FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hipgnosis movie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hipgnosis movie
    Posted: July 08 2023 at 07:16
Movie trailer for those interested

freed View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2023 at 07:07
Apart from the movie, there was just a few months ago an exhibition with Hipgnosis' Aubrey Powell in Groningen (the Netherlands). Lots of eponymous designs and background information. https://www.groningermuseum.nl/en/art/exhibitions/hipgnosis  Also a few Dutch bands like the already named Kayak, but also Solution (Cordon Bleu) and Golden Earring (To the Hilt).
expand y-our mind, expand y-our world at planetwork.org
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2023 at 12:06
Hi,

I sure hope that SUNDANCE gets this thing a wide release so more of us can see it ... to me, specially in the early days, Hipgnosis was the place to find the far out and totally different bands and artists ... and sure enough, you got Kevyn Ayers, Roy Harper, Edgar Broughton Band ... just for starters and later in the European editions there were a lot no nice things coming in with Kayak, Eloy (1st album!), Uno, Tanned Leather, Cherubin ... and probably others I have not listed ... they were still "out there" and had great material and covers.

Toughest things on many of these, and I have not (for example) even been able to see the DAMO SUZUKI film, either ... and it hurts ... we never learn something about THE ART that it was all about, and how it came about. the older I get the less I find any covers that do not seem to matter, or match!

Edited by moshkito - July 08 2023 at 07:10
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2023 at 05:19
Animals is still my favourite, can't see that changing.

I think that the cataloging thing could be tricky. Storm Thorgerson for instance has done a lot of album artwork (including several for Muse), can we assume it's all licenced through Hipgnosis?
Dark Ness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2023 at 15:20
I'd like to see their cover art properly referenced on every album of our database (a few already are), wouldn't you?
Dark Ness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2023 at 15:17
Read this interview with Corbijn

They found ways to do the impossible’: Hipgnosis, the designers who changed the record sleeve for ever

in anticipation of his movie about the work of Hipgnosis / Storm Thorvenson.
 Post Reply Post Reply