Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Headstone (US) for Heavy or Psych

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headstone (US) for Heavy or Psych
    Posted: December 18 2023 at 09:16
One album and two singles in 74 (disbanded in 78)

Barry Flynn (lead vocals, bass), 
Tom Applegate (Hammond organ), 
Bruce Flynn (guitar, backing vocals), 
David Flynn (drums, backing vocals)

Track list:
A1 Still Looking7:29
A2 I Like It7:49
A3 Misery4:09
B1 Those Days5:44
B2 Peace of Mind5:00
B3 Springtime4:10
B4 I Love You5:02

Edited by Sean Trane - December 18 2023 at 09:18
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2023 at 09:42
I hear elements of GRAND FUNK RAILROAD, SPENCER DAVIS BAND/TRAFFIC, DEEP PURPLE, THE DOORS, THREE DOG NIGHT, and BLIND FAITH in this music. Advanced blues-rock: solid instrumental performances from all. The drumming and rhythmic pacing and chord progressions used, however, just don't sound "progressive" enough to be full admits to PA--except as a "Prog-Related" contributor. 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 03:58
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I hear elements of GRAND FUNK RAILROAD, SPENCER DAVIS BAND/TRAFFIC, DEEP PURPLE, THE DOORS, THREE DOG NIGHT, and BLIND FAITH in this music. Advanced blues-rock: solid instrumental performances from all. The drumming and rhythmic pacing and chord progressions used, however, just don't sound "progressive" enough to be full admits to PA--except as a "Prog-Related" contributor. 

Fair enough, but has the rest of the team heard it?
I also hear much Uraih Heep in there.
These guys were not certainly not precurssors though.
Their album from 74 sounds like it could've been recorded it 71 

Related is complicated introduction (as in lengthy), but worth it, IMHO.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 05:23
Hi,

Not sure that this fits as a "progressive" band, though we all can agree that there is some nice stuff in that album, but it does not have a touch of the special stuff that was around in 1974 that was being played that we consider "progressive". 

If anything, this is nice stuff, but way too conventional for my tastes, even though it is a nice listen and enjoyable, however, trying to consider them to PA ... in my book ... feels like that other website ... that wants to make sure they have twice as much as PA so they can go around wearing skirts that say ... "Progressive" in it! I, sometimes think they need a t-shirt that says "regressive", and continue destroying what progressive means, though it is rather difficult when some folks think that it simply makes a band this or that because of one lick, or one chord change.

Progressive can "change" ... but, hopefully it is still meant to be full, and with material that is more important than just a song, and a meaningless album. 

Everyone has the right to do an album, but getting it defined as something or other is another story. Most bands these days that consider themselves "prog" or "progressive" are not quite such at all ... specially when it all sounds the same and it's all formulaic, and more related to a song format, than something that is considered "progressive".
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply