Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great Poll Questions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Poll Questions?
    Posted: July 31 2023 at 11:51
For a general audience. Looking to take the best ones and conduct surveys. It would be great to compare them with another audience, too, but for now, a great question would do.

Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2023 at 16:12
HI,

Not sure what you are asking. More ideas for polls?

I have about two or three coming and going in my head that are related to film, and my reviews, since I do maintain a spreadsheet with all the information which is also in the reviews (which I'm cleaning up and will be finished in another couple of weeks!).

But, the issue, for me, is making sure they are strong right from the start ... I didn't mind the War Films thread, but it hurt inside, me being a child of WW2 as I'm sure others were child of ... another something or other, though none of the folks writing seem to say anything to that effect. 

What was difficult, is that the stuff I grew up with in film, was all about the politics and the results of another war that destroyed everything. You can easily see this in European films, and sometimes this is the reason why some stuff doesn't go too well with me ... and I don't look to watch these much. But seeing it through the eyes of a Kurosawa, makes it different for me, but still ... seeing the family falling apart and completely destroyed ... guess what happened in Europe, and what so many films and stories were about until the mid 50's when theater in England, France, America and the new literature of the times started changing the whole atmosphere.

I came across one ... rock musicians that did soundtracks, and after 5 or 6 of them ... it was over, sort of ... as the material listed was so esoteric and difficult that no one will ever see it, or find it.

The other one I wanted to discuss was the tough one, that folks here don't like to talk about ... see the film "Tonight We All Love In London", and then realize that members of Soft Machine were all in a house owned by Kevin Ayers and that there were movie folks and literatii going through the house all the time ... and then we can wonder about Julie Christie and Brian Eno having gotten together ... for which he wrote a beautiful song (Julie With), which really said he really liked her. But the Burroughs links goes even further and ends up in NY, but Ginsberg also there in London?

It makes you realize that these folks are more into the arts than we really believe or understand ... we just seem to think of it all as just another song, and for many of these people, IT WASN'T just another song, it was their life! And it might have been clearer in film, theater a lot more than rock music, that for some reason can not admit that it is just another art right next to all the others ... heck, even David Bowie was into acting and many forms of theater ... but all we can talk about is his hits and songs?

Polls, kinda require a certain let go, and for me, it is sort of "all or nothing" kind of thing, otherwise it has not enough meanings to make it a worthwhile study and spread on a board.

Just ... speaking .... not even sure if any of this helps.

Edited by moshkito - July 31 2023 at 16:14
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2023 at 17:13
The question is is "Great Poll Questions" a great poll question?
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2023 at 17:23
North or South.
 Post Reply Post Reply