Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gilmour dies 1973 - who will follow him

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2023 at 03:47
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

If David died in 1973, DSOTM would still have featured his guitar because it was recorded between May of 1972 and February 1973. I hate to be a pain in the ass, but it is what it is. 

Having said that, if David had died in 1971 (DSOTM was first performed live in early 1972), I think any guitarist the band might have added would have changed the band's sound rather significantly. DSOTM, if it had materialized without David, would be guitar-wise different and compositionally different. 

The next thing to consider is who was available in 1971? This I cannot answer without a lot of research. But since this thread isn't really that serious, I'm going to assume the universe fell out of sync and in order for it to be balanced, Jimi Hendrix never died and David took his place. Hendrix joined PF in the summer of 1971. If anyone wants to take this timeline further, you're more than welcome to speculate at your leisure.

But you forget that Hendrix, Emerson, Lake and Palmer were formed in early 1971. Hendrix's solo on Battlefield shakes the world but in addition to the benchmark setting prog suite of Tarkus there is that amazing jass fusion track on Side Two. The album then stays in the charts for 10 years and is widely acclaimed as the greatest rock album ever.

Indeed. I stand corrected. I should have had some of Pete Frame's rock family trees in front of me before deciding on Hendrix. It was a complex time. I like that the order you gave the new band name presents itself as the acronym HELP.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2023 at 09:04

If David died in 1973, DSOTM would still have featured his guitar because it was recorded between May of 1972 and February 1973. I hate to be a pain in the ass, but it is what it is. 

Having said that, if David had died in 1971 (DSOTM was first performed live in early 1972), I think any guitarist the band might have added would have changed the band's sound rather significantly. DSOTM, if it had materialized without David, would be guitar-wise different and compositionally different. 

The next thing to consider is who was available in 1971? This I cannot answer without a lot of research. But since this thread isn't really that serious, I'm going to assume the universe fell out of sync and in order for it to be balanced, Jimi Hendrix never died and David took his place. Hendrix joined PF in the summer of 1971. If anyone wants to take this timeline further, you're more than welcome to speculate at your leisure.

But you forget that Hendrix, Emerson, Lake and Palmer were formed in early 1971. Hendrix's solo on Battlefield shakes the world but in addition to the benchmark setting prog suite of Tarkus there is that amazing jass fusion track on Side Two. The album then stays in the charts for 10 years and is widely acclaimed as the greatest rock album ever.

Indeed. I stand corrected. I should have had some of Pete Frame's rock family trees in front of me before deciding on Hendrix. It was a complex time. I like that the order you gave the new band name presents itself as the acronym HELP.

it was oft reported as 'HELP' back when ELP first got together that Hendrix had been asked (for real) but declined the offer. However as I understand it ,Emerson and Lake approached Hendrix's management and were given short thrift. Emerson was quite keen on Mitch Mitchell as a drummer so wanted him as well. Once Palmer got involved it stopped being a real possibility, at least at that time in early 1970. However I've often mused that it could have happened a bit later as Hendrix was apparently getting ready to do 'progressive rock' before his sad and untimely passing.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2023 at 09:47
Hard to replace Gilmour.....such a unique talent and guitarist,  but if that had happened they would have probably turned into Roger Waters solo albums.

Wink

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2023 at 13:02

it was oft reported as 'HELP' back when ELP first got together that Hendrix had been asked (for real) but declined the offer. However as I understand it ,Emerson and Lake approached Hendrix's management and were given short thrift. Emerson was quite keen on Mitch Mitchell as a drummer so wanted him as well. Once Palmer got involved it stopped being a real possibility, at least at that time in early 1970. However I've often mused that it could have happened a bit later as Hendrix was apparently getting ready to do 'progressive rock' before his sad and untimely passing.

Here's something interesting to think about:

Who would have been lead vocalist: Jimi or Greg?
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2023 at 14:08
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

I would guess Greg... Jimi seemed self-conscious about his voice. But, he could do some nice falsetto. I thought he had the right voice for his thing - unique.

I heard about this decades ago, but never could even imagine it in my head. Then again, I just heard Jim Guercio say how Jimi Hendrix wanted to record an album with the band Chicago. "Let me produce them, man" was another quote from their producer/manager.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2023 at 07:24
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Whoever had the biggest ego so Greg Lake I presume Wink
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2023 at 09:33
Don Felder I suppose could work. Or Jeff Beck.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2023 at 11:13
There's an unsettling Butterfly Effect to this game: If Phil Manzanera replaces Gilmour, how would Roxy Music have evolved without their signature guitarist? If it's Andy Latimer, does Camel cease to exist before recording their first album? What other unintended consequences would there be..?
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12