at 16:54
No shooting down in flames, just a possible alternative. I've bought a few of these Marillion boxsets now, not for the CD's (they won't be played - unless they contain new live material) but for the blu ray's. For me the 5.1 and Atmos mixes are the only reason, along with the often very interesting blurb, for buying them. Hence I prefer Alan Parsons approach. He's released 'the full monty' versions (CD's, vinyl, blu ray) then, after the boxset runs have ended, the blu ray on its own - and at seriously competitive prices.

ReMasters are very much of a muchness. There is only a finite amount of change you can make during Re-Mastering (and post production a good 80% of them are messed up by the record company insisting on their engineers compressing them to death..), whereas with the 5.1, and usually the hires stereo, these have actually been remixed. This means going back to the multitracks and starting again. It doesn't always work for everyone, but tbh for me the results can be revelatory.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2023 at 07:46
^ yep I know what you mean re the Blu Ray. I purchased the deluxe of Fugazi and the Blu Ray is just the best sound I've heard of anything. I now really want similar for all their classic releases but I just can't afford it sadly.
 Post Reply Post Reply