Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Legs on Wheels (UK) for Eclectic Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lumenko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lumenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Legs on Wheels (UK) for Eclectic Prog
    Posted: December 06 2023 at 16:04
Legs on Wheels is a five-piece progressive rock band that hails from Manchester, England. The members are:
Danny Murgatroyd: vocals, guitar,
Alex Crumbie: guitar, vocals, percussion
George Roberts: organ, synthesiser, piano, vocals, tambourine
Dean Stoloff: bass
Ged Hawksworth: drums, percussion

They released their first EP, "Iguana Salad," in 2018 as a 'name your price' release on Bandcamp. Also, an EP called "Idelia" was released in 2021.
This year, the Legs on Wheels released an LP or CD called "L E G R O O M." Seadna McPhail engineered and mixed the album at Airtight Studios in Manchester, while Cicely Balston mastered it at AIR Studios in London.
Here are the links:

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2023 at 16:25
Svetonio, this looks promising, but please review the artist submission guidelines here: https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122381
Lumenko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lumenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2023 at 17:00
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

Svetonio, this looks promising, but please review the artist submission guidelines here: https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122381
Firstly, I have my nickname, and that is Lumenko. Thank you. Secondly, with all due respect, could you please point out what my suggestion is missing if you link me back to the artist submission guidelines that I reviewed before posting this?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2023 at 18:38
We need a bio for the band.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Lumenko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lumenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2023 at 19:12
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

We need a bio for the band.
I don't have their biography, if by biography you mean information like how they met, how they got into music, how they decided to start a band, and other such details, simply because I couldn't find anything like that on their pages; just that they are a real band that is touring in England and there are past concert dates. I'm sorry if I wasted your time, if that's the case. 

Edited by Lumenko - December 06 2023 at 19:25
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2023 at 21:11
Legs on Wheels is a Manchester-based five-piece playing a blend of prog, psych, punk, pop and more which was born when singer/guitarist/flutist Danny "Hondo" Murgatroyd wanted some people to join him and play some songs he had written and recorded at home. At that time, he was living in Macclesfield, so the Internet seemed the best way to look for talent, and he placed an advert on the 'Join My Band' website. The advert eventually produced three fifths of the band.

Legs on Wheels had started out as a solo bedroom project in 2017, but despite successfully recruiting the additional musicians necessary to turn the project into a real band during 2019, the Covid-19 pandemic initially prevented the band from gaining any real traction. The music video for 'Milktop Mandy' was filmed in the absolute nadir of lockdown, which was a real challenge for the band, requiring much editing but also providing plenty of room for creativity.

The pandemic meant working from a distance with producer Steve Sahota on the band's first EP 'Idelia', which took a lot longer to complete than they had hoped. The lockdowns also encouraged the band to get to grips with a lot more of the administrative/promotional side of things, which was quite daunting at first.

There's a broad range of musical interest across the band members, but they all share a love of progressive rock. The songwriting takes a scoop from the classic 60s and 70s UK prog bands (Genesis, King Crimson, Gong, Jethro Tull, etc.) in as much as the band try to ignore - or at least play around with - the accepted conventions of songwriting, and there are sprinklings of lots of other styles too, such as World music, jazz, soul, punk and funk. The intention has always been to carve out their own little space within what is already regarded by the band as a pretty small niche.

A wealth of material built up during the pandemic, and the band were able to finally begin touring as a unit and performing in front of an audience in October 2021, with their first full length LP 'Legroom' being released as a limited edition CD or 12" vinyl, and also digitally, in April 2023. The debut album represents an expansion of the band's unique sound, being a heady mix of psychedelic pop, punk, prog, jazz, and more. With more space to breathe and experiment, the album packs in far more richness and diversity than could be expected from just five tracks.

Nutty band if ever there was one lol!
Lumenko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lumenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2023 at 00:16
^^ Thank you. Pretty much a 'Canterbury'-like aesthetic, yet not a banal imitation.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2024 at 10:30
Just listening to this album and I like it. Wondering if it has any erm 'legs' for being included in PA?
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 10:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Just listening to this album and I like it. Wondering if it has any erm 'legs' for being included in PA?

Just added.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 10:21
Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply