Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Monstrous Carbuncles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2023 at 08:38
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ It looks like a giant slug. Tongue

That's what I thought too. It's actually really neat looking. It makes me want to surround it with statues of pickles. The only problem is it doesn't seem to fit well with its surroundings. Having said that, I imagine over time buildings that are unique like this become an expensive maintenance problem as the structural parts probably need to be specially made by the one or two people on the whole planet that know how to make them.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2023 at 09:27
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

^ It looks like a giant slug. Tongue

That's what I thought too. It's actually really neat looking. It makes me want to surround it with statues of pickles. The only problem is it doesn't seem to fit well with its surroundings. Having said that, I imagine over time buildings that are unique like this become an expensive maintenance problem as the structural parts probably need to be specially made by the one or two people on the whole planet that know how to make them.
I'm guessing the local residents must have been in a pickle too after having a giant silver gherkin built on their doorstep. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 10 2023 at 09:27
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2023 at 09:46
Gateshead/Newcastle also has this on the doorstep! LOL

Angel Of The North, Gateshead – Making – Antony Gormley

Edited by Octopus II - November 10 2023 at 09:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2023 at 10:02
^ The Angel of the North is looking a bit tarnished now that it's starting to go rusty.Smile
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2023 at 10:12
The poor residents of Gateshead have had it tough. This statue is just across the road from the demolished multi storey car park.  LOL

Sports Day, West Street, Gateshead © Andrew Curtis :: Geograph Britain and  Ireland
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2023 at 10:29
^ Is it the Buddha of Suburbia? I must admit, Gateshead is one of the last places I'd expect to find a giant Buddhist statue blocking the pavement. Tongue
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2023 at 12:49

King Charles III once described the proposed modern extension to the National Gallery in London's Trafalgar Square as "looking like a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much-loved friend." He also went on to say, "at least when the Luftwaffe knocked down our buildings, they didn't replace them with anything more offensive than rubble." Tongue

The Royal National Theatre on London's South Bank gets my "monstrous carbuncle" vote, as it looks more like a nuclear power station than London's grand theatre. Thumbs Down

Royal National Theatre, London:- Artist's impression....

Artist's impression of the architect.....

Awfull
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2023 at 12:50
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Royal National Theatre, London:- Artist's impression....

Who was the architect? Albert Speer?

I guess it looks better from the inside. Tongue

Lol
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2023 at 12:52

^ That's funny, because my first thought was the towerblock resembles a rocket, and I expect it came as a blessed relief to nearby residents of Gateshead/Newcastle when "The Rocket" was finally blasted into oblivion. Smile

As Lloyd Grossman used to say in every episode of Through the Keyhole, I wonder who lives in a place like this!??

Alice in Legoland
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2023 at 12:55
Solpol. This structure in Wrocław, Dolnośląskie. What an architectural nightmare!

It was recently demolished tho.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2023 at 13:07
^ That pink Polish edifice is actually not that bad compared to some of the monstrous carbuncles I've seen so far in Gateshead, Tyne & Wear. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2023 at 13:15
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Solpol. This structure in Wrocław, Dolnośląskie. What an architectural nightmare!

It was recently demolished tho.

arsh*tectural
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2023 at 08:35
Monstrous Carbuncle sounds like a good band name

Or a really bad band name LOL
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 09:30
It's worth bearing in mind that San Francisco is in an earthquake zone before buying a house there. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12