Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jean-Yves Labat for Progressive Electronic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jean-Yves Labat for Progressive Electronic
    Posted: January 19 2024 at 09:40

As said in the suggestion topic for Baba Scholae, I learned about Jean-Yves Labat's existence thanks to a radio program last Monday. An incredible story, but apart from that, I think it is an artist who has his place here on PA. It might be a bit problematic that he released three solo albums under three different monikers: M. Frog, Underwater Electronic Orchestra and Derossi and the first album is much more diverse than "just" PE (with Canterbury, Kraut and other influences), but I think the three albums deserve to be listed together under the artists own name, despite their differences. It is up to the powers that be to decide to keep it like this or to split things up, if deemed necessary.

Bio:
Jean-Yves Labat, by his full name Jean-Yves Labat de Rossi (aka M. Frog, Derossi...), was born in 1947 in Clermont-Ferrand (France) and started playing organ at seven. During his studies at the famous Fine Arts School in Paris he started creating music, releasing a first single on the CBS label (pop-rock/French chanson) in 1967. He formed the band Baba Scholae with some friends, recording an album which only got released four decades later (see under Baba Scholae). In 1970 he moved to Woodstock, NY where, thanks to the recording masters of Baba Scholae, he became a recording artist for Albert Grossmann's Bearsville Records, pursuing his electro-acoustic experiments and the exploration of synthesizers. Under the name of Mister Frog he released in 1973 a first solo album with the help of musicians like Rick Danko and Garth Hudson (The Band), John Simon, Todd Rundgren, Paul Butterfield and John Holbrook (also producer and sound engineer) who he knew from Baba Scholae. M Frog is a rather hybrid album of electronic prog with Canterbury influences and with its electro-acoustic experiments sometimes reminiscent of Pierre Henry/Michel Colombier's Messe pour le temps présent.
Jean-Yves Labat was then recruited by Todd Rundgren to play synths on Todd Rundgren's Utopia and the following tour of this band before releasing a second solo album under the Underwater Electronic Orchestra moniker in 1976, more leaning towards Berlin School with electro-acoustic outings and some Giorgio Moroder leanings (or did Moroder get it from Labat?).
A conflict with Albert Grossmann made it difficult for Labat to continue recording, but following a crazy bet, he left for Uganda to meet the dictator - and accordion player - Idi Amin in order to do a new version of The Little Drummer Boy (of his last album) by recording and synthesizing Idi Amin's accordion playing. Labat was arrested and then condemned for supposed spying. He was incarcerated at the Nakasero concentration camp where, due to torture, he lost the use of his left hand which ended his career as a musician, was it not for a last - more ambient - solo album under the name Derossi in 1987. He pursues a carreer as music producer and sound engineer, most notably for Ad Vitam Records (Harmonia Mundi).

Edited by suitkees - January 19 2024 at 10:58

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 09:53

And maybe you can imagine this with dictator Idi Amin's accordion playing...

Jean-Yves Labat - Little Drummer Boy:

Edited by suitkees - January 19 2024 at 10:07

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 10:30
Hell of a story, indeed. Thanks for following the submission guidelines, that's a fine and informative bio. Doesn't look like he or Baba Scholae have been evaluated before, so I'll take them to the team.
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 10:31
And I see Labat has an entry on the PE-oriented Encyclopedia of Electronic Music, so that's a good sign:

"Labat, Jean-Yves (France)

M. Frog (1973)
Underwater Electronic Orchestra (1976)
Transition #1 (1978)
Touche (1981)
En Voyage (1987)

Synthesist on the first Todd Rundgren's Utopia album. He released some solo electronic works. Please note that Touche was released under the "Labatomy" moniker and differs substantially in style from the preceding works as it's mostly a collection of post-punk / wave songs."
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 10:43
^ Thanks. Wasn't aware of Touche (or Touché?). The discogs entry. He seems only to be credited as writer and producer, not as musician (maybe because he lost the use of one hand) - if that is something to take into account...
Note that Transition #1 is a rerelease of Underwater Electronic Orchestra, with a different track order and the Little Drummer Boy (not in the track list) integrated in the title track.

Edited by suitkees - January 19 2024 at 10:46

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2024 at 00:37
Now added to PE
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2024 at 06:39
Thanks! I added Underwater Electronic Orchestra and En voyage to the discography.
What do you think, should we add Labatomy - Touché too? It is much of a group effort and musically quite different from his solo works... I have the information ready, though.

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2024 at 09:26
I'd frankly hold off on including Labatomy since they sound like a separate, ensemble project. Otherwise, thanks for helping with the additions!
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2024 at 04:58
Thumbs Up

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 21:48
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

"Labat, Jean-Yves (France)

M. Frog (1973)
Transition #1 (1978)

Hi,

This first album is highly enjoyable, and a great listen, unless you are not interested in him or Todd swearing in voices changed through a synth (vocoder?) ... but it was a very fun listen and still gets played on Space Pirate Radio on occasion ... I got a frog in my tub ... I think of that every time I see the little froggies on our hot tub at the lake ... !!! Have not heard the other albums and will try to get on them if I can find them somewhere. Mannn ... I bet the Rasputin's left over bins have a bunch of these for a dollar!

I have to listen to the Transition #1 album I have, as I do not remember it like I do the M. Frog album, which is a riot!

A nice addition to PA ... glad to see it, and I might actually review at least one album. Kinda sad to see that he went ... over to the other side ... and had to stop playing, but is still active, it looks like.

Edited by moshkito - March 02 2024 at 21:49
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply