Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Khepri for Experimental/Post Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Khepri for Experimental/Post Metal
    Posted: July 15 2023 at 15:20
Bio: Khepri is a British one-man Oriental Metal artist and multi-instrumentalist based out of Plymouth. Both a composer and a producer, Khepri combines Alternative and Progressive Metal with Middle Eastern and North African influences and Arabic modality into a largely instrumental context. His visual and aural themes often revolve around ancient Egyptian mythology. In this regard, he may be compared to other oriental metal acts such as Myrath and Akhenaten, as well as lesser known Dark Delirium. Comparisons may also be drawn to both Tool and Obsidian Tide due to Khepri's grunge-influenced heavy rock foundations.

Advocating music theory, as he studied classical music, Khepri had previously gained a lot of experience composing music for small indie games. He was also involved in several gothic metal and rock bands before releasing albums under the name "Khepri," which has influenced the sound of this project. His use of synthesizers and other atmospheric instruments lends the music some gothic overtones; however, while his earlier work often featured vocals and took a more straightforward gothic metal approach, his newer material focusses more on the exotic oriental elements, and strips away much of the gothic influence, in favor of more niche instrumental oriental metal and rock.

I'm aware this is a short bio, but he doesn't seem to have any information from which to draw from. No website or social media. Just Youtube descriptions.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCzPUoyQvBXmo3rw5N2h_hCw
http://open.spotify.com/artist/53ZzJzQbnJTqO96TnKDZWc

I got some bio information here: http://europeanmetalchannel.blogspot.com/2014/04/in-2003-khepri-began-performing-in.html?m=1

Edited by bardberic - July 30 2023 at 14:12
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2023 at 00:11
You should update the biography to at least mention his name (Colin Barker), and it would be helpful to list some artists of stylistic similarity for curious new fans.
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2023 at 18:30
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

You should update the biography to at least mention his name (Colin Barker), and it would be helpful to list some artists of stylistic similarity for curious new fans.

Okay. I had no idea what his name were - from where did you get this information?

Honestly there really isn't anything super similar (asude from Dark Delirium from Morocco, who are not on this site). Melechesh in their Epigenesis phase implements the middle eastern melodies and instrumentation very similarly, and has a similar guitar tone, but I don't believe Melechesh is on this site, and Melechesh is black metal while Khepri is more Alternative Metal. I guess IGNEA and Myrath would be the closest ones, stylistically, from this site if you're only looking at the middle eastern elements. From a riff and progression point of view, Tool and Obsidian Tide aren't too far off, I suppose, but comparing these two bands to Khepri is stretch. Edit: Yes Melechesh and Akhenaten, despite being extreme metal are the closest bands I can think of to Khepri, despite him not being extreme metal.

Please look at Duat and BellyMetal 2, first.

Edited by bardberic - July 16 2023 at 18:44
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2023 at 03:47
I just saw you updated your post. Everything was revealed through Rateyourmusic.com.

Along with his name, place of operation (Plymouth) and a series of comparative artists of your choice, those details would make for a more complete and acceptable biography.

I'll send him to the team. Protocol used to dictate we don't review and evaluate artists without physical media, but a number of groups have slipped by as of late, some even approved by the author of that stipulation.

Edited by Gordy - July 20 2023 at 03:47
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2023 at 19:59
Khepri is cleared for addition. If you make those edits to your bio I'll proceed asap.

Here's an example from last.fm: "Khepri is a musician, composer and producer. He plays many instruments from electric and acoustic guitars to keyboard to more exotic instruments such as sitar. He's a strong advocate of music theory and history as he discovered it drastically expanded his skill and musical palette.

Khepri's musical style is a fusion of gothic metal and grunge induced rock bathed in a sea of middle eastern and north african influences. Sounding similar to that of oriental metal and rock bands such as Myrath, Al Qaynah, Beyond East, Hazerfan and Saracens."
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2023 at 18:12
@bardberic: Any update on the bio? We're trying to proceed with the addition, but this is the last roadblock before doing so
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2023 at 13:06
I'm sorry. I'm struggling with some things right now in my personal life. I won't be doing any band suggestions for a while, as I just don't have the energy at the moment to do the research necessary for the additions.

I'll copy and paste the bio Gordy gave me, although I don't agree with the gothic metal and grunge part, but I can't put too much time into this anymore. I apologize. It will be a while before I'll be able to engage in these posts again. Again some things have come up.
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2023 at 13:16
Regarding the bane "Colin Barker," In going to exclude that still from the bio. RYM is not known, from experience, to be exceptionally accurate and I've found that their users tend to be rather presumptuous. I did my research and can't find anywhere that Khepri outright stated his band is Colin Barker. The only clue I get is that the streaming services say "copyright Colin Barker" on them, which just means this guy is the copyright holder of the music. While it's likely he is the musician, I don't feel it's right to include his name without further proof, especially if he's never come up and said it.
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2023 at 14:12
I updated the bio. What you gave as an example was taken from last.fm
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2023 at 19:17
Thanks for making the changes.

Khepri added.
 Post Reply Post Reply