Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List Your New Discoveries for 2023

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List Your New Discoveries for 2023
    Posted: December 31 2023 at 22:44
So here it is: New Year's Eve. Time for reflection on the past year, part of which is, of course, music!

Please list any new artists and/or albums that you discovered in 2023 that you really loved and had not heard before (not necessarily produced/begun in 2023, but your list can included those albums/artists).  Try to keep it mainly Prog, but list non-prog artists as well. Feel free to make any comments on WHY the artist impressed you.

Here's mine:
  • Mouth - cool modern Krautrock/psychadelic band from Germany that I love.
  • Papangu (album: Holoceno) -- SO, Magma-influenced Metal exists! Some great sounds, and I'm looking forward to whatever this Brazilian band does in the future.
  • Album: Vigesimus by Cast.  Wow! Definitely the best thing I've heard from this band. Sounds like they really have reached a pinnacle with this brilliant album, and I'm a bit surprised that it didn't make more of the collaborators' top lists in 2021.
  • Diagonal (album: 4) - So, I realized I didn't have enough newer music--particularly albums from the 2020's; so I did some listening: this was one of the best I found. 
  • Crack the Sky - 70's U.S. Prog band that I had not heard before. Listened to some samples of their earlier stuff and was impressed.
  • Il Volo - (album: Essere O Non Essere) Just listened to this again today: Great Italian, mostly instrumental prog from the 70's: (obviously very jazz-inspired, but not Jazz-rock, necessarily).
  • Amarok, by Mike Oldfield. I've been rounding out my Oldfield collection, and found this to be his quirkiest--great stuff!
  • ...and, speaking of Oldfield, I really enjoyed hearing Sally Oldfield's semi-epic: Song of the Quendi.
  • Kenso II. There's a lot of great Japanese Prog going back many years. This 1982 release is a great example of it.
  • Dominion, by Zopp. I fess, I'm a bit of a lagger when it comes to hearing brand new albums (usually wait a couple years). This was an exception--I loved the original Zopp album and just had to give this a spin upon release. No disappointment!  Just as good, or perhaps better than the original.
  • Finally, I recently listened to Bigger on the Inside, by Rachel Flowers (having heard some of her previous work).  I like the fact that this album rocks a bit more than Listen!, and I find her music/style overall refreshing.
And I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of right now, maybe post some more in the coming days.

Edited by zwordser - December 31 2023 at 22:56
Z
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 22:49
I haven't heard most of these (though I have heard of them). Amarok is my favorite Oldfield album. The story behind it makes it better
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 22:59
Yep, I've heard part of the story behind Amarok. Super interesting!

So what new stuff did you hear this year?
Z
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 23:01
Too many to name...

I only really got into prog late last year so... pretty much everything
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
 Post Reply Post Reply