Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgEnStock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi
    Posted: June 09 2023 at 07:27
Hi, I'm 33 and I was born with Kraftwerk. During my childhood I grew up with classic prog like Genesis, Yes, Emerson lake and palmer. ( My parents make me listen a lot of  Stereolab ). When I was 22, I discover Billy Cobham, Frank Zappa and George Duke. After I become a Tangrine Dream fan and I got analog synth.  I'm keyboard player and guitarist.

Since one year ago I listen more than 40 hours of vintage prog by week. Only Vintage, I don't surf on Neo Prog or Prog Metal but I like Spastik Ink. In music, I prefer the Germans because they dont do cheezy stuff. With this website i have discover Area that is probably my favourite band with Genesis. I listen Canterbury Prog, symphonic prog, eclectic prog, Krautrock, prog electronics, Avant-Garde, fusion and Zeul. I really like german jazz like Volker Kreigel. As I'm a french speaker from Montreal, i also like quebec prog (for me Sloche is more my taste than Harmonium) I also like coldwave/punk/new wave/industrial music, but i prefer prog rock. As i really like the 70s and the 80s, i dont really like the 90s and the 2000s : I like vintage keyboard. My favourite style is organ-driven prog rock (from Deep Purple to Eloy)
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 13:42
Welcome! There are worse indoctrinations to undergo during childhood regarding music... Wink

I guess you know Saga? What do you think of them?

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 14:46
And Canada scores another victory !
More organ driven prog rock fans (it's ELP for me) from the motherland helps me feel not so alone in the vast ether of PA. Wink

Welcome aboard.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
ProgEnStock View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgEnStock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 15:59
Thank you!

I Dont know Saga, but I was seeking it in the archives recently. What is the best album to start?

And I grew up with ELP also.. If i say Yes and Genesis, ELP comes with the package.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 16:21
^ Regarding Saga, I would start with their first five albums in chronological order. If you don't have the time, try maybe first Silent Knight. After that, try Generation 13. If none of these appeal, then you can let them go...

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 16:23
Arzachel and Atomic Rooster’s Death Walks Behind You are a couple I would check out’ if you don’t know them already, sooner than Saga if I were you. If I was wrong please tell me straight.

I also prefer Sloche to Harmonium and I for one would love to force my kids to listen to Stereolab.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 16:31
And, regarding organ-driven, try Focus (start with Focus II, Focus 3, Hamburger Concerto...)!

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 17:08
Originally posted by ProgEnStock ProgEnStock wrote:

Thank you!

I Dont know Saga, but I was seeking it in the archives recently. What is the best album to start?

And I grew up with ELP also.. If i say Yes and Genesis, ELP comes with the package.
Try Saga - In Transit. All their hits and a great live performance not mention excellent sound quality.

As for ELP...Rockin' the Big O !!!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 17:09
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

And, regarding organ-driven, try Focus (start with Focus II, Focus 3, Hamburger Concerto...)!
I vote Focus ll (aka Moving Waves)

Edited by JD - June 09 2023 at 17:10
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2023 at 17:12
And if you like organ in general give the band Niacin a listen. Prog fusion.
ProgEnStock View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgEnStock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2023 at 18:53
As you can see I'm not a noob. I will do a post on organ-driven prog rock i have list as i know well this category, but i'm also well in electric piano jazz rock band.

I already know Niacin, Atomic Rooster and Focus. Really good bands!

What i think of Saga: It's prog new wave band so it can fit with my musical universe that include prog rock and new wave.

thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply